The Student Room Group

The Official Stocks and Shares Thread

Scroll to see replies

PrincePauper
I dont understand. why dont you sell RBS/LLOY buy PXS and make 50% to 100% gain in two days and put the money back in?? RBS will only go up or down 5%. Dont see much gain there.
No harm sitting on a faster horse and switching back. Its not like RBS is going to miss you and beg you back, if you get what I mean

It's not certain to go 50% to 100% up though is it? If it was that easy we would all put a good amount in to it. I see what you mean about RBS though, i can't see much movement and i have been watching daily for quite awhile, to the point where I have just stopped checking.

You must have quite a lot in PXS?
turn_the_page_day_by_day
Simple reason, funds. I dont have much available cash at the moment to invest and I dont see the point investing a few hundred in this because after covering broker fees I wouldnt see much profit. If I had more to invest I'd be doing the same as you, buying early tomorrow and watching it rocket to 20p next week. Just dont feel comfortable pulling money out of my fairly reliable shares (RBS/LLOY) to fund this.

How much do you plan to put into PXS tomorrow?

I'm still doing some research now, but I think about £2,000 will go into them tomorrow. You have a good feeling about them though?

I like posting in here amongst people who are on the same kind of level as me.. Seems like a good bunch developing as well.
PrincePauper
I dont understand. why dont you sell RBS/LLOY buy PXS and make 50% to 100% gain in two days and put the money back in?? RBS will only go up or down 5%. Dont see much gain there.
No harm sitting on a faster horse and switching back. Its not like RBS is going to miss you and beg you back, if you get what I mean

I had considered this, but then read a little more into PXS and tried to justify why the share had risen over the past days and found nothing. The only concern I have is that yes there might be an RNS but it could simply be them stating that there is no reason for the increase in share price, i've seen companies do this before. It might shoot up over a few days but it might not essentially. If I had a magic ball i'd be happier :P

I guess I just like knowing that a certain portion of my portfolio is very stable whilst another is slightly volatile. This is just the way I work, completely personal preference.

I hope it comes good for all of you and I'm confident it will.
TheLouisVuittonDon
I'm still doing some research now, but I think about £2,000 will go into them tomorrow. You have a good feeling about them though?

I like posting in here amongst people who are on the same kind of level as me.. Seems like a good bunch developing as well.

Yeah I do feel good about them, they have a unique product which appeals to the consumer market and major consumer brands.

Like you said though, its not guaranteed to produce 50-100% in the next week. Nothing is guaranteed.
RBS is boring me too tbh, I consider selling them daily to buy into other shares but they arent huge value in my portfolio compared to Lloyds.

If I were to invest in PXS I'd most definitely have to pull from both.
TheLouisVuittonDon
It's not certain to go 50% to 100% up though is it? If it was that easy we would all put a good amount in to it. I see what you mean about RBS though, i can't see much movement and i have been watching daily for quite awhile, to the point where I have just stopped checking.

You must have quite a lot in PXS?

I reckon it can fly tomorrow. There is too much momentum carried on from today. it went from 11p to 12.75 in the last 5 minutes!!
Im sure it will rocket but i dont know if profit taking will hinder it
I just hope you are right my friend. I have been reading more about it... Something about a new type of Coca Cola which is good for your heart. I'm just thinking whether or not this will be welcomed on to the market? Hmmm
True people may take profit on the back of the last minute rise. Although there also might be a lot of buys simple because we have a bank holiday weekend ahead, the markets closed monday and people might think maybe theres a chance of RNS on tuesday... It could slow down or it could rise....
But who knows... just my 2p
Well I checked and there were loads of buys just before the market closed today. I don't know if I see them as a long term option.. may just get out after a week if I have made a good enough profit.
TheLouisVuittonDon
I just hope you are right my friend. I have been reading more about it... Something about a new type of Coca Cola which is good for your heart. I'm just thinking whether or not this will be welcomed on to the market? Hmmm

If coca cola introduce this into their products the consumer wouldnt be impacted considerably I doubt... i've read a lot about the product, it doesnt effect taste in any way. It's already in a product but off the top of my head I cant think of the name.... you can already buy this.
Other than that maybe a slight rise in price, but they will probably cut back in another area to prevent this effecting the consumer... it would be a huge selling benefit if you're drinking something that could improve health.
turn_the_page_day_by_day
If coca cola introduce this into their products the consumer wouldnt be impacted considerably I doubt... i've read a lot about the product, it doesnt effect taste in any way. It's already in a product but off the top of my head I cant think of the name.... you can already buy this.
Other than that maybe a slight rise in price, but they will probably cut back in another area to prevent this effecting the consumer... it would be a huge selling benefit if you're drinking something that could improve health.

Ohh i see, so it's something that will just be added to normal coke which won't alter the flavour but will have a health benefit? That's very true. OK i feel good about putting my money into this.

I must admit I blindly put my money into ENK earlier :eek: i was glad to get out of it.
TheLouisVuittonDon
Ohh i see, so it's something that will just be added to normal coke which won't alter the flavour but will have a health benefit? That's very true. OK i feel good about putting my money into this.

I must admit I blindly put my money into ENK earlier :eek: i was glad to get out of it.

Exactly, although coca cola also have a lot of juice lines which would benefit this extra health benefit.
Its a very good product, i know more about the product than the company really so thats why im not commenting too much about the company itself.
Reply 111
I've been a close follower (and attempted contributor) to this thread since the beginning and wouldn't mind adding my opinion to a little debate that happened a page or so ago.

Someone came on to talk about the definition of 'short selling'. Until it was explained on this thread how this term was being used, how can you be annoyed at someone for assuming that the term was being used for anything other than actual short selling? It seems a shame that a contributor to the thread could be shot down so easily. Sure, offence was taken at being accused of potentially losing money when, by all other accounts, you have been successful. Was it constructive to dismiss someone who was simply trying to differentiate between the two uses of 'short selling'?

The beginning of the thread seemed quite promising - a discussion about shares, perhaps a good way for novices to get involved. But the way this thread has panned out is a shame. Unless you have a tip for everyone else, you are, at best, ignored.
You aren't being ignored. What do you even want to know? Maybe I missed your post. I'm sorry if that's the case.
will504
Just waiting for my letter from iii to confirm my share dealing account with them. Didn't realise (perhaps naively) it was going to be a long process of waiting for confirmation letters etc.

Trouble is, I'm going away early next week for a for weeks so some of these day deals aren't exactly ideal. Would it be a good idea to make some blue chip investments for now and look into the more volatile shares that are being talked about here once im back from travels and am able to be more committed to checking these things out?

If you are going away and unable to check up on anything then you definitely shouldn't buy any volatile shares. I find when dealing with penny stocks where it can go either way, that I need to be checking constantly throughout the day. In the space of a few minutes you could have lost a few hundred (obviously dependent upon the size of your investment) So yeah, wait until you are back before doing that.

A company such as RBS or LLOY would be a good company to put money into, you are likely to make a nice profit.. it just depends how quickly you want to see it. If you want a quick return then maybe see other stocks. PXS could be volatile but there has been a lot of buys at the end of the day which suggests that the price could shoot up possibly 10-20% tomorrow morning. I'd say if you were to get in then do it as soon as the market opens. Do your own research though.. I have quite a good track record but that's not to say that tomorrow might be a bad day for me.
Reply 114
Do any of you guys use this site? http://www.lse.co.uk/ It's really good if you wanna see what people are saying about a share.
Milch
Do any of you guys use this site? http://www.lse.co.uk/ It's really good if you wanna see what people are saying about a share.

I browse there sometimes.

So are you still in PXS?
Reply 116
TheLouisVuittonDon
I browse there sometimes.

So are you still in PXS?

yeah I'm looking forward to tommorow :biggrin: There's news being released soon and an AGM on 10/09 so alot of people (including myself) are waiting to see what happens then.

How do you think GKP's gonna turn out?
Milch
yeah I'm looking forward to tommorow :biggrin: There's news being released soon and an AGM on 10/09 so alot of people (including myself) are waiting to see what happens then.

How do you think GKP's gonna turn out?

GKP will stay around this point tomorrow. I think it may take a few weeks before it truly starts to rise, there is big potential there though I believe.

The AGM should be good news right? I haven't actually bought in yet, so am thinking whether there may be a dip after opening.. or do you think it will be an immediate rise?
Reply 118
TheLouisVuittonDon
GKP will stay around this point tomorrow. I think it may take a few weeks before it truly starts to rise, there is big potential there though I believe.

The AGM should be good news right? I haven't actually bought in yet, so am thinking whether there may be a dip after opening.. or do you think it will be an immediate rise?

There'll be an immediate rise but then its just what happens after. There may be a dip but it should close above todays price I reckon. What's your strategy for buying in the morning?
Milch
There'll be an immediate rise but then its just what happens after. There may be a dip but it should close above todays price I reckon. What's your strategy for buying in the morning?

I will be up first thing, i'm going to read what other people are saying first. I just hope the price doesn't rise literally immediately so I can't get in on it. It should open up at the price it closed right? Even if it does change within minutes?

I'm kind of nervous at the prospect. :woo:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending