The Student Room Group

The Official Stocks and Shares Thread

Scroll to see replies

(edited 12 years ago)
JimRicker
Wow look at BP now! Anyone think it's gonna fall back sub 350?

drmm
I have been thinking about getting started with some shares and all weekend was thinking about getting in with BP, kicking myself!

Gonna watch closely if they drip Im gonna get in

Get in now they could be sealing the thing pretty soon and it might go up even further. But then again it could end up going down Ide rather buy now and sell if it starts going down again.

I did have a dream about a week before seeing BP shares going to 420 ish lol :tongue:.
Analysts predict the FTSE 100 index to reach 6000 by years end, with a probability of 0.6 (Source: Yahoo Finance,UK). My number crunching predicts this outcome with a probability of 0.8 (SPSS Regressions). What do fellow investors forecasts from recent market trends (last 6 months) ?

Yes we will probably see that by years end.
Prikstera
Yes we will probably see that by years end.

How likely do you think the event is in terms of percent? Trying to decide whether the index is a good back bone for my portfolio, or if I should ostensibly play it safe with gold.
BP back up to 400. People who didn't buy a couple of days earlier missed the boat, I'm afraid. You would have made a tidy profit if you bought at 300.

crcr
No i don't think you will get the dividend, i transferred some of mine about and i missed a div. It takes about 7 weeks for a transfer if its an ISA, will be quicker if it ain't.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think transferring banks are legally required to do what they need to do within 30 days; and the bank you are transferring into usually completes the same working day - so unless I'm wrong a transfer always happens within a month? My transfer took less than 2 weeks.
I'm very pleased as I got into BP at 352.2p, the question is now how high will they go and how long will it take to get there? 500p would be nice :p:
Reply 1786
whoolahan
Originally Posted by matt1189
whats everyones thoughts on FOG.L... rns due next week, massive upside, but big risk.. I'm already 100% in but just welcome someone elses thoughts? Im also spread betting it... risskkkyyy

dam i hope he took my advice! Was clearly a stab in the dark by FOGL to keep their licsence and hit the jack pot.

I was hoping this would hit BOR harder and would be able to enter at 50p and below but wasnt to be :frown:. Now looking to get in at 60p.

Hey,

Afraid not, although my spread covered some of my loss! still down a nice 30% overall though. Cheers for the advice though, maybe greed got the better of me! Back to RKH / DES now then!
matt1189
Hey,

Afraid not, although my spread covered some of my loss! still down a nice 30% overall though. Cheers for the advice though, maybe greed got the better of me! Back to RKH / DES now then!

unlucky man, im sure youl recover your losses on FOGL, they will come back with their deep water campaign.

BOR are my pick of the FI oilies. Have huge cash reserves to absorb shocks, like fogls duster yesterday having only a small amount of impact on the SP. They have 100% interest in their prospects to date. Have massive acerage and positive looking tech data.

Im looking to enter 65p and below now then with news of deep water rig secured should tick up to 80-90p. On news of spudding think will creep up to highs of 100 maybe, will top slice 40% of my holding leaving me with a load of free shares and only a small amout exposed to a duster. Well thats how it pans out in my dreams.

Can did you hold, sell or average down your Fogl?
Reply 1788
whoolahan
unlucky man, im sure youl recover your losses on FOGL, they will come back with their deep water campaign.

BOR are my pick of the FI oilies. Have huge cash reserves to absorb shocks, like fogls duster yesterday having only a small amount of impact on the SP. They have 100% interest in their prospects to date. Have massive acerage and positive looking tech data.

Im looking to enter 65p and below now then with news of deep water rig secured should tick up to 80-90p. On news of spudding think will creep up to highs of 100 maybe, will top slice 40% of my holding leaving me with a load of free shares and only a small amout exposed to a duster. Well thats how it pans out in my dreams.

Can did you hold, sell or average down your Fogl?

I keep hearing alot about BOR.. im going to look into them myself. I havn't re-invested anymore money as yet, it's just sitting in my trading account. When are BOR likely to begin drilling?

In the end I sold, I looked at averaging down, even holding till they source a deepwater rig as im sure FOGL will hit! But as I see it, it's dead money for now, next rig won't come till early next year so I may aswel put the money to good use.

Even looking back on the FOGL result, im glad I stayed in, would have been gutted if it was a hit and i'd got out early! I must say I wasn't happy to see the opening price of 70p... but I managed to sell at £1.15 / £1.20 in the end. :sadnod:
matt1189
I keep hearing alot about BOR.. im going to look into them myself. I havn't re-invested anymore money as yet, it's just sitting in my trading account. When are BOR likely to begin drilling?

In the end I sold, I looked at averaging down, even holding till they source a deepwater rig as im sure FOGL will hit! But as I see it, it's dead money for now, next rig won't come till early next year so I may aswel put the money to good use.

Even looking back on the FOGL result, im glad I stayed in, would have been gutted if it was a hit and i'd got out early! I must say I wasn't happy to see the opening price of 70p... but I managed to sell at £1.15 / £1.20 in the end. :sadnod:

most likely to start drilling first quater of 2011, of course maybe sooner if a drill ship is secured soonish. Im hopeing for slight delays as weill mop up more cheap shares :biggrin:

What other shares you in?
Reply 1790
rbs will go to 50p before end of di week
Opened up a demo account with capital spreads since I didn't have the capital available for the margin, really wish I had listened to my instincts and borrowed (leveraged), 25K would of been a great start to my fund. I'm sure fellow investors (and especially speculators) understand the frustration of a missed trade.

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/1981/picture1pu.png

Profit/Loss: +£25,000

Would it be a good idea to invest in FTSE100 companies considering that it is expected to rise to the 6000 mark by the end of the year?

From the recent rally I suspect that there will be a slight slide over the next week. However, after this period it would indeed be a good idea to invest (not speculate) in an index that tracks the FTSE 100, as the rise by years end is going to be a significant element of most investors portfolios. Not only is it a relatively low risk trade, but also one with a relatively high return.

Well I am going to leave my demo account open and will update the figures, may post a graphical analysis if anyone is interested....
MATD, get in early morning tomorrow peeps, the next RKH.

watch out for COVE as well.
Reply 1793
can u explain how you got those predictions econs? what exactly are u basing your arguement for the ftse going up on specifically? why do u think gold is safe? plus demo accounts don't mean ****, cuda,wuda,shuda...

i don't know anything about bank transfers, all im saying is just how long it took me. The cash wasn't the problem is was the equities, us-listed came through a week after the uk-listed as well.
Certainly can elaborate crcr. I got the future forecast numbers (although the underlying assumptions are questionable) from a few commercial analysts (including: Yahoo Finance, The Economist, The Times), and created a simple regression using SPSS 18. The results seemed quite interesting as the correlations were quite high, so I decided to view historical trends (although only novice traders tend to focus on historical trends and incorporate charts into there analysis).

In particular, I researched dependent asset classes that may have an influence on the FTSE index and certain economic indicators that attempt to predict the economic climate over the next 6 months. Most importantly, analysed many of the companies quarter two reports. They seem to be ostensibly healthy and 6000 by years end is rather pessimistic.

Gold is safe in terms of robust demand and scarcity of supply. Unlike other minerals (namely oil), bringing more gold onto markets can take up to 10 years and billions need to be invested first (this is now a bigger concern than ever before). This combined with the inherent nature for the demand of gold in certain cultures (Indian & China) makes it a almost certain gainer in the longer term for the backbone of a portfolio, hedging for riskier bets. Did you know that rural India has the same quantity of gold as that in the US reserve.

I tend to execute trades over the phone and therefore follow my portfolio using demo accounts, so any trade I do make on a demo is usually followed up over the phone.

Indeed, demo accounts don't mean ****. I could open up 40 accounts, of which 20 going long and 20 going short. Of the 20 that rise, again I could go 10 short, 10 long. Of the 10 that rise, I could go 5 short, 5 long. Of the 5 that rise again I could go 2/3 short, 2/3 long. Of the 2/3 that rise I could go 1/2 long, 1/2 short. This could plausibly generate 500K profit over a few months. What point are you trying to make?
Reply 1795
cheers - my point with demo is that its emotionally pretty different, but it didn't reli matter - i think gold was a safer bet when no1 wanted it, i would say optimistic scenairos are fully priced, esp as there is more people who own futures gold than physical if you get me, if it goes higher those ppl in India will be selling, nothing is certain. but each to his own. - yeh the analyst numbers aren't right in any of those places, bberg is the only reliable one as far as i can tell. I was more interested in the quantitative analysis process, what u mean q2 reports? as far as i am aware most, if not all, uk companies don't report quarterly. did u do this for a uni project? sounds pretty artificial.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-07-13/gold-gains-most-in-a-month-on-increasing-demand-for-metals-commodities.html

The article does push forward your view, indeed, the gold futures market does seem to some degree quite irrational at the moment. However, the commodity is not likely to be highly volatile and the optimism is not exuberant. In the long run I expect the gains prove to be sustainable (ALMOST certainly). Lets see where it goes:

http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/8748/picture1oq.png

I don't think you have read into India's demand deeply enough to be able to make an informed opinion (although this is the internet). Gold is part of the religion and culture in general. Household are not speculators, price swings have very little effect on the sell side, this is because they keep there gold as part of the tradition and pass it on through generations, they accumulate. In particular, with the gold they already own they recycle it, in the sense that they take it to jewelers and get new things added to it etc.

Indeed, each to his own, it's healthy to have others on the other side of bets...........
Reply 1797
yep i'm aware of their view on gold, but if you look to what happened to silver in the late 70s with the hunt bubble everyone has a price. so what you say is right, but only right in a world where gold never goes up i.e its a reflexive process. the point is maybe if gold goes up faster than real income in say India then there will be a point where people will start selling.
I'm torn between investing in Domino's Pizza and LLoyds TSB, although I am going to wait for a better time to buy, which one should I go for?
Ok I have found a really, really weird compnay: shore capital group
http://www.iii.co.uk/investment/detail?code=cotn:s-smilie:GR.L&display=fundamentals&it=le

Can someone tell me why their market capitalisation is lower than their shareholders' funds? Is this company a steal or really risky?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending