Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i have actually already applied with this year, with this personal statement, but i would be really interested to know what any of you guys think of it - what kinda things you'd have said if i was asking for advice before sending.

So, here it is:
    (although i don't intend to leave it up here to long)

Ok, it's gone now - but thanks for all the comments

ReputationRep:
    I like your introduction - keeps my attention, but I'm rather unsure of it. Pigeons according to me do not contemplate the world, do they?

ReputationRep:
    Pigeons according to me do not contemplate the world, do they?
    hehe... i spent half my 2nd interview discussing that - or variations thereof... That was definitely my favourite part of both interviews - it lead onto discussions about whether animals 'think', and if they don't - then can we claim to, and then a discussion about artificial intelligence and computers - that was fun

I wrote it 'cos i was getting bored writing my PS, and i was sat looking at the pigeons in my garden, who are very cool - they sit on branchs waaaay too thin, then look really surprised when they bounce madly and nearly snap - but they stay there anyway, and look distinctly like they're comtemplating their own little worlds... having said that - they do also look extremely stupid sometimes... so perhaps i just have an overactive imagination. :rolleyes:

so, um... i did originally write it while i was messing around, but it stuck...

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't sure about the pigeons bit, but otherwise it is quite fantastic. Mine was nothing like as impressive, and I'm at Warwick doing philosophy now

Oh, and I have an ancient philosophy exam tomorrow, so I should probably go revise. Good luck with your exams too - and good luck at Cambridge :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by groovy_moose)
    hehe... i spent half my 2nd interview discussing that - or variations thereof... That was definitely my favourite part of both interviews - it lead onto discussions about whether animals 'think', and if they don't - then can we claim to, and then a discussion about artificial intelligence and computers - that was fun

I wrote it 'cos i was getting bored writing my PS, and i was sat looking at the pigeons in my garden, who are very cool - they sit on branchs waaaay too thin, then look really surprised when they bounce madly and nearly snap - but they stay there anyway, and look distinctly like they're comtemplating their own little worlds... having said that - they do also look extremely stupid sometimes... so perhaps i just have an overactive imagination. :rolleyes:

so, um... i did originally write it while i was messing around, but it stuck...
    the pigeons thing was attention-capturing, and i would have said good, except i have felt homicidal loathing towards the birds ever since one crapped on my library book when i was reading it.

your ps seems to have worked though.

ReputationRep:
    That was a brilliant personal statement. I applied to St Catz, Cambridge (didn't get in) and my PS was not a patch on that! I think your PS contains everything that Cambridge look for - an intelligent but not boring discussion of why you want to study the subject and other personal attributes, like your music. They love stuff like that.

ReputationRep:
    Aww, I like the pigeon bit. Very original

ReputationRep:
    Yeh I think it's wicked. I do like reading personal statements for some reason....and philosophy, double maths and music, a cool combination. Says: seriously logical but at the same time a free and creative thinker lol.

I'm the only one in my school doing double maths with anything artistic and I think it really works well and it says a lot about someone if they are not only very competent in diverse areas but seek out the overlaps as does your PS.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, i get told that it's an unusual combination quite a lot, but i never thought out it like that because one of my friends did exactly the same thing. I imagine there are even fewer people who do theatre studies with couble maths (as per you sig), although i nearly did that aswell (infact i almost applied to do stage management and tech theatre instead of philosophy), but i do alot of lighting/spound/props stuff for shows and the AS/A level performances

the pigeons thing was attention-capturing, and i would have said good, except i have felt homicidal loathing towards the birds ever since one crapped on my library book when i was reading it.
    hehe... i discovered, after i'd sent it, that there are quite a few people out there with an absolute hate for pigeons... i decided that it was worth the risk in the end though... (i think the problem is that the pigeons in my garden are actually closer to doves than pigeons you get in the high street, and thus are somewhat nicer than many people imagine... :rolleyes: )

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19
Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

Student on bed with laptop

All student accommodation articles

City guides and advice on finding the right place

Photo of apprentices

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A young woman talking to her mother

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.