when does maintenance grant come through? Watch

This discussion is closed.
iman.x
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
i just checked student finance and ive been approved for tuition and maintenance loan.
i used the student finance calculator and im entitled to the full grant. so i was just wondering how the payments are made with the grant? im going to need the money as soon as i start the degree but i've read that you may not get it until a month after you start.
if im entitled to the full £2906, then when do they come through and how much in each installment?

thanks
Advertisement
sigstuff
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The grant and loan are paid in 3 installments 33%, 33% then 34% at the beginning of each term. The first one should come in on the first day your course starts I think depending on when you sent your application off and received confirmation.
hannahlou27
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You should get a letter from the Student Loans Company with a list of when you'll get all your payments/how much you'll get in each installment. I got mine through the other day.
Advertisement
.x.Steff.x.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
yer you will get a letter off the student loans company saying when you will get it and how much

you may get it the day you start or may have to wait a couple of weeks ( i had to wait a few weeks last yr)
Fartlek
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by iman.x)
if im entitled to the full £2906, then when do they come through and how much in each installment?

thanks
It's normally the first monday after you enrol at Uni. Normally.

For example,
£969 on 28/09/09
£969 on 11/01/10
£968 on 19/04/10
My Maintenance Loan also comes through on these dates.

You should get a "Payment Schedule Letter" from Student Finance England detailing the dates and amounts.
Advertisement
Howlaround
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
First off, i'm sorry for bumping a really old thread. But after searching Google, this one fits what i'm about to continue with perfectly. But with it being 2013 now, has anything changed? Should I be worried my grant hasn't come through a week after I started my course/finished the enrolment? Everything was fine and it's all meant to be processing, but it does seem quite a long time...

Edit: Just read the finance declaration and it says it should be paid within 3-4 days of your university confirming your attendance and the date I was told i'd be paid by was 23/09/13. I'm presuming this is just down to the university then and not when you enrolled?
eXemp
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
nope.. im literally in the EXACT same situatiuon as you. Student finance rihgt now are in a backlog and so depending on when u did your app , they havent fully processed some yet. But its fine.. they can take as long as they want.. its not like some of us have accomodation bills to pay or anything.
Advertisement
Howlaround
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by eXemp)
nope.. im literally in the EXACT same situatiuon as you. Student finance rihgt now are in a backlog and so depending on when u did your app , they havent fully processed some yet. But its fine.. they can take as long as they want.. its not like some of us have accomodation bills to pay or anything.
Ah, i'm glad i'm not the only one! Thankfully, I haven't got accommodation to pay. But I was also thinking of others who would have to pay and thinking "isn't this a bit late?"

I think we'll probably get on Friday seeing as it's the end of "Freshers week" and they think that my majority won't spend it all in the first 2 weeks. Same as paying after Christmas, and then after Easter...(not that anyone's gonna spend a few thousand on choc!)

Also, if anyone has actually been paid after starting on the 23rd, please say!

Thanks.
eXemp
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
well i started last sunday.. and still my application says it has been submitted. ALL my payments say progressing , which means they havent even approved it yet. I called em up this evening , and they told me that the next few days is their "catchup" period where they have to go through the apps that havent been processed yet. Im in that pile. so thatll be fun.
Advertisement
Howlaround
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by eXemp)
well i started last sunday.. and still my application says it has been submitted. ALL my payments say progressing , which means they havent even approved it yet. I called em up this evening , and they told me that the next few days is their "catchup" period where they have to go through the apps that havent been processed yet. Im in that pile. so thatll be fun.
How do you find out if it's processing? I think i've missed something somewhere. Do you have to sign into the DirectGov site or something?

Good luck and hope you get your grant as soon as possible though!

Edit: Ignore that, if you sign into your student grant account on DirectGov, then go into "View Correspondence", then click, "view payments" it will show you what's been submitted and give you a proper up-to-date payment date.
Mr Smurf
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Normally within 1-3 days after an ID check with your uni during induction for first year.
Advertisement
eXemp
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
yh you log into student finance then at the bottom should be my payments. go there and you can see the current status. Mine has been on "progressing" for about 3 months now.
Howlaround
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by eXemp)
yh you log into student finance then at the bottom should be my payments. go there and you can see the current status. Mine has been on "progressing" for about 3 months now.
3 months?! Blimey. Did you get it in by the proper date? I got mine in literally on the date due to them sending it back to me and mine's on "submitted" by the grant one and all the others have been "approved".

(Original post by Mr Smurf)
Normally within 1-3 days after an ID check with your uni during induction for first year.
My original point was that it hadn't come through within 1-3 days.
Advertisement
eXemp
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
well i did mine on the due date just like you did. then they sent me the declaration form . but , (oh boy is this bit so fun) , they sent me the form for a university I DIDNT EVEN CHOOSE IN MY UCAS CHOICES..
Howlaround
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by eXemp)
well i did mine on the due date just like you did. then they sent me the declaration form . but , (oh boy is this bit so fun) , they sent me the form for a university I DIDNT EVEN CHOOSE IN MY UCAS CHOICES..
Seriously? Ouch. That's dead annoying. I know of someone who's application couldn't be accepted 'cause they'd sent a form back with their mothers date of birth being the same year as her own birth and now they won't change it!
eXemp
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
well theres nothing i can do now tbh .. i am at the mercy of the student finance gods.. if they have one. Cuz if they fck up my finances , then i will be forced to drop out ,and if i do , they will need a god...
foxyyy
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Sorry to interrupt, but do any of you know if the grants come in at the same time as the loan? I received money yesterday but when I added it up, it was obvious something was missing. I haven't received a entitlement letter yet so I can't be too sure the amount I am missing but I do know that I am entitled to both grant and loan.
Advertisement
mikeorchard
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by foxyyy)
Sorry to interrupt, but do any of you know if the grants come in at the same time as the loan? I received money yesterday but when I added it up, it was obvious something was missing. I haven't received a entitlement letter yet so I can't be too sure the amount I am missing but I do know that I am entitled to both grant and loan.
They do come at the same time. What does your online account say you're entitled to? (View Payments after logging in should say what you're getting and when).
eXemp
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
my payments say my grant is being "prepared" meaning it will come on the 4th of october. My loan on the other hand is "block" cuz they check NI i think. So in my case , my grant seems to be coming earlier.
Howlaround
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think the loans come earlier, but I didn't apply for the loan so i'm not sure. I got my grant in the end, I forgot to update my last post.

I hope everyone else gets everything their entitled to/applied for as soon as possible! Good luck!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19