As computing- soft? Watch

This discussion is closed.
shmoogle
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
hi, just wondering can AS computing be considered a "soft" a level to go with maths bio and chem?..... or is the coursework there way too much

thats As computing not A....

thanks
The Colonel
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Not as soft as IT and there is some pretty hard stuff on the syllabus
Tindo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Back then in my computing class we had about 18 people, now there are only about 8 left including me.

I do Maths, F.Maths and Physics. I wanted to drop Computing, but HOY didnt let me.
martynwilliams
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Computing and IT, in my opinion, are two totally different subjects. A few in my year who took degrees in computer science (they also did A’ level Maths) have dropped out and started a degree in another subject because the jump from IT to Computer science wasn’t what they expected.

I took IT at GCSE and got an A*, went on to do A’ level computing (WJEC) – as I thought at the time I would go on and do an IT related degree, but it totally put me off doing a degree in IT (because it was way too hard!), and as a result, I’m now doing a degree in Politics and International relations (which is absolutely fantastic!!)
kpg
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I did Computing, Maths, Chem and Human Bio. Dropped Computing after AS though, which was always the plan. Really didnt like it though, thought the topics were boring and the teachers were awful (maybe they go hand in hand?). We had about half the year to do the coursework and in reality, had I worked on it properly could've finished it in about 2 weeks. The only revision I did for it was about an hour before the exam from notes we were given in college. Got an A in the end though.

I suppose it was a welcome contrast to the other 3 subjects. I wouldnt call it soft though.
englishrose
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I have a lot of friends who took AS Computing. They would most definately tell you that it isn't a soft subject, but that may be partly down to the level of incompetance of Computing teachers in my school. My brother, who is going into year 12 next year, was considering taking Computing as a soft option to go with Maths, Physics and Chemistry. After having talked to people who took the subject, he may well be changing to something else, as it seems to be a huge step up from GCSE ICT.
martynwilliams
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by englishrose)
as it seems to be a huge step up from GCSE ICT.
It most certainly is!
TomX
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'm doing Maths, Further Maths and Computing (kind of Physics too) and Computing is a great subject if you like programming. And if you do like programming the coursework will be easy. It took me 2 nights to get the program mostly done whilst it took people in my class a lot of lesson time, where I had the chance of improving it, but I left it like an idiot would.

Take Computing if you think you are a bit nerdy

It's not a huge step if you've done programming before, the theory is new but just like any subject.
kpg
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by TomX)
I'm doing Maths, Further Maths and Computing (kind of Physics too) and Computing is a great subject if you like programming. And if you do like programming the coursework will be easy. It took me 2 nights to get the program mostly done whilst it took people in my class a lot of lesson time, where I had the chance of improving it, but I left it like an idiot would.

Take Computing if you think you are a bit nerdy

It's not a huge step if you've done programming before, the theory is new but just like any subject.
What exam board did you do? See, I did GNVQ ICT (worth 2 GCSE) instead of GCSE Ict and that was a doddle to be honest. I thought computing was going to be much more technical and involve a lot of programming, but the coruse we did (AQA) simply didn't. I did my project/coursework in Access as we were given the choice and it worked fine. The exam had a small amount of programming in it but nothing too heavy and a lot of the other paper (unit 2 I think?) was common sense and a bit GCSE-like in the way there questions about passwords/backing up/file security etc.
Tindo
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by kpg)
The only revision I did for it was about an hour before the exam from notes we were given in college. Got an A in the end though.
Whoaaa How did you do that? I havent even started on Computing revision.

My computing teachers are awful aswel :mad:
ljfrugn
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
It's an enjoyable subject, but at AS it doesn't really take up a lot of time - the exams are VERY predictable, and there isn't a large amount of theory to learn in each module, especially if you're relatively competent with computers in the first place.
kpg
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Tindo)
Whoaaa How did you do that? I havent even started on Computing revision.

My computing teachers are awful aswel :mad:
Well, by revision I meant outside of class. In the lessons we did a couple of past papers and the teachers droned on and on like parrots As ljfrugn said, the exams are very similar every year and there isnt much to learn.
trev
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by shmoogle)
hi, just wondering can AS computing be considered a "soft" a level to go with maths bio and chem?..... or is the coursework there way too much

thats As computing not A....

thanks
If it's AQA, it's alright. There's no coursework involved. However, you will need to make a database and document it. Therefore, you will bring in the documentation with you in the exam. You will just have to study 2 units of theory, which you can handle.
Arminius
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I did AS computing (edexcell).

I gave it up because (get this) it was too easy.

I just diddn't see any point in carrying it on, it was boring, the teachers (and some of the students) were morons. And it was just a complete doss. I diddn't think it was really worth the paper it was written on when compared to say maths or physics.

In terms of difficulty its a fair bit harder than gcse it and in particular the programming is quite tricky. From a practical view it can get quite challenging.

The exams however i'd describe as not much more than gcse level and they treat you as if you were that age.

Just my opinion, i know its a bit harsh but after doing it for a year it just felt so soft compared to maths etc
trev
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Zakatu)
I did AS computing (edexcell).

I gave it up because (get this) it was too easy.

I just diddn't see any point in carrying it on, it was boring, the teachers (and some of the students) were morons. And it was just a complete doss. I diddn't think it was really worth the paper it was written on when compared to say maths or physics.

In terms of difficulty its a fair bit harder than gcse it and in particular the programming is quite tricky. From a practical view it can get quite challenging.

The exams however i'd describe as not much more than gcse level and they treat you as if you were that age.

Just my opinion, i know its a bit harsh but after doing it for a year it just felt so soft compared to maths etc
I think it's kind of tough especially the A2 part of it. The AS part is alright though. Overall, I would say the subject is hard. Yeah, some parts of the course is boring, but the stuff like programming is interesting, as you havn't learn it before.

The exams are quite handable. I would imagine the A2 one will be quite hard. One module in the A2 is synoptic which is even worse.
TomX
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by kpg)
What exam board did you do? See, I did GNVQ ICT (worth 2 GCSE) instead of GCSE Ict and that was a doddle to be honest. I thought computing was going to be much more technical and involve a lot of programming, but the coruse we did (AQA) simply didn't. I did my project/coursework in Access as we were given the choice and it worked fine. The exam had a small amount of programming in it but nothing too heavy and a lot of the other paper (unit 2 I think?) was common sense and a bit GCSE-like in the way there questions about passwords/backing up/file security etc.
I also did GNVQ ICT Intermediate (I thought it was worth 4 GCSEs) but there was a total mockup of it in my high school. Nobody got a merit or higher, there was about 2 passes and then a further 10 after remarking. The coursework we was given was wrong supposedly so our mark rested upon what we got in the exam. Pretty lame eh :P
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18

Do you like exams?