The Student Room Group
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen

University of Aberdeen Halls, what to expect?

Now that the time is drawing closer I was wondering what sort of amenities I can expect to find in halls (with regards to things such as pots and pans etc.) I don't to turn up with a bunch of stuff only to find it's already there, equally I don't want to turn up with nothing and have to buy new stuff once I'm there. I'll be staying in Esslemont house at Hillhead Halls if that makes a specific difference?

Scroll to see replies

I'm the same, however I've just went and bought things. If we do happen to have stuff then we have spares and can dump the rest under the bed :wink:

I think in normal cases you need to bring pans etc...
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen
Reply 2
Pryste
Now that the time is drawing closer I was wondering what sort of amenities I can expect to find in halls (with regards to things such as pots and pans etc.) I don't to turn up with a bunch of stuff only to find it's already there, equally I don't want to turn up with nothing and have to buy new stuff once I'm there. I'll be staying in Esslemont house at Hillhead Halls if that makes a specific difference?

Nothing is provided...When you move in all that is there is a microwave, fridge freezer, kettle, toaster and a couple of mini oven things. So you need to take your own crockery and cooking utensils, or try and borrow off people who do have them :p:

As for other things, their is a hoover (although ours was broken half the time) although the cleaners clean the flat every 2 weeks. Nice to keep it tidy! In your room you get a study lamp and that's it.
Reply 3
I like to have my own pans, I don't like cheap crap, so I have a nice Italian frying pan, it's very heavy and has quite an advanced non-stick coating. I don't let any one use it all, I don't want my things getting messed up by people for example using a metal fork in a non-stick pan.

The rest of the stuff we share between us, although I do have my own knives (some nice Sheffield steel ones) which I'm not *that* keen on others using.
Reply 4
There is so much to buy i've not really got a clue where to start, a day out to Ikea with a list from the internet is probably what I'm going to go for, glad to see a kettle is provided though!
The only thing I've got which I'm quite looking forward to using is a cheese toasty machine/grill type thing. I think it's just a poor man's george foreman tbh but you can cook sausages and that , and it also "drains away those nasty fats" :yep:
Reply 5
^ Make toasties in a griddle frying pan, they're much better. You make the toastie as a normal sandwich, no butter on the inside. Then you butter the outside of the bread and put it in a hot pan, it goes lovely and golden and you don't get the "squashed" soggy mess than a toastie machine gives.

Annnnyway from the top of my head.

Decent non stick frying pan, a deep one so it can be used for curries, bolognaise etc.
A big roasting tin/baking tray
Oven dish - pyrex/ceramic
Plates/Bowls - I have some really biiiig deep plates, can really fill them with pasta and sauces etc without spilling over.
Cutlery/Spatulas etc
Storage boxes for stuff in the fridge
Sieve
Cheese Grater
Knives
Cups/Glasses
Chopping Board
Tea Towels
Scrubbing things for cleaning dishes
Washing Basket
Clothes Horse

Errrrrrr....can't think what else!
Reply 6
you forgot the essential item: a bottle opener :biggrin:
Reply 7
fiona_123
you forgot the essential item: a bottle opener :biggrin:

Dear God, how did I forget that. I usually use my Swisstool for that so it doesn't really count as a necessity hah.
Reply 8
in ikea you can get a starter's cooking pack with almost everything you need...thats what ive done :smile:
Reply 9
Thanks for all the replies, good to know. I asked because I'm coming up in the car and I want to gage how much I'll be able to fit.
Reply 10
Pryste
Thanks for all the replies, good to know. I asked because I'm coming up in the car and I want to gage how much I'll be able to fit.

I'm doing just the opposite, since I'll be flying there my plan is just to stop by the local tesco's once I get to Aberdeen.
Monteir0
I'm doing just the opposite, since I'll be flying there my plan is just to stop by the local tesco's once I get to Aberdeen.

I'm going to say good luck to you.
Reply 12
Entangled
I'm going to say good luck to you.

Well, thank you kind sir :yep:
Monteir0
Well, thank you kind sir

I say that because the nearest Tesco I know of is a small one off of Union Street. The nearest big one you'll get is the Danestone Tesco, which is across the river and west a bit. :p:
Reply 14
Entangled
I say that because the nearest Tesco I know of is a small one off of Union Street. The nearest big one you'll get is the Danestone Tesco, which is across the river and west a bit. :p:

Damn.. Lets hope they do deliveries
Monteir0
Damn.. Lets hope they do deliveries

Yeah, should do. Asda, where I work, deliver, and they're out towards the airport. Supermarkets would be insane not to deliver to Hillhead and other halls - a really dense, consistent collection of customers. So they will do.
Reply 16
Entangled
Yeah, should do. Asda, where I work, deliver, and they're out towards the airport. Supermarkets would be insane not to deliver to Hillhead and other halls - a really dense, consistent collection of customers. So they will do.

Supermarkets deliver :eek: !:eek: ! and yet another :eek: !

Well that's something I've never encountered before... then again my apartment at the mo is in more or less the same building as a supermarket so I guess it would have never occurred to me to ask lol.
I'm chuffed with working there though - I've got my 10% discount card. That'll come in handy with cost-cutting. But I've heard that Lidl (there's one just off King Street) stocks some really nice vegetables. And, to tell you the truth, they probably have some decent chocolate and things like cheese.
Reply 18
jthornton17
in ikea you can get a starter's cooking pack with almost everything you need...thats what ive done :smile:

How much is it, and what does it have in it?
Reply 19
Entangled
And, to tell you the truth, they probably have some decent chocolate and things like cheese.

But then who sells nice wine the most cheaply?

Latest

Trending

Trending