Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    If you haven't got the results you wanted:
    - this isn't the end of the world or the end of medicine in most cases
    - it may restrict which medical schools you can apply to in the future, however
    - before panicking, have a look at the links below

A summary of the GCSE requirements for each university (for 2009 entry so possibly a little out of date) can be found here

Information about the grades people have been successful at getting into university with can be found in the medics and applicants profiles thread here and should demonstrate the wide range of results that allowed people to obtain a place at medical school

All threads concerning GCSE results will be merged with this one to keep it all together

ReputationRep:
    hi just went and got my GCSE results and im really disappointed i got
    2 A*s
    8 As
    2 Bs

and i was wondering have i lost all chances of doing medicine i am really upset and disappointed
    thank you

ReputationRep:
    nope not at all and dont worry at all hahaha.....you may be dissapointed but they are actually very good grades.......to put it into perspective, i know someone who got 6A's 3B's and got into medicine....the only thing you may want to watch out for is if your applying for oxbridge....but still! ....hope this helps and chin up

ReputationRep:
    thank you very much i was really really upset still am. Im just scared i wont be able to do my dream job thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shivangee)
    hi just went and got my GCSE results and im really disappointed i got
    2 A*s
    8 As
    2 Bs

and i was wondering have i lost all chances of doing medicine i am really upset and disappointed
    thank you
    There's a GCSE specific thread at the top of the forum (the green sticky) which has a few links which should help put your mind at ease a bit

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I want to read medicine but are these grades fine?

A* (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, English, Food, French)
    A (Maths, English literature, Art)

and A* in chinese taken much earlier, does it count?

Since I thought maths was quite important and I don't know if it's ok without it being an A*.

Thanks x

ReputationRep:
    Obviously they are fine.

ReputationRep:
    7 A*, 3 A's is easily goodf enough for medicine,

just have to hope you get a few good A's at A level!

I hate this forum.

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by White Hibiscus)
    LUL I GOTS ME LIEK LOADZ OF TEH A*'RZ
    Since really only chemistry and biology are needed, and you got the highest grade you possibly could, why even bother threading? :confused:

Im hoping for a similar career track but only got an A in chem, and B in bio, So im going to knuckle down at 6th form

ReputationRep:
    I failed miserable.. Bs in both... requesting remark though. Chemistry was bad for the two years though.. I practically had to teach myself the syllabus.

ReputationRep:
    Well i got 7As and 3Bs
    yup its not amazing for medicine
    but im not giving up !
    I'll just make sure my A levels are spectacular and my P.S
    Nothing is gonna stop me from doing medicine

ReputationRep:
    Not sure how to make this anonymous but if possible I'd like it to be

Have just had my GCSE and one AS level results and while they aren't a complete unmitigated disaster, and I have nothing below a B, they aren't that great. Just seeking some reassurance that it won't affect my chances of getting into medicine, as long as I get good A-Level results. [I already ruled out Bham uni cause I want to get away from home, like London or Cardiff or Glasgow]. Do (m)any other unis have a value for the number of A*s they want? I need to decide whether or not it's worth getting papers remarked or resitting some of them. If it's not going to be worth it then I'll just leave them as they are and try to forget about it!
    For reference, I got A* in maths, french and RS(s/c), B in Eng Lit, History ( I was supposed to get A* in history) and AS computing, and As in everything else, inc. triple science.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    With a bit of care you shall be fine.

For extra bonus points consult the various wiki tables on GCSE requirements before adding to the plethora of "Great flange biscuits of fire, I've not got all A*s! Is all hope lost?" threads.

Good luck though.

ReputationRep:
    Only a few universities care really. As long as you have at least a B in english and maths then most top universities are happy.
    I got 4 A*s, 4 As and 3 Bs and I got accepted to warwick, york, cardiff and durham (got rejected from bristol, but everyone from my school did, even those who got in to oxbridge)

ReputationRep:
    I just got my gcse's - 9 A's and 3 B's.

The A's included triple science and maths. The B's were for french, german and statistics.

Im choosing my a levels tomorrow so I want to know if im aiming to high to get in medical school.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    If you choose your places right then yes. Some places want a certain amount of A*'s. Look at prospectuses and the TSR wiki to help you find out which ones you can apply to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dancingkate_x)
    I just got my gcse's - 9 A's and 3 B's.

The A's included triple science and maths. The B's were for french, german and statistics.

Im choosing my a levels tomorrow so I want to know if im aiming to high to get in medical school.

Thanks
    depends where you want to study medicine and if you think your going to get really good A Level grades with alot of work experience

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, they should be fine!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.