Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    what does 'baka' mean, cos its like a nickname that ive picked up at college, but i dont know what it means.

ReputationRep:
    The word baka means idiot, fool or silly (depending on the context)

ReputationRep:
    Yea, it means 'stupid'. I've lived in Japan all my life.

ReputationRep:
    What was it like in Japan. I'd really like to visit. I've been (kinda)learning very basic Japanese for 3 years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by androidkiller)
    What was it like in Japan. I'd really like to visit. I've been (kinda)learning very basic Japanese for 3 years.
    It's great, i'm sick of it though :P. What specifically do you want to know?

ReputationRep:
    I like to go to Japan because of the Cherry Blossoms, the festivals, and the anime!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ladyblitzer)
    I like to go to Japan because of the Cherry Blossoms, the festivals, and the anime!!!
    Haha, yea the anime is great here. I love the studio Ghibli ones!!! Hehe. When I was little I loved Sailor Moon. I remember vividely when I was four I played 'sailor moon' with my Japanese friends. Evangelion rocks as well.

The thing about Japan is that you find just as many female anime lovers as male, when I think in other countries males seem to be more in it (this is generally but...). EVERYONE is into manga, haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vavavoom)
    Haha, yea the anime is great here. I love the studio Ghibli ones!!! Hehe. When I was little I loved Sailor Moon. I remember vividely when I was four I played 'sailor moon' with my Japanese friends. Evangelion rocks as well.

The thing about Japan is that you find just as many female anime lovers as male, when I think in other countries males seem to be more in it (this is generally but...). EVERYONE is into manga, haha.
    and since i'm a big big anime fan, i want to learn how to speak the language so i won't have to keep looking for anime with subtitles

yeah, i can remember loving sailor moon when i was a kid. i collected cards, stickers, i even had a necklace with a moon and a shirt!

ReputationRep:
    and since i'm a big big anime fan, i want to learn how to speak the language so i won't have to keep looking for anime with subtitles

yeah, i can remember loving sailor moon when i was a kid. i collected cards, stickers, i even had a necklace with a moon and a shirt!
    Hahaha, when I was six I got a sailor moon wand for Christmas. Thanx Santa!

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha, when I was six I got a sailor moon wand for Christmas. Thanx Santa!
    cool! i'd love to get anime eps for christmas!!!

i only know a few japanese words/phrases... from too much watching, i was able to pick up a few:
    aishteru
    kirei/ kawaii
    nani? / nandato/ nan desu ka
    baka (hehe)
    the usual greetings: shimashen, mushi mushi, konichiwa, konbanwa, arigato, ohayo

not sure with the sp's though

Watashi wa kawaii des! Anata wa baka des! LOL. and those are the sentences I know.

ReputationRep:
    cool! i'd love to get anime eps for christmas!!!

i only know a few japanese words/phrases... from too much watching, i was able to pick up a few:
    aishteru
    kirei/ kawaii
    nani? / nandato/ nan desu ka
    baka (hehe)
    the usual greetings: shimashen, mushi mushi, konichiwa, konbanwa, arigato, ohayo

not sure with the sp's though

Watashi wa kawaii des! Anata wa baka des! LOL. and those are the sentences I know.
    Hahaha, cute. Though, 'shimashen' = 'I won't do it'. I think you mean 'suimasen'. 'mushi mushi' = 'bug bug' , haha. It's 'moshi moshi'.

Watashi baka jyanai yo!! :P. haha.

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha, cute. Though, 'shimashen' = 'I won't do it'. I think you mean 'suimasen'. 'mushi mushi' = 'bug bug' , haha. It's 'moshi moshi'.

Watashi baka jyanai yo!! :P. haha.
    ahaha! my bad. suimasen, is that welcome? hehe. bug bug. ok, gomen nasai

what does your sentence mean? i can only recognize watashi and baka. hehehe

ReputationRep:
    ahaha! my bad. suimasen, is that welcome? hehe. bug bug. ok, gomen nasai

what does your sentence mean? i can only recognize watashi and baka. hehehe
    'Suimasen' can have two meanings. It can mean 'i'm sorry' or it can mean 'hello?'<---to elaborate you use it like:

'Suimasen, imasuka?' <--Hello, are you there?

or

'Suimasen!' <-- 'I'm sorry!!'

Why do they use 'suimasen' to say 'hello?' when it means sorry? Links back to the Japanese mentality of being polite by holding a low status.

What I meant in my setence was 'I'm not stupid!' haha.

ReputationRep:
    'Suimasen' can have two meanings. It can mean 'i'm sorry' or it can mean 'hello?'<---to elaborate you use it like:

'Suimasen, imasuka?' <--Hello, are you there?

or

'Suimasen!' <-- 'I'm sorry!!'

Why do they use 'suimasen' to say 'hello?' when it means sorry? Links back to the Japanese mentality of being polite by holding a low status.

What I meant in my setence was 'I'm not stupid!' haha.
    Have you watched monsters inc? What did they say when Sullie entered the resturant? I thought they said Shimashen or something, so i thought it was hi or welcome.

ReputationRep:
    Have you watched monsters inc? What did they say when Sullie entered the resturant? I thought they said Shimashen or something, so i thought it was hi or welcome.
    Ooo I haven't seen that movie, sorry.

ReputationRep:
    *struggles to stop self start talking obsessively about anime*

Have a very bad (yet so good) addiction to it.

Also picking up language as I watch. My vocabulary and understanding is growing steadily. It's such a great language and I'd love to be able to speak it fluently. Maybe one day...

My friend told me yestarday that apparently I said 'Arigato' to my maths teacher when he handed back some work. I couldn't actually recall saying it but as she doesn't know any Japanese must assume that I am doing it subconciously. Oops.

ReputationRep:
    I wanted to know what life in general was like.

I'm also into manga and I'm trying to learn to draw it using http://www.mangaschool.com

My favourite is Gundam Wing.

I got into it through my Japanese class - quite a few joined so that they could read it too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by androidkiller)
    I got into it through my Japanese class - quite a few joined so that they could read it too.
    Where do you learn? School? College?

And where do you get your manga from?

ReputationRep:
    the word does initially and recruitmently require:

noun a very special piece of birthday cake required primary by nuns in the 12th to fifteen hundreds ofwhich each would remove a m orsel, eat it and pass it on and so on and so on and so on etc.

OK?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 3, 2003
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.