To all chavophiles Watch

This discussion is closed.
GreenMonstrosity
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
A lot of people here seem to be chavophiles. What defines chavness anyway? Is it a lifestyle, a frame of mind (or lack thereof), a manner of dressing? Whatever a chav actually is, I must ask:

1. Are all yobs chavs? Quite possibly
2. Are all chavs yobs?Not necessarily

If by definition, "Chav" is necessarily a person who behaves in a certain manner, then we can quite reasonably consider ALL chavs to behave in a certain way.

If we define chavs as those who adhere to a particular lifestyle, then we cannot reasonably consider ALL people who fit the lifestyle to be chavs.

If a chav is defined merely by their apparel, then a chav by necessity is somebody who dresses in that manner.

If a chav by definition is a rascal, then ALL chavs are rascals.

What is a chav then? Surely we can all come under labels, but those are not the sole characteristics that defines us. I can be defined as being a member of numerous "sets" e.g. the set of boys, the set of tall people, the set of teenagers, the set of sixth formers etc and numerous subsets which all overlap to form a composite - me. Therefore how do we presume the behaviour of a "chav" if "the set of chavs" is only one set to whcih the individual belongs? There is more to being a yob than simply how one dresses or speaks, and there is more to being a social nuisance than how one dresses or speaks.

However, if, just assuming, hypothetically, the definition of a chav is "one who wears burberry, has a penchant for white tracksuits, is a social nuisance, is a yob, is a racist, and is a bully", then ALL those things properties combined would make somebody a chav. The characteristics when considered separately do not make a chav. But, if (again I say, just assuming) the definition of a chav is all those properties considered as a whole then I am afraid, all chavs are bad. But I personally am at a loss as to what a chav actually is. What therefore is a chav?
HearTheThunder
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
To be honest I don't think people care what word they use, or whatever other synonyms or similar meanings are used instead. People know what people mean when describing people like this, there are loads of names for them, but the important thing is we know what someone's talking about.

Does it really matter what word we use?
Beekeeper
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by hearthethunder)
To be honest I don't think people care what word they use, or whatever other synonyms or similar meanings are used instead. People know what people mean when describing people like this, there are loads of names for them, but the important thing is we know what someone's talking about.

Does it really matter what word we use?
Precisely

If i say "scum" and you say "chav", the chances are we'll be referring to the same things. hehe
yusufu
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
First things first.
1) Relax. It seems as if this chav topic has struck a chord in you.
2) Spend some time away from this site. Go take a walk outside.
3) Upon your return, read through what you've written, and then post this into the Debate and Discussion forum.

personally, i don't have much idea what a chav is. To my mind a chav is someone who wears the typical clothes that you mentioned in your post
MC REN
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
most people on this site don't seem to be chavophiles and the majority are not chavs themselves

All the posts about chavs seem to be along the lines of "a bunch of chavs kicked me in today" etc,

1. Are all yobs chavs? No
2. Are all chavs yobs? Prolly not either
sqa7
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
scallies! :secruity:
GreenMonstrosity
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
(Original post by Undry1)
First things first.
1) Relax. It seems as if this chav topic has struck a chord in you.
2) Spend some time away from this site. Go take a walk outside.
3) Upon your return, read through what you've written, and then post this into the Debate and Discussion forum.

personally, i don't have much idea what a chav is. To my mind a chav is someone who wears the typical clothes that you mentioned in your post
Well perhaps I am sad but I am sick of hearing people using specious arguments to defend chavness when everybdy has an idea of what people mean when they say "chav". But still, we must not assume that all people who dress in that manner have the same demeanour.
Mark S
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
'Chav' is a state of mind more than anything else, when someone says that someone is a chav, they're probably right, because what the wear, their hairstyle, cars they drives, even the way they walk is reflected by their state of mind..
hatty341
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
my dad was asking us what a 'chav' is the other day.
yusufu
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
and what did you say?
PublicSchoolAnn
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
plebs/the unwashed mass/ the poor pack/minks/neds/commoners whatever you call them you have two options...
1)abstract the Michael from them
2)Just avoid them(they might try to steal something.)
mattwilson
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
chavs are bad. I hate graffiti and vandalism. In the News Shopper every week there are security camera images of youths who assualted/vandalised etc.

You can tell by the attitude, clothes and appearance of their person. They dress up in such a (terrible) way to get respect among others and to show off to the public. Its almost like a uniform and something to be proud of

I dont like chavs and pikeys. I am glad TSR members feel the same since so much of the youth population have given our generation a bad name.
Sleep
Report 13 years ago
Chav is a kind of stereotype... what a chav is therefore depends on the individual; and their perception of a chav.

For me, a chav is just a slightly extension of yob. Chav implies an abusive ****hole who can't control himself... wearing stupid clothes and burbery hats are to me an extension that results from this, and a clothing style that chavs typically use, rather than a characteristic of chavs themself.

Above poster is right, its almost like a uniform... it applies to most people; just look at how jeans completely dominate casual clothing... just chavs clothes are worse than any other groups
Alchemy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Every generation has a bad name.

We aren't special, people forget that.
Tindo
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Someone here posted this before: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=chav&r=f

http://www.urbandictionary.com/images.php?imageid=30188
N9ne
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Here's some more information .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chav
HearTheThunder
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I find it quite disturbing that there are so many threads devoted to chavs, I mean, they're just an annoyance and I'm sure they love all the attention they get from some people on here
LPK
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Not this again Look, the chavs we talked aobut on the other thread attacked a lad, that made them mean. Now, seen as lots of other people moan that chanvs have attacked them or tried too then you only think 1 thing. Besides, why are you taking this so seriously?
ciara
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Chiron)
A lot of people here seem to be chavophiles. What defines chavness anyway? Is it a lifestyle, a frame of mind (or lack thereof), a manner of dressing? Whatever a chav actually is, I must ask:

1. Are all yobs chavs? Quite possibly
2. Are all chavs yobs?Not necessarily

If by definition, "Chav" is necessarily a person who behaves in a certain manner, then we can quite reasonably consider ALL chavs to behave in a certain way.

If we define chavs as those who adhere to a particular lifestyle, then we cannot reasonably consider ALL people who fit the lifestyle to be chavs.

If a chav is defined merely by their apparel, then a chav by necessity is somebody who dresses in that manner.

If a chav by definition is a rascal, then ALL chavs are rascals.

What is a chav then? Surely we can all come under labels, but those are not the sole characteristics that defines us. I can be defined as being a member of numerous "sets" e.g. the set of boys, the set of tall people, the set of teenagers, the set of sixth formers etc and numerous subsets which all overlap to form a composite - me. Therefore how do we presume the behaviour of a "chav" if "the set of chavs" is only one set to whcih the individual belongs? There is more to being a yob than simply how one dresses or speaks, and there is more to being a social nuisance than how one dresses or speaks.

However, if, just assuming, hypothetically, the definition of a chav is "one who wears burberry, has a penchant for white tracksuits, is a social nuisance, is a yob, is a racist, and is a bully", then ALL those things properties combined would make somebody a chav. The characteristics when considered separately do not make a chav. But, if (again I say, just assuming) the definition of a chav is all those properties considered as a whole then I am afraid, all chavs are bad. But I personally am at a loss as to what a chav actually is. What therefore is a chav?
Someone's been doing their critical thinking homework :p:!

The chavs that people dislike so much have a specific attitude - generally to make other people's lives a misery. Burberry/social class/education seem to correlate with chavness but are independent of it.

Cxx
Daragh
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
James Stannage (Key 103 Manchester) defines a chav as Council House Add Volient.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (117)
80.69%
Leave (28)
19.31%

Watched Threads