Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    well up north a dunno bout down the ghetto in larndarn

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Undry1)
    and what did you say?
    i didnt know what to say, cos i dont know what it means.

ReputationRep:
    Well well to be fair they are all timewasters! Chav's suck they break the law too much and get away with it. They are mouthy, rude, obnoxious burberry wearers! DAMN THEM ALL!!! lol

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to know if anyone in TSR defends and/or admits to be part of the 'chav' culture

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mattwilson)
    I'd like to know if anyone in TSR defends and/or admits to be part of the 'chav' culture
    Make a poll

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chiron)
    A lot of people here seem to be chavophiles. What defines chavness anyway? Is it a lifestyle, a frame of mind (or lack thereof), a manner of dressing? Whatever a chav actually is, I must ask:

1. Are all yobs chavs? Quite possibly
    2. Are all chavs yobs?Not necessarily

If by definition, "Chav" is necessarily a person who behaves in a certain manner, then we can quite reasonably consider ALL chavs to behave in a certain way.

If we define chavs as those who adhere to a particular lifestyle, then we cannot reasonably consider ALL people who fit the lifestyle to be chavs.

If a chav is defined merely by their apparel, then a chav by necessity is somebody who dresses in that manner.

If a chav by definition is a rascal, then ALL chavs are rascals.

What is a chav then? Surely we can all come under labels, but those are not the sole characteristics that defines us. I can be defined as being a member of numerous "sets" e.g. the set of boys, the set of tall people, the set of teenagers, the set of sixth formers etc and numerous subsets which all overlap to form a composite - me. Therefore how do we presume the behaviour of a "chav" if "the set of chavs" is only one set to whcih the individual belongs? There is more to being a yob than simply how one dresses or speaks, and there is more to being a social nuisance than how one dresses or speaks.

However, if, just assuming, hypothetically, the definition of a chav is "one who wears burberry, has a penchant for white tracksuits, is a social nuisance, is a yob, is a racist, and is a bully", then ALL those things properties combined would make somebody a chav. The characteristics when considered separately do not make a chav. But, if (again I say, just assuming) the definition of a chav is all those properties considered as a whole then I am afraid, all chavs are bad. But I personally am at a loss as to what a chav actually is. What therefore is a chav?
    someones been revising too much propositional logic...

ReputationRep:
    Donh't words ending in "ophile" mean loving? Like a "francophile" is someone to loves France? Isn't this thread for those who hate chavs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twiga)
    Donh't words ending in "ophile" mean loving? Like a "francophile" is someone to loves France? Isn't this thread for those who hate chavs?
    Maybe "ophile" as in obessed with? I.e. people obessed with hating them?

ReputationRep:
    Good point... but I'm sure theres a better way of putting it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twiga)
    The questions addressed here were originally aimed at those who seem to be unperturbed by the nuisance of chav culture.

ReputationRep:
    Was francophile really the one you were thinking of? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chiron)
    A lot of people here seem to be chavophiles. What defines chavness anyway? Is it a lifestyle, a frame of mind (or lack thereof), a manner of dressing? Whatever a chav actually is, I must ask:

1. Are all yobs chavs? Quite possibly
    2. Are all chavs yobs?Not necessarily

If by definition, "Chav" is necessarily a person who behaves in a certain manner, then we can quite reasonably consider ALL chavs to behave in a certain way.

If we define chavs as those who adhere to a particular lifestyle, then we cannot reasonably consider ALL people who fit the lifestyle to be chavs.

If a chav is defined merely by their apparel, then a chav by necessity is somebody who dresses in that manner.

If a chav by definition is a rascal, then ALL chavs are rascals.

What is a chav then? Surely we can all come under labels, but those are not the sole characteristics that defines us. I can be defined as being a member of numerous "sets" e.g. the set of boys, the set of tall people, the set of teenagers, the set of sixth formers etc and numerous subsets which all overlap to form a composite - me. Therefore how do we presume the behaviour of a "chav" if "the set of chavs" is only one set to whcih the individual belongs? There is more to being a yob than simply how one dresses or speaks, and there is more to being a social nuisance than how one dresses or speaks.

However, if, just assuming, hypothetically, the definition of a chav is "one who wears burberry, has a penchant for white tracksuits, is a social nuisance, is a yob, is a racist, and is a bully", then ALL those things properties combined would make somebody a chav. The characteristics when considered separately do not make a chav. But, if (again I say, just assuming) the definition of a chav is all those properties considered as a whole then I am afraid, all chavs are bad. But I personally am at a loss as to what a chav actually is. What therefore is a chav?
    dude, step away from the keyboard. you're clearly losing it

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.