The Student Room Group

AS Level Computing Questions - Aaaaargh!

sorry, but he is killing me! noooooooo! and we havent even mentioned anything to do with the following questions.

unit - Output Devices.

State with reasons which device would be the most suitable for each of the following.

printing electricity bills for the YEB
producing school newsletters
developing programs
designing a car.
notifying the operator the printer needs paper.
producing up to date library catalogues to be sent out to each library branch.

aaaaarrgh!!
Reply 1
hello_forum
sorry, but he is killing me! noooooooo! and we havent even mentioned anything to do with the following questions.

unit - Output Devices.

State with reasons which device would be the most suitable for each of the following.

printing electricity bills for the YEB
producing school newsletters
developing programs
designing a car.
notifying the operator the printer needs paper.
producing up to date library catalogues to be sent out to each library branch.

aaaaarrgh!!

:frown:
Reply 2
hello_forum

Reply 3
hello_forum

Sorry, I don't know anything about this but I thought I would reply so you don't feel unloved:smile: What kind of devices do you know about? Is there any way you can use what you know to work out the answers to a couple of those?
Reply 4
MadNatSci
Sorry, I don't know anything about this but I thought I would reply so you don't feel unloved:smile: What kind of devices do you know about? Is there any way you can use what you know to work out the answers to a couple of those?

lol. i hate this! its like asking us to become olympic champions iwth a broken leg! (ok, bad example, but you get the point)

ok, my guesses were:

1.) elec bill - dot matrix printer coz its sufficient in just printing basic text and numbers with a combination of fonts. This will be adequate as coloured or detailed images etc are not needed, aswell as this device being cost efficient for the purpose.

2.) producing school newsletters - a modern laser printer would be ideal for this because high printing quality, clear images and good use of tones and shades is important for such a task. Therefore using a laser printer would fulfil this; especially as the glossy paper needs to be printed double sided.

3.) Developing Programs - A standard inkjet printer. High precision printing is not a necessity. Therefore this would be adequate as it would allow sufficient printing of the program designs, layout and codes. Whether it be black and white or in colour format. (optional)

4.) Designing A Car - Reccommend a laser printer. Especially if the printout would be viewed by potential customers, high printing quality with maximum visibility and tone/shading quality is essential.

5.) Notifying The Operator That The Printer Needs Printer - A very basic dot matrix printer or even a daisy wheel would be sufficient for this. Especially as quality of font, size and printout quality is not important.

6.) producing up to date library catalogues to be sent out to each library branch - laser printer - similar reasons as to number 4.) but even more so as the intention is to be selling goods as with the car.

these are very rough answers, and quickly jotted down, but i couldnt think of mych to say! :frown:
Reply 5
hello_forum
lol. i hate this! its like asking us to become olympic champions iwth a broken leg! (ok, bad example, but you get the point)

ok, my guesses were:

1.) elec bill - dot matrix printer coz its sufficient in just printing basic text and numbers with a combination of fonts. This will be adequate as coloured or detailed images etc are not needed, aswell as this device being cost efficient for the purpose.

2.) producing school newsletters - a modern laser printer would be ideal for this because high printing quality, clear images and good use of tones and shades is important for such a task. Therefore using a laser printer would fulfil this; especially as the glossy paper needs to be printed double sided.

3.) Developing Programs - A standard inkjet printer. High precision printing is not a necessity. Therefore this would be adequate as it would allow sufficient printing of the program designs, layout and codes. Whether it be black and white or in colour format. (optional)

4.) Designing A Car - Reccommend a laser printer. Especially if the printout would be viewed by potential customers, high printing quality with maximum visibility and tone/shading quality is essential.

5.) Notifying The Operator That The Printer Needs Printer - A very basic dot matrix printer or even a daisy wheel would be sufficient for this. Especially as quality of font, size and printout quality is not important.

6.) producing up to date library catalogues to be sent out to each library branch - laser printer - similar reasons as to number 4.) but even more so as the intention is to be selling goods as with the car.

these are very rough answers, and quickly jotted down, but i couldnt think of much to say! :frown:

are these answers any good? anythin else?
Reply 6
hello_forum

ok, my guesses were:

these are very rough answers, and quickly jotted down, but i couldnt think of mych to say! :frown:

Well, they sound pretty good to me... Are they expecting you to write more?
Reply 7
MadNatSci
Well, they sound pretty good to me... Are they expecting you to write more?

not really, but i was hoping that a computing genius would be on here to perhaps give me some better answers

the answers arent supposed to be very log or anything, but i just wanted to make sure that tehy were correct and that i ddint miss important bits out. lol.
Reply 8
hello_forum
not really, but i was hoping that a computing genius would be on here to perhaps give me some better answers

the answers arent supposed to be very log or anything, but i just wanted to make sure that tehy were correct and that i ddint miss important bits out. lol.

anymore help is really appreciated!
but i know nothing more about friggin output devices!
Reply 9
hello_forum
anymore help is really appreciated!
but i know nothing more about friggin output devices!

feel free to step in!
It might be worth considering volume and print speeds.

Designing a car needs high quality printout but isn't a particularly high speed process - producing a few thousand electricity bills is.

Also I think you *might* have the wrong end of the stick about what a library catalogue is - it's a list of what books are in each library - a database printout basically, it's not usually something shown to the library users but something used by library staff (or for archives as most libraries have access to other library catalogues through their database systems).

Also consider cost - a laser colour printer might well be out of a schools budget - especially if they're going to use it to print out 1000 or so copies of a high quality double sides newsletter...We've got a top notch colour printer here at work and 1000 pages takes about 5 hours to print out - single sided...and requires being refilled with paper at least once.

I doubt your answers will be marked right or wrong - it's the reasoning behind them that matters.