Are the MOBOs racist?

Watch this thread
This discussion is closed.
DaleJenkins
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Do you think that it is acceptable for the Music of Black Origin awards to occur when a white alternative would be branded racist? (And no, I'm not racist myself)

View and decide:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYzrDFaYpXY
Hikari
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 12 years ago
the way it's marketed though is music of a black origin, not an award show for black people. hence people like Lady Gaga getting nominations.

R&B, jazz, soul etc, all originates from black people, and they're a huge genres nowadays. Perhaps there could be a better name for the award, but i think that it's fair.
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
It's not racist though they they miss out one of the biggest genres of music, rock. Started off with Chuck Berry not Elvis Presley.
abc101
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
Definitely. You wouldn't get away with 'WOBOs'. Nor would you get away with 'White History Month'.
headunderwater
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
No, they're not. Seeing as "whites" can be nominated too.
giran
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
And asian people too.
AAAirz
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
To be fair though.... apart from classical music, what music of white origin is there?

Surely white people can still get awards in the mobos.
JeevesTSR
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by AAAirz)
To be fair though.... apart from classical music, what music of white origin is there?.
Country and Western :yep:
sango
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
The MOBOs were created to celebrate the best music which have originated from black people and culture. That is why people like Duffy and Amy Winehouse have been nominated without being black. I however see the MOBOs as a farce sine most of the artists who win never turn up and those who do only go there to plug their new album. To top it all off they don'y have a Jazz or Blues category which is incredibly stupid considering that these were the foundations of black music today. I mean wtf?!
pinki_13
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by abc101)
Definitely. You wouldn't get away with 'WOBOs'. Nor would you get away with 'White History Month'.
actually thats an extremely naive and silly thing for you to say because all history taught in school is actually 'white' history so their is no need to have a white history month coz from year 7-11 you have a white history year. its part of the curriculem to learn about all about that, but then how do you expect black british people to learn about where they come from and the history of their people if they cant even have a month dedicated to it without people like you calling it rascist. Its just a way of them realising that black people have contributed a lot to society and actually have a rich history especially in light of all the bad press young black kids get nowadays.

Maybe they could of come up with a better name for the MOBO's but its a way of taking note of the fact that alot if not most popular music nowadays (bar rock and pop ) actually originates from an ethnic origin and that needs to be recognised.
pinki_13
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
and actually - it wouldnt be WOBO's , it would be MOWO's !
Jimmy_123
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by abc101)
I think "Black History Month" is there to educate your average white folk about different cultures and thus preventing ignorance and therefore racism.

Imagine living in a predominantly black country, where only 3 in 100 faces are white. You would also like some sense of identity and to show you're an important part of the community. It's called empathy: get some.
Jimmy_123
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by pinki_13)
actually thats an extremely naive and silly thing for you to say because all history taught in school is actually 'white' history so their is no need to have a white history month coz from year 7-11 you have a white history year. its part of the curriculem to learn about all about that, but then how do you expect black british people to learn about where they come from and the history of their people if they cant even have a month dedicated to it without people like you calling it rascist. Its just a way of them realising that black people have contributed a lot to society and actually have a rich history especially in light of all the bad press young black kids get nowadays.

Maybe they could of come up with a better name for the MOBO's but its a way of taking note of the fact that alot if not most popular music nowadays (bar rock and pop ) actually originates from an ethnic origin and that needs to be recognised.
This is basically what I was trying to say :yep:
Oswy
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by DaleJenkins)
Do you think that it is acceptable for the Music of Black Origin awards to occur when a white alternative would be branded racist? (And no, I'm not racist myself)

View and decide:
No, it's not racist, it's simply recognising music which happens to have a certain strong cultural root, i.e. that associated with Afro-Americans. The alternative would be branded racist because the use of 'white' has different connotations in the same context. This is difficult for some to recognise I appreciate, but words don't always have simple symbolic correspondence, they have history and nuance. A more appropriate alternative, if you were looking for one, would maybe be something like 'Music of European Origin'.
Jimmy_123
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by DaleJenkins)

View and decide:
Shock horror. Maybe you should get on the phone to the Daily Mail: those black people, coming over here having their own music awards :rolleyes:
Revd. Mike
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
Virtually ALL popular music today is of black origin.
AAAirz
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by JeevesTSR)
Country and Western :yep:
ahahahaha.... point proven really.
flowermaster91
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
This is getting silly now, and well done for making the word 'racist' losing its meaning now
ma2k5
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
Firstly this video fails.

Its the 21st Century, not the 20th.

Secondly, if their was a "music of White origin", I doubt anyone cares.

Thirdly, with blacks being an ethnic minority - with music of black origin being so successful in the western societies, it is just celebrating a bit of pride I say, and even then, white people can still be nominated (even if its a couple). Its people with too much time on their hands, making silly videos.

Their was one for south asians too, I forgot what its called.
Oswy
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by sango)
... To top it all off they don'y have a Jazz or Blues category which is incredibly stupid considering that these were the foundations of black music today. I mean wtf?!
I didn't know that and it is surprising. Blues especially has been the primary root influence in the evolution of pretty much all the pop and rock music which came after.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (18)
21.18%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (11)
12.94%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (5)
5.88%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (15)
17.65%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (17)
20%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
22.35%

Watched Threads