The Student Room Group

Which Medical schools accept retake students?

On that note what exactly is considered a retake? Is it doing 3 years of college although the courses you applied with you've studied for 2 years? If it studying a full A level for 1 year then having to resit a few of the A2 units in your second year although you've been in college for the same amount of time as a normal student, just sat exams earlier.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've taken it to mean meeting the offer by studying A-levels for three years.

BSMS, Keele (BBB on first sitting and must get AAA after resits), Peninsula (300 points on first sitting) and Sheffield. These are the ones that accept resits without extenuating circumstances.
Reply 2
xSkyFire
On that note what exactly is considered a retake? Is it doing 3 years of college although the courses you applied with you've studied for 2 years? If it studying a full A level for 1 year then having to resit a few of the A2 units in your second year although you've been in college for the same amount of time as a normal student, just sat exams earlier.

Retaking modules within the two years of the A level course is fine.

Taking three years to complete A levels cause you had to redo an entire year is not.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_Resit_Policies
Kinkerz
I've taken it to mean meeting the offer by studying A-levels for three years.

BSMS, Keele (BBB on first sitting and must get AAA after resits), Peninsula (300 points on first sitting) and Sheffield. These are the ones that accept resits without extenuating circumstances.

Surelly going from DDD to AAA is harder than going from like 300 point to AAA.
Reply 4
brokenangel
Surelly going from DDD to AAA is harder than going from like 300 point to AAA.

Of course it is.
Kinkerz
Of course it is.

I dont think ill ever understand medical schools logic
Reply 6
Democracy
Retaking modules within the two years of the A level course is fine.

Taking three years to complete A levels cause you had to redo an entire year is not.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_Resit_Policies

What if say Chemistry for example, I did the full AS and A2 in a single year while other people just did the AS. I managed to get an Overall B, just barely missing an A. If I retook a couple of the A2 units and got an A would that be considered a retake since I did it within 2 years of studying the course?
Reply 7
xSkyFire
What if say Chemistry for example, I did the full AS and A2 in a single year while other people just did the AS. I managed to get an Overall B, just barely missing an A. If I retook a couple of the A2 units and got an A would that be considered a retake since I did it within 2 years of studying the course?

No that's fine. As you've done it within the 2 years.
Reply 8
Where would my position stand as I'm slightly confused myself, this is what I basically have :
Biology : A, took 1 resit so 3 years in total
English : B, normal 2 years
Chemistry : B, took 1 year
Maths : high C, but predicted A, starting A2 so normal 2 year sitting
Physics AS : predicted A, normal 1 year sitting.

I basically have 1 resit out of the lot which is Biology that I've gotten an A in already. Where would I stand?
xSkyFire
Where would my position stand as I'm slightly confused myself, this is what I basically have :

I basically have 1 resit out of the lot which is Biology that I've gotten an A in already. Where would I stand?

This is a highly unusual situation and any answers you get here will just be inferences and opinion. I would suggest you call up/email some medical schools and get a definitive answer.
Guys does anyone HAVE or CAN SUGGEST a LIST of ALL unis that ACCEPT a level resits ? i seem to struggle to make a list. Help would be appreciated !
Reply 11
rocketscience777
Guys does anyone HAVE or CAN SUGGEST a LIST of ALL unis that ACCEPT a level resits ? i seem to struggle to make a list. Help would be appreciated !

Answers to this question are 1) mentioned in the first reply, and 2) linked to in the second reply.

READ THE THREAD!
rocketscience777

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=20940377&postcount=2
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=20940382&postcount=3

:awesome:
Thanks guys! :P
Reply 14
Has liverpool's status changed?
Reply 15
xSkyFire

So when youve finished completely you're predicted

AAABB
if we get rid of the biology as that's outside of the 2 years

AABB

Minimum requirements for medicine are AAB so as long as you avoid somewhere that wants an A in chemistry then you should be ok.

I'd also email admission departments (or if you're impatient like me give them a call) and see what they say as it is an unusal situation.

I'd like to assume though that they say within 2 years as this is the normal time for A' Levels, ie by the time A2 is completed. For this reason I would avoid resitting chemistry units as I can see them then saying it wasnt finished by the time A2 was completed.

I'm not sure whether what I've said makes sense :tongue: Your best bet really is to talk to the universities directly as it is an unusual situation. May I ask why you did your A'Levels this way?
Reply 16
lekky
So when youve finished completely you're predicted

AAABB
if we get rid of the biology as that's outside of the 2 years

AABB

Minimum requirements for medicine are AAB so as long as you avoid somewhere that wants an A in chemistry then you should be ok.

I'd also email admission departments (or if you're impatient like me give them a call) and see what they say as it is an unusal situation.

I'd like to assume though that they say within 2 years as this is the normal time for A' Levels, ie by the time A2 is completed. For this reason I would avoid resitting chemistry units as I can see them then saying it wasnt finished by the time A2 was completed.

I'm not sure whether what I've said makes sense :tongue: Your best bet really is to talk to the universities directly as it is an unusual situation. May I ask why you did your A'Levels this way?

Well I live in East London and not in *the best* area, my GCSEs weren't exactly amazing at AAABCCDDD, however I was usually in the top group of students so you can guess how demotivating it must have been along with an extreme lack of guidance from teachers.

I was pretty behind when I started Sixth form, so I pretty much messed up first year round, in my second year I got screwed over by my Sixth form as I applied extra early for courses but they were full so I was left with 2 A levels being Biology and English and ended up getting C,B.

From there I was pretty much done putting trust in state schools and the lot, got myself enrolled at a private college and went for AS&A2 Chemistry in a single year along with bumping the Biology up to an A. I threw in Maths AS as I needed a pass in a 4th AS.
xSkyFire
Well I live in East London and not in *the best* area, my GCSEs weren't exactly amazing at AAABCCDDD, however I was usually in the top group of students so you can guess how demotivating it must have been along with an extreme lack of guidance from teachers.

I was pretty behind when I started Sixth form, so I pretty much messed up first year round, in my second year I got screwed over by my Sixth form as I applied extra early for courses but they were full so I was left with 2 A levels being Biology and English and ended up getting C,B.

From there I was pretty much done putting trust in state schools and the lot, got myself enrolled at a private college and went for AS&A2 Chemistry in a single year along with bumping the Biology up to an A. I threw in Maths AS as I needed a pass in a 4th AS.

So did you get into medicine at the end ?
and if you dont me asking, what private college did you go to?
hey! I m pretty much screwed with my Jan exams. Can anyone tell me what it exactly means by doing exams within 2 yrs? I m an intl student n i go to a private college. I m planning to do medicine. Lets say now i m in A2. But i havent done all of my AS exams for Biology n Chemistry. I was like not confident enough last yr. I did maths n further maths exams last June. N now retaking some of maths modules in Jan. Still not confident enuf to do bio n chem. So, I juz postponed those again to nxt June, n dat would b the end of my A lvl. I started doing my exams in June 2010 n so i can still retake them till Jan 2012? Is that so? What does two years mean? Does that mean staying in college for 2 yrs? I started my college in Sept 2009. So....?! I dun kno! :frown:( so confused n lost!
This is for my daughter, She completed her A level course and she got BBB. Now we r planning to apply for medicine for next year. so i would like to know which universities accept for same course if she resit next year and upgrade her grades

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending