smokeandmirrors
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Hello All,

Am doing some research on PGCE courses with the - currently vague - notion of starting in 2011, so lots of time yet. I'd appreciate input from those of you who have done / applied for PGCE courses in the Performing Arts.

So...brief history is that I have AAA at A-level including drama, a 2:1 degree in Performance form one of the London drama schools, and around 4 years of PG industry experience as a performer and theatre manager. I'm planning on doing a few more freelance contracts before I settle into teaching.

My sticking point is this...I'm keen to do dance as well as drama as I'm concerned that drama alone will bore me rigid. My professional career has been much more sequins and glitter than worthy Shakespear plays in teh back room of a pub somehwere - yawn. My degree was equal parts acting, dancing, singing and so I have a lot of performance orientated skills that are not taught in depth at the unis, however my theory may be lacking. Should I therefore think about doing an MA to bulk this up? I am pretty academic but it's been a while, and I know this stuff is a big part of the curriculum. Particularly when it comes to the dance side as all my experience is practical rather than theoretical. The thought of shelling out for an MA just to jump hoops makes me gag a bit, however.

Conversely, would all this industry experience and the ability to teach performance skills be attractive to the PCGE providers / schools? I am hoping that being a chap will be useful as well as I know the teaching in Perf Arts is so chocabloc with ladies. I think it would be great to push a dance agenda in schools and get more boys involved. And for those of you in the dance world, is it worth thinking about doing some ISTD or RAD quals?

I can get the experience in schools easily enough through my old network of teachers who I have stayed close to through the years so that's all good.

And regarding locations of the PGCE courses, I was somewhat horrifed to discover that the only place in the UK you can do Performing Arts PGCE is in Liverpool, and I'm really not too taken with the idea of a year there. I have spent time in Liverpool so I do not say that randomly, but with a good degree of first hand knowledge! Or is it possible to do Drama or Dance PGCE and somehow diversify another way?

Any comments regarding my particular circumstances or just some info of anybody else's experience of this field would be great.

Thanks folks, peace
Mr M
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Why do a PGCE at all? Why not accept a job in a school teaching Performing Arts / Drama and then do the Graduate Teaching Programme? You look in a strong position for this route to me.

We are lucky if we attract ANY boys at all to take Performing Arts (Musical Theatre Pathway) and possibly only one or two for Performing Arts (Acting Pathway). I think having a male teacher would help to address this problem so it is a positive point in your favour.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I know that Roehampton Uni (which has an excellent reputation for all its teaching courses) has a PGCE course in Music and Dance, so I imagine they might have a Drama and Dance one as well?
smokeandmirrors
Rep:
?
Hey thanks ppl....

Mr M : you mean you reckon I'd just get a job straight off without any formal training? I guess I hadn't considered that, but I do know of at least 1 person I went to college with who is teaching BTEC without formal quals...might be worth looking into...I kinda favour the PGCE over the GTP as I'd quite like to teach a few years in Aus or NZ and you have to have it formalised. But thanks for the thoughts, much appreciated.

And re: Roehampton yes I have heard it can be pretty good, it just didn't show up on my dance search...which is weird cos it runs heaps of MAs in Dance related things.

Cheers!
smokeandmirrors
Rep:
?
Well thank you kindly, that's EXTREMELY interesting. It certainly might be a good idea to at least teach in that sort of context for a year or so to ascertain whether it is absolutely the career for me, particularly as I have (I hope!) a high skillset - and therefore avoid the financial burden of it all. I'd much prefer somewhere nice like Suffolk than the hoods of London in any case, but I think that might be why. Many folk inthe performing arts have at some point made the shift toLondon, and so even if and when they progress to teaching they are most likely to be looking there. That all sounds really good, so thanks again for your post :-)
giselleparis
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi, I just came upon this thread and wondered what you decided to do?
I too am interested in teaching in Australia and therefore need a PGCE (already have QTLS and level 6 DTLLS). I am struggling to find a PGCE course in dance/theatre/performing arts...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (620)
33.68%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (775)
42.1%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (364)
19.77%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (82)
4.45%

Watched Threads