what is a MINISATELLITE Watch

This discussion is closed.
perkyDani
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
this is part of an intron structure, apparently its the most important thing in distinguihing between 2 different DNA samples cos everyone has different minisatellite.
Does anyone have a clear defininition of what is , please help!!!!!!!!
Kiesha
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Google: "A DNA sequence of about 20 to 50 nucleotides which are tandemly repeated from about 5 to 100 times."
Setup
Badges: 0
Report 13 years ago
In the context of AS biology you make minisatellites by treating DNA with restriction endonuclease and you have to make sure your minisatellite is there (i.e. your enzyme doesn't break your gene sequence). You then use it for genetic finger printing.

This is my understanding anyway...
oxymoron
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Setup)
In the context of AS biology you make minisatellites by treating DNA with restriction endonuclease and you have to make sure your minisatellite is there (i.e. your enzyme doesn't break your gene sequence). You then use it for genetic finger printing.

This is my understanding anyway...
You don't "make" a minisatellite. The minisatellite is the sequence of DNA itself which everyone has in their genome. What you are refering to is amplifying (or making more copies of) the minisatellite sequence so you can analyse it to find out how long it is.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (213)
27.92%
No (550)
72.08%

Watched Threads