Help with an Othello quote... Watch

This discussion is closed.
louinwonderland
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Hi people, sorry if I'm sounding really thick here, but I need help with this quote from Othello:

Act V, scene i, line 19.

Iago: If Cassio do remain, / He hath a daily beauty in his life / That makes me ugly.

What does Iago mean by 'a daily beauty'?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thankyou
silence
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
cassio is meant to be a 'ladies man', so i suppose he's good looking. it's just a general example of envy; however, the way he shows such an emotion is very significant and revealing.

it closely echoes the way that marlowe describes envy in dr. faustus, when the 7 deadly sins each give a little speech about themselves..

envy says: "I cannot read, and therefore wish all books were burnt." this perfectly epitomises the way iago thinks, in my opinion. the quotation in question "daily beauty...ugly" actually seems to highlight a great insecurity in iago, and also adds another dimension to his supposedly motiveless revenge (ontop of things such as othello promoting cassio instead of iago, othello supposedly having "twixt his sheets... office" or something).

hope this is helpful
louinwonderland
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Ah, OK, I was reading the quote as if Iago was commenting on something outside of Cassio himself - that the 'daily beauty' was Desdemona.

Thanks Silence that helps a lot
OppressedMass
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Iago: If Cassio do remain, / He hath a daily beauty in his life / That makes me ugly.
Its a brilliant quote - one of the definates if you get a Q on Iago, it gives weight to Coleridge's theory of 'motiveless malignity' - i.e Iago's drive is the destruction of anything beautiful.

Also he referrs to the Moor's 'free and open nature' someone he also hates...
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (282)
27.35%
No (749)
72.65%

Watched Threads