Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am doing a essay which shud have been in a week ago, so today, i have booked everything off...work etc, to try and get it out of the way. I did post a thread yest but now i cant find it. i am going doolally!!

I am doing an essay on Pygmalion..and wud like some help with the Characters Alfred Doolittle and his daughter Eliza. I wud like some opinions on what a fathers role was/or should have been in victorian times.

please help...x

ReputationRep:
    ah sounds hard!
    i'v not read the book ur studying but from other literature i'v read i hav a little knowledge on fathers supposed role in victorian times.
    they weren't particularly involved in the upbringing of children, in the emotional way i mean, especially girls. fathers saw their role as being simply head of the family, had to bring in money etc etc, left the wives to bring the kids up i suppose.
    their aim was to get girls married into money and get married relatively young, so as to increase their chance of success in finding a 'worthy' gentleman! there was little emotional attachment, that's the opinion u come across most regularly, relationships then were completely different to now, as fathers were seen as role-models but kept at an emotional distance. if u get me.
    ok reading that back its crap lol sorry if that wasted ur time!
    good luck with the essay

ReputationRep:
    That is just what i needed to start me off...ooohhh ur a star.. cheers

MWAH!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by press2play)
    ah sounds hard!
    i'v not read the book ur studying but from other literature i'v read i hav a little knowledge on fathers supposed role in victorian times.
    they weren't particularly involved in the upbringing of children, in the emotional way i mean, especially girls. fathers saw their role as being simply head of the family, had to bring in money etc etc, left the wives to bring the kids up i suppose.
    their aim was to get girls married into money and get married relatively young, so as to increase their chance of success in finding a 'worthy' gentleman! there was little emotional attachment, that's the opinion u come across most regularly, relationships then were completely different to now, as fathers were seen as role-models but kept at an emotional distance. if u get me.
    ok reading that back its crap lol sorry if that wasted ur time!
    good luck with the essay
    i read pygmalion in Yr8 or 9-can't really remember and can't remember how much it differs from my fair lady. but either way. alfred and eliza are gonna have a different relationship from that as they are in the working classes. even so, they didn't communicate much whilst eliza was at the professors house and he didnt tell her he was getting married. but! they are probably closer than a middle or working class father and daughter. eliza's dad might not have as much of a say in who she marries as she is quite independent from him even at the beginning of the play. dearyxxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silkygalaxy)
    That is just what i needed to start me off...ooohhh ur a star.. cheers

MWAH!!!
    lol it's a pleasure

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.