Turn on thread page Beta

heart pressure and valves opening/closing??? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    i got this wrong on a past paper i just did,
    From the mark scheme it would appear: when there is high pressure in the ventricles and aorta, then the aorta's valve is open and the atrial-ventricular valves are closed.
    how can pressure be increasing in the ventricles as blood is leaving it???
    can anyone tell me when valves are open/closed to do with pressure?? any help would be much appreciated but please don't confuse me more than i already am (actually quite hard that!)
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    What was the exact question? I'm confused too ...

ReputationRep:
    valves are like doors... and respond to differences in pressure

so if the atria have a higher pressure than the ventricles they cause the atrioventricular valves to open.

if the ventricles have a higher pressure than the atria they cause the atrioventricular valves to close

if the left ventricles have a higher pressure than the aorta they cause the semi-lunar valve to open

if the aorta has a higher pressure than the left ventricle is causes the sumi-lunar valve to close

valves prevent the backflow of blood

ReputationRep:
    then the aorta's valve is open and the atrial-ventricular valves are closed.

this occurs when the the ventricles are at a higher pressure than the atria and at a higher pressure than the pulmonary vein and aorta

this occurs at ventricular systole... check me on that someone

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, basically even though the pressure's high in both the aorta and the ventricle, if the pressure is lower in the aorta than the in the left ventricle the semi-lunar valves will open so blood can move from l.ventricle to the aorta.

ReputationRep:
    pressure is building up in the ventricles because blood is entering them from the atria through the opened AV valves because the pressure in the atria is higher than in the ventricles, so slowly the pressure builds up in the ventricles as blood is entering and the space available is decreasing (the SL valves are closed) so then as soon as the pressure is greater then the ventricles than in the atria then the AV valves close and as soon as the pressure is greater in the ventricles than the aorta/pulmonary arteries then the SL valves open and the blood leaves so the pressure decreases again.

ReputationRep:
    thats basically the Q, then theres another one just after that says, what causes the blood pressure increase at the point labelled B?
    sorry its in a word doc, didn't know how else to do it
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: doc valves.doc (40.0 KB, 97 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loopz)
    thats basically the Q, then theres another one just after that says, what causes the blood pressure increase at the point labelled B?
    sorry its in a word doc, didn't know how else to do it
    Ooh I did that Q and I didn't get the 2 marks on it cos I got the ticks exactly opposite to what they were in the markscheme!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiesha)
    Ooh I did that Q and I didn't get the 2 marks on it cos I got the ticks exactly opposite to what they were in the markscheme!
    yep me too :rolleyes:

(Original post by kiesha)
    Yeah, basically even though the pressure's high in both the aorta and the ventricle, if the pressure is lower in the aorta than the in the left ventricle the semi-lunar valves will open so blood can move from l.ventricle to the aorta.
    now you come to mention it, the pressure in the aorta is a bit lower than in the ventricles.. i just looked at it and thought they're both high- that makes no sense. hmm yeah so that makes a bit more sense, thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revenged)
    then the aorta's valve is open and the atrial-ventricular valves are closed.

this occurs when the the ventricles are at a higher pressure than the atria and at a higher pressure than the pulmonary vein and aorta

this occurs at ventricular systole... check me on that someone
    yep i think that's right! thanks for the doors imagery- i'll be sat in the exam thinking of that!

btw my friend reckons there will definitely be questions on blood groups and immunology as they're only come up once in the last four years, and that was in 2002!

ReputationRep:
    Hehe that would explain why I got it wrong first time too, I didn't even notice that on the graph when I actually did it :p:

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 5, 2005

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Buckingham
    Open Evening Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.