The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

RoadWarrior
Welcome! :wavey: and Good luck for your UKCAT :smile: Just wondering why "Hull York" is in italics :hmmm:

It wasnt meant to be :p: .. Its just that that space originally had "to be confirmed" in it, I forgot to remove the Italic tags!
[Year of Entry] 2010
[1st Institution] Birmingham
[2nd Institution] Cambridge
[3rd Institution] Southampton
[4th Institution] KCL
[5th Choice if applicable]
[GCSE Results] Don't match up to anyone else's.. I guess.. ='( (1A*, 5A, 4B,4C).
[AS Results] LOL. Messed up.. Applying through access scheme's..
[A2 Results/Predictions] Not sure.. Hopefully good.
[Work Experience/Voluntary] Yes to both..
[UKCAT] Not sat yet
[BMAT] Not sat yet
[Any other comments]
Good luck to everyone.
piece_by_piece
Yes, I'm glad I've decided not to sit the BMAT!
It seriously isn't as tough as people make it out to be here.

I would say that applying to more than two medical schools who require that you sit the BMAT is a bit of a gamble but if you're avoiding it on the basis of it being 'scary' - don't, it really isn't that bad! It's tough but it's certainly manageable if you get what I mean?
Reply 83
Undulipodium
I'm at Magdalen :smile:

oh cool i go 2 Cherwell
Reply 84
[Year of Entry] 2010
[1st Institution] KCL
[2nd Institution] PMS
[3rd Institution] Keele
[4th Institution] UEA
[5th Choice if applicable] Cambridge - Nat sci (as a joke)
[GCSE Results] Rubbish...2A*, 2A, 5B ,2C
[AS Results] AAAB
[A2 Results] AAAB
[Work Experience/Voluntary] HCA, Hospital placement, GP, Minor surgery & Hospital abroad
[UKCAT] Pending
[BMAT] N/A
[Any other comments] THIRD time lucky!!!!!!!!!!!
vj69
[5th Choice if applicable] Cambridge - Nat sci (as a joke)
Since it's your third time reapplying, surely it would be more sensible to be more serious about your back-up?
Reply 86
!MEna
It seriously isn't as tough as people make it out to be here.

I would say that applying to more than two medical schools who require that you sit the BMAT is a bit of a gamble but if you're avoiding it on the basis of it being 'scary' - don't, it really isn't that bad! It's tough but it's certainly manageable if you get what I mean?

Thanks for the advice. I get what you mean, but I don't fancy the look of UCL/Imperial anyway, and I don't want to sit another admissions test. The UKCAT was bad enough for me :p:
Reply 87
[Year of Entry] 2010
[1st Institution] Southampton
[2nd Institution] PMS
[3rd Institution] leicester
[4th Institution] Durham
[5th Choice if applicable]
[GCSE Results] 3.5A* 4A 2B
[AS Results] AAAA
[A2 Predictions] A*A*A*
[Work Experience/Voluntary]
1 week GP, 1 week max fax, 1 week neurologist, 2 days shadowing ward sister
[UKCAT] 660
[BMAT] N/A
[Any other comments] also got a btec distinction* apparently equivalent to 4A*s at gcse
lets just hope they like my ECs and PS
Ignoramus
Did you cancel your UKCAT? Or did you just never book one? Or did you do really well but decide not to use your score?

Edit: Sorry for question barrage :p:

No worries :p:

I cancelled it (on the last possible day to get a refund) after deciding to apply for Bristol instead of Edinburgh as my fourth option.
Ignoramus
Do you mean Magdalen College School? If so, that's an amazing school! :woo:

I do indeed mean MCS :smile:

You know it?
Ignoramus
Yep I am nervous, however I find the exam easier than the UKCAT and fingers crossed my academics will count for something when selecting for interview... :s-smilie:

:eek3: It's going to be a long year...

I feel exactly the same way (though it wasn't the reason that I decided not to apply for UKCAT universities.)

Sections 1 & 2 seem a much better test than the UKCAT.
Reply 91
[Year of Entry] 2010
[1st Institution] KCL
[2nd Institution] UCL
[3rd Institution] SGUL
[4th Institution] UCL biomed
[5th Choice if applicable] ???
[GCSE Results] 5A* 4.5A
[AS Results] AB (Remarks for other two)
[A2 Predictions] AAA
2 weeks GP, 1 year volunteer at Hospital
[UKCAT] 21st September
[BMAT] 4th November - soo scared :frown:
Any other comments: Scared about my final AS results, did EES scheme, Lead Peer Mentor :P and Reading Buddy(School is quite large), Interested in Dermatology and family suffers from Diabetes 1& 2 - also interested in diabetes.
Reply 92
hawflo
[Year of Entry] 2010
[1st Institution] KCL
[2nd Institution] UCL
[3rd Institution] SGUL
[4th Institution] UCL biomed
[5th Choice if applicable] ???

Are you only applying to three medical schools then?
[Year of Entry] 2010
[1st Institution] Edinburgh
[2nd Institution] Aberdeen
[3rd Institution] Glasgow
[4th Institution] Dundee
[5th Choice if applicable] Biomed at one of the above.
[Intermediate 2 Results] 8A
[Higher Results] AAAAA
[Advanced Higher Results/Predictions] Dunno yet
1 week rotating round local hospitals
2 weeks in Indian hospitals
Recently started volunteering at WRVS cafe
Violin assistant on kids music days
[UKCAT] 742.5 avg.
[BMAT] n/a
[Any other comments] So wish I had more work experience but hospital stuff's really difficult to get if you don't know anyone in medicine. :s-smilie::
Reply 94
piece_by_piece
Are you only applying to three medical schools then?

Yes, I can't think of any university that I would like to apply to apart from than these three universities!

I didn't initially want to apply to University this year because of my AS results and I felt that my UCAS application won't be as strong as some of the other applicants this year. However, my sixth from has asked to remark some of my years groups exams and that might help push my AS grade up or down :s-smilie:.
Reply 95
hawflo
Yes, I can't think of any university that I would like to apply to apart from than these three universities!

I didn't initially want to apply to University this year because of my AS results and I felt that my UCAS application won't be as strong as some of the other applicants this year. However, my sixth from has asked to remark some of my years groups exams and that might help push my AS grade up or down :s-smilie:.

I feel like that about my choices, but I put another choice down anyway, because you're just giving yourself another chance to do medicine. I hope you get the grades you want and that they do go up. Don't worry about your application, I'm sure a lot of people feel like their application isn't as strong as others, but all you can do is hope that you get that one offer from somewhere!
Reply 96
piece_by_piece
I feel like that about my choices, but I put another choice down anyway, because you're just giving yourself another chance to do medicine. I hope you get the grades you want and that they do go up. Don't worry about your application, I'm sure a lot of people feel like their application isn't as strong as others, but all you can do is hope that you get that one offer from somewhere!

You are right! Thanks for the nice comment :smile:
Reply 97
After much deliberation I am swapping Dundee for St. Andrews! Although I wont get in...
Reply 98
acas13
After much deliberation I am swapping Dundee for St. Andrews! Although I wont get in...

I'll update your choices now :smile:
Reply 99
piece_by_piece
I'll update your choices now :smile:

Thank you muchly :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending