Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    why didnt you ask your teacher?
    i asked bt she didnt let me

ReputationRep:
    Its not only UCAS that you can ask to see under the Data Protection Act, you can also ask your school. The £10 charge is (the maximum i think) handling charge that can be applied if you ask to see it under the Data Protection Act.

However, i agree its stupid not knowing ur predicted grades as otherwise how can you apply to the right level of universities, although you should be able to gauge them.

ReputationRep:
    I say, apply wherever you want. I got BBD at AS-level the first time round, and my predicted grades where BBC? I think, not sure, I was absolutely ******** it about not getting offers because of the grades being less than what most unis wanted. I ended up getting 6 offers, including one Uni that wanted BBB. Now Im stuck with an offer from only 1 'good' Uni because I was so worried about the predicted grades...although I think this might be because I applied for Physics, a more competitive subject might be a different story..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    Schools have a certain level of protection against the data protection act - in theory a reference like this wouldn't be covered.
    Exemptions from the act

not apply to payroll, pensions and accounts data, nor to names and addresses held for distribution purposes

exemptions for special purposes in connection with national security and prevention of crime and for the collection of tax or duty.

legally a written request and charge of £10 is all that is needed. if not you can complain to the courts of the Registrar.

ReputationRep:
    But will your school know that you've asked UCAS under the DPA?

ReputationRep:
    My form tutor showed me my references yesterday but there was only 1 predicted grade as the others are pending exam results. I'm sure if you ask your individual subject teachers they will show you, why wouldn't they?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    I say, apply wherever you want. I got BBD at AS-level the first time round, and my predicted grades where BBC? I think, not sure, I was absolutely ******** it about not getting offers because of the grades being less than what most unis wanted. I ended up getting 6 offers, including one Uni that wanted BBB. Now Im stuck with an offer from only 1 'good' Uni because I was so worried about the predicted grades...although I think this might be because I applied for Physics, a more competitive subject might be a different story..
    Yeah but some unis won't even look at you unless you're predicted certain grades

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.