Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Good luck to EVERYONE for tomorrow!

Well, today even

Hope y'all do really well

I'm gonna wake up at 5:30 to revise some more :p:

ReputationRep:
    All done, how'd everyone find it?

I felt I did better on the Physiology one than Genetics, probably got an A on both but not an overall A .

What did you put for the gene probe 4 mark question on the Genetics paper?

ReputationRep:
    Both of them were OK, but I found the genetics paper easier.

For the probes question, I wrote about how the DNA strands are split, revealing the bases. The probe is complementary to the mutant allele, so if the mutant allele is present, the probe will join to it by complementary base pairing. When the sample is tested for radioactivity, the test will show radioactivity because the probe had joined to the mutant allele.

ReputationRep:
    yh i fink module 3 was da hardest n 2 easiest,
    wot every1 write 4 da last question on module 3, i was chattin bout translocation n co2 is converted into glucose via photosynthesis somfing like dat neway.

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone do the module 1 resit?

I thought module 2 was okay.. the last question on module 3 I found a bit dogey though.

ReputationRep:
    I thought that all in all they were not too bad. Well, they could have been much, much worse anyway! Module 2 was quite good but Module 3 was a little annoying because there were some odd questions (well I thought so anyway). It didn't really fit the 'pattern' of the past papers, there were some questions which I didn't really understand. And I have absolutely no idea how you were meant to get 7 marks out of the last question! Ah well, hopefully I got a couple at least.

ReputationRep:
    Damn i'm quite pissed off now I go over the questions again in my head. I hope I get an A! pleeeeze no more resits again.

ReputationRep:
    Module 2- great
    Module 3 - ARGH!

:hmpf:

I worked out during the exam that if I got every question that I answered right then I'd get 85% ish (on module 3). Module 2 I'm one hell of a lot more confident on, but then I was at GCSE and it turns out I'd messed that one up, so... :s:

ReputationRep:
    For question 7 you had to describe the mass-flow hypothesis...

ReputationRep:
    loads of graphs werent there ?!!

ReputationRep:
    I know Franks, lol! Quite a few calculations as well. I got 666 for the mouse's heartbeat, which was... strange.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aired)
    I know Franks, lol! Quite a few calculations as well. I got 666 for the mouse's heartbeat, which was... strange.
    I got that too *hopes it was right*.

I got 666.66666667 or something like that, I thought *ooooh, freaky* :rolleyes: :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fleff)
    I got that too *hopes it was right*.

I got 666.66666667 or something like that, I thought *ooooh, freaky* :rolleyes: :cool:
    Yep, that's what I got! I was thinking that 666 couldn't be right, but the next question said 'the mouse has heartbeat of 550', so it should be ok.

Did you get 25 micrometers for the length of the sperm in the genetics paper?

ReputationRep:
    Lots of wierd questions on mod 3 aswell, cant remember any of them now! Managed to make up lots of answers tho
    I got 666 aswell , wheee ! I think I was too absorbed to notice tho ... !

Did you get 25 micrometers for the length of the sperm in the genetics paper?
    yah - woo, score !!

ReputationRep:
    Woo, go us.

Some of the questions were really vague, most of them were only a mark or two though. Like 'suggest how the modified nucleotides stop DNA replication'.
    I think I wrote something about it preventing the sugar-phosphate backbones joining

ReputationRep:
    Like 'suggest how the modified nucleotides stop DNA replication'.
    I think I wrote something about it preventing the sugar-phosphate backbones joining
    ahh , good idea. I think i ended up putting something like, it works the same way as a primer, effectively telling the dna polymerase to 'stop copying here'. hmm dont think thats right tho !!

ReputationRep:
    Ooooh, this is the only one I got stumped on for unit 2:

5.d. Something along the lines of 'using your knowledge on genes, how does the relative concentration of growth restriction thingys make roots or stems'... I can't remember the wording of it at all

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't sure about that one either. Something about providing the right conditions for synthesis of the different genes causing differentiation or promoting the genes?

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah, THAT question. I wrote about the hormones telling the cell which genes to express, not sure if I'm right though.

Oh and also, for the Sanger sequencing question, the base sequence you had to write out was complemetary to the bases in the gel electrophoresis, right?

ReputationRep:
    I got 666 as well woo .

Also put the sugar-phosphate backbone idea.

Module 2 was far harder than module 3 in my opinion. I knew the answers but just couldnt seem to express them at all.

Ah balls.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 9, 2005

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Buckingham
    Open Evening Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.