Monthly Living Expenses Watch

This discussion is closed.
Blackmarket Boy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by jiggaman7)
lol but i presume if taken in the long run it has slight david blaine-esque effects... the problems with the starvation and people throwing eggs at you(dunno why)
I thought you were going to say 'magic' for a sec when you said David Blaine effects lol

As John Maynard Keynes is most famously quoted: 'In the long run, we're all dead'

So appropriate here
jiggaman7
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Blackmarket Boy)
I thought you were going to say 'magic' for a sec when you said David Blaine effects lol

As John Maynard Keynes is most famously quoted: 'In the long run, we're all dead'

So appropriate here
lol
CNN Center
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
In the long-run, we are indeed all dead; but we have to think about the short-run nonetheless!

The cost of a tuxedo is insignificant when total living costs are considered. In any case, I do not think I'll be buying a tuxedo. I don't really like formal events. Can't we just make do with suits and ties? I'd probably rent one as and when necessary.

I think living costs are going to shoot up when we move into private apartments in years two and three.
Beekeeper
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by CNN Center)
In the long-run, we are indeed all dead; but we have to think about the short-run nonetheless!

The cost of a tuxedo is insignificant when total living costs are considered. In any case, I do not think I'll be buying a tuxedo. I don't really like formal events. Can't we just make do with suits and ties? I'd probably rent one as and when necessary.

I think living costs are going to shoot up when we move into private apartments in years two and three.
I'll be getting a part-time job. I may even get one in first year. I'm undecided.
CNN Center
Rep:
?
How much does a typical part-time job pay? 5 pounds an hour for something like waitering?

I don't know what course you're studying but do you think your work will get in the way of your studies?
Beekeeper
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
How much does a typical part-time job pay? 5 pounds an hour for something like waitering?

I don't know what course you're studying but do you think your work will get in the way of your studies?
It would only be a weekend job, and i expect it would pay about £10p/hour.
CNN Center
Rep:
?
How much does waitering pay on average?
jiggaman7
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago

??no unless you expect to be studying all day every day....which i dont really see in you CNN Center.......im gna try and geta part-time job for one day on the weekend and maybe two weeknights......i think il need the money.....
.....waitering pays £10.00 an hour? since when? if it does thats cool, awesome and fantastic news
*Hythlodaeus*
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by beekeeper_)
It would only be a weekend job, and i expect it would pay about £10p/hour.
I know the London weighting means you will be paid more, but I wouldn't have thought it would be that much. A typical part time job round my way is about £4-5 an hour. I would estimate that London may pay a few pounds more but not a tenner. Although I would like it if they did
CNN Center
Rep:
?
I thought minimum wage was 4.50?
Blackmarket Boy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I thought minimum wage was 4.50?
I thought it was £4.85 (going up to £5.05?)
*Hythlodaeus*
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Blackmarket Boy)
I thought it was £4.85 (going up to £5.05?)
Actually, you're correct. I was estimating 4-5 from the last time i was in work which was when I was 17 (I stopped because I hated it). So yes the minimum wage for over 18 is more, but even so I don't think £10/ph is the norm.

And the kind of job that most people will be able to get, which is flexible enough etc., will be the lowest paid area of work- the services, so don't get your hopes up.
af1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
for a full time job me thinks, part time is different.. although im on 6.50 now in a call centre
CNN Center
Rep:
?
af1, I'm at a call-centre too (though today will be my last day of work)! However, I'm paid Singapore wages - seven Singapore dollars an hour to be precise, that works out to slightly more than only two pounds an hour! By Singapore standards, however, seven dollars an hour is already very good.

I still haven't got my first question answered. How much are living expenses like when in years two and three?
LSE_PostGradQT
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
OK kids, hear it from the pro... I'm doing my master's at the LSE... I pay about 600/month in rent (but I live center of London walking distance from LSE). Friends who live in zone2-3 seem to be able to find places for 400 or so. I probably spend on average another 250 a month. And I go out quite a bit to eat out, party etc. I don't live extravagantly, but I'm not living pauperly either. I think the spectrum would be between 600-100 depending what kind of lifestyle you'd have.

Yes you can get by on 600.
say 350 rent
student tube pass 50
200 for the rest
CNN Center
Rep:
?
Kowtow!
Londo
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by LSE_PostGradQT)
OK kids, hear it from the pro... I'm doing my master's at the LSE... I pay about 600/month in rent (but I live center of London walking distance from LSE). Friends who live in zone2-3 seem to be able to find places for 400 or so. I probably spend on average another 250 a month. And I go out quite a bit to eat out, party etc. I don't live extravagantly, but I'm not living pauperly either. I think the spectrum would be between 600-100 depending what kind of lifestyle you'd have.

Yes you can get by on 600.
say 350 rent
student tube pass 50
200 for the rest
You can live from 550 living in LSE accommodation. Single.
CNN Center
Rep:
?
550? Did you include things like food, laundry, haircuts, bills, transport and stuff? Or are you only talking about accommodation?
Londo
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
550? Did you include things like food, laundry, haircuts, bills, transport and stuff? Or are you only talking about accommodation?
I include accommodation, food and transports.
CNN Center
Rep:
?
700 would be more than enough then.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (169)
18.51%
No (556)
60.9%
Not really bothered about them (188)
20.59%

Watched Threads