The Student Room Group

Studential personal Statements...

...for chemistry...

Anyone found any good ones there? In my opinion most of them are, I dunno, a bit naff. No offence if anyone has one up there, but I don't find many of them either work, or sound right...

Does anyone have any suggestions of where else to look? other than studential and the TSR PS section?

Many of the personal statements submitted to UCAS are a bit naff :p:

Instead of trying to cream ideas from others :p: just write one and upload it to us and we'll happily give you some pointers :yep:
Reply 2
Well it depends on your luck! I posted my on PS Help forum since February and got absolutely no PS feedbacks!
Reply 3
EierVonSatan
Many of the personal statements submitted to UCAS are a bit naff :p:

Instead of trying to cream ideas from others :p: just write one and upload it to us and we'll happily give you some pointers :yep:

Thanks, I probably will : )

Im just trying to get the basic structure in there, work out exactly what it is I want to say and whatnot.

Just a brief plea for advice :tongue:...

Do you reckon it is worth putting in something about my personal life at all? I’m writing a lot about what my interests in chemistry are, relating to books/articles that I’ve read and such… whereas some PS that Ive seen hardly talk chemistry at all, it’s all stuff about DofE and being a prefect at school :tongue: haha none of which I have done! I guess I need to show I do other stuff than college work, but ideally shouldn't it be mostly focussed on chemistry/what interests me and why I wanna do the course...?

Thanks hehe
MrChem
Thanks, I probably will : )

Im just trying to get the basic structure in there, work out exactly what it is I want to say and whatnot.

Just a brief plea for advice :tongue:...

Do you reckon it is worth putting in something about my personal life at all? I’m writing a lot about what my interests in chemistry are, relating to books/articles that I’ve read and such… whereas some PS that Ive seen hardly talk chemistry at all, it’s all stuff about DofE and being a prefect at school :tongue: haha – none of which I have done! I guess I need to show I do other stuff than college work, but ideally shouldn't it be mostly focussed on chemistry/what interests me and why I wanna do the course...?

Thanks hehe

I'd say that you should set out your PS so that 75% of it is written about the academics. By all means add some stuff about yourself too such as your hobbies, extra-curriculars etc. but pick out the most relevant things and say what you've got from doing them :smile:
Reply 5
EierVonSatan
I'd say that you should set out your PS so that 75% of it is written about the academics. By all means add some stuff about yourself too such as your hobbies, extra-curriculars etc. but pick out the most relevant things and say what you've got from doing them :smile:

Ok thanks, so you reckon just a short paragraph on say my musical interests (e.g. playing drums) would be alright?

I dont seem to find any way to fit it in though, in my eyes its not too relevant hehe.
MrChem
Ok thanks, so you reckon just a short paragraph on say my musical interests (e.g. playing drums) would be alright?

I dont seem to find any way to fit it in though, in my eyes its not too relevant hehe.

Yeah that would be fine :yy:
I hardly wrote anything about physics in mine just that it really interested in me. 80% of mine was EC's, they ask you everything about your subject choice at interviews anyway.
Reply 8
doggyfizzel
I hardly wrote anything about physics in mine just that it really interested in me. 80% of mine was EC's, they ask you everything about your subject choice at interviews anyway.

Ah right ok... I can't seem to find much else to write about, other than chemistry :tongue: haha

Some unis do tend to ask more about the subject than others though I'm assuming - Imperial said on their open day that they ask you some questions about mechanisms and such to make sure you understand and can explain some basic points.
MrChem
Ah right ok... I can't seem to find much else to write about, other than chemistry :tongue: haha

Some unis do tend to ask more about the subject than others though I'm assuming - Imperial said on their open day that they ask you some questions about mechanisms and such to make sure you understand and can explain some basic points.

I dunno about imp, the guys at UCL started basic and then it got harder and harder, until I failed:p: I think its important to make sure they know you have thought about wanting to do chemistry, and that you have explored other options. I discussed maths and engineering and then used those experiences to say how that had cemented my decision to study physics. I think writing I read new scientist and take an interest in currents event is pointless, how many apps are going to say that.
Reply 10
doggyfizzel
I dunno about imp, the guys at UCL started basic and then it got harder and harder, until I failed:p: I think its important to make sure they know you have thought about wanting to do chemistry, and that you have explored other options. I discussed maths and engineering and then used those experiences to say how that had cemented my decision to study physics. I think writing I read new scientist and take an interest in currents event is pointless, how many apps are going to say that.

Mmm fair enough - I havent written about keeping up to date and whatnot, more of what particular aspects of chemistry appeal, where I want to go from here, stuff like that. But then, how many other apps will go on about how much they like organic chemistry :tongue: hehe

I'm gonna do another redraft, and try and limit the amount I talk about actual topics like organic, and try talk a bit more about how I'm sure I want to do it.

But yeah, thanks for the help!
MrChem
Mmm fair enough - I havent written about keeping up to date and whatnot, more of what particular aspects of chemistry appeal, where I want to go from here, stuff like that. But then, how many other apps will go on about how much they like organic chemistry :tongue: hehe

I'm gonna do another redraft, and try and limit the amount I talk about actual topics like organic, and try talk a bit more about how I'm sure I want to do it.

But yeah, thanks for the help!

Jut remember if you talk about 1 area to much they may ask about it at interview and the interviewer is going to know a lot more than you, so make sure you actually know a fair bit.
Reply 12
doggyfizzel
Jut remember if you talk about 1 area to much they may ask about it at interview and the interviewer is going to know a lot more than you, so make sure you actually know a fair bit.

Yeah, good advice hehe : )

I'm trying to talk about certain topics in a way that shows I'm interested, but without sounding like I know loads about them. As like you said, I don't wanna come off trying to be a know it all to someone who actually is aha :tongue:
What is the turnaround time for PS review service? Has anyone used it recently?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending