The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Can't pay my first terms rent, until I receive student loan

The title says it all. UPP Broadgate Park have asked that I pay for my first term's rent on the arrival date, but as many of you know, we won't be receiving our loans until about 3-5 days after we get there (we have to enrol and register before we get any loans through).

If I could just defer my payments until the loan came through, that would be great. The only reason I can't pay for my rent with my parents money is that they are paying for my brothers tuition fees which come first, and with dad falling ill off work we can't afford to pay for both T_T.

Scroll to see replies

Talk to the accommodation people, explain your situation. They will probably let you defer it a few days if you're waiting for your loan.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
This will be a common problem. Call UPP and tell them - I'm sure they'll be understanding. To be honest I don't know why they still want to be paid before people get their loans, year after year...
Reply 3
What if I want to change the halls in the first 2 weeks, how do I sort the payment out?
Reply 4
julija
What if I want to change the halls in the first 2 weeks, how do I sort the payment out?

The accommodation office will deal with that sort of thing - they should be involved if you decide to move halls anyway though.
Reply 5
alex-hs
This will be a common problem. Call UPP and tell them - I'm sure they'll be understanding. To be honest I don't know why they still want to be paid before people get their loans, year after year...

I asked them to explain why they do this....they didn't.

I honestly can't think why they do it. Surely is just causes more work for them with hundreds of students emailing/calling?? I was one of the people emailing trying to sort it.

Not only that but new students with a million other things to worry about, then have to worry about receiving payment dates from the uni requesting money before they have it.

I know the letter says contact them once you have a payment schedule but surely it would be easier to just take a small deposit until the loan arrives and be done with this nonsense??

Anyway, rant over!
Reply 6
i'm sure if you talk to them they'll be fine. However surely you haven't been so bone idle that you haven't bothered working for the past 2-3 years and haven't earned any money this summer so you could just use the money you have saved up
Reply 7
The best suggestion is the one by the guy with the unpronounceable username. If the worst comes to the worst and you can't defer payment then ask your bank to extend your overdraft for a week or so until you get your loan.
Reply 8
TomLeigh
The title says it all. UPP Broadgate Park have asked that I pay for my first term's rent on the arrival date, but as many of you know, we won't be receiving our loans until about 3-5 days after we get there (we have to enrol and register before we get any loans through).

If I could just defer my payments until the loan came through, that would be great. The only reason I can't pay for my rent with my parents money is that they are paying for my brothers tuition fees which come first, and with dad falling ill off work we can't afford to pay for both T_T.

I may sound silly but ask a closest trustworthy friend to lend you the money and you will owe them back + profit?
Reply 9
can't believe someone negged me for a perfectly reasonable response
Exact same thing happened to me (but with cripps hall)- i emailed the warden and she changed my payment schedule in a matter of hours to match my student finance schedule :smile:. Gl.
Reply 11
s1mon

I know the letter says contact them once you have a payment schedule but surely it would be easier to just take a small deposit until the loan arrives and be done with this nonsense?

They do. :indiff: Provided you send them a copy of your payment schedule, you only need to pay £250 on arrival. You then have two weeks to pay the rest.

OP, check this is still the case for this year.
interest free over draft with student accounts eliminate this very problem.
Yep. Can't see the issue. How much do you owe them in the first week? Your interest-free overdraft should be over £1000 unless you made a poor choice of bank.
Reply 14
elsa_89
They do. :indiff: Provided you send them a copy of your payment schedule, you only need to pay £250 on arrival. You then have two weeks to pay the rest.

OP, check this is still the case for this year.

No where on my accommodation letter did it say you 'only need to pay £250 on arrival'. It simply said 'you owe us £xxx amount. If you can't pay it, contact us and we will revise your payment schedule'.

Which is exactly what I did. My first payment is now due on the 1st October with no mention of a deposit.

I don't actually care either way- I have the money and rearranging payment was totally straightforward, it just seems like a silly way of doing things.
s1mon
No where on my accommodation letter did it say you 'only need to pay £250 on arrival'. It simply said 'you owe us £xxx amount. If you can't pay it, contact us and we will revise your payment schedule'.

Which is exactly what I did. My first payment is now due on the 1st October with no mention of a deposit.

I don't actually care either way- I have the money and rearranging payment was totally straightforward, it just seems like a silly way of doing things.

Exactly the same as me :smile:. OP- just contact them and they will change it, oh and fyi, the deposit is included in the first payment so don't worry about that either.
Reply 16
2Av
I may sound silly but ask a closest trustworthy friend to lend you the money and you will owe them back + profit?

Heh, I'm a fairly trusting person but the only person I'd lend £1500 (or anything around that figure) to is my brother!
Reply 17
philjw
Heh, I'm a fairly trusting person but the only person I'd lend £1500 (or anything around that figure) to is my brother!

I'm sure if you let the accommodation company know your situation, surely they can sort something out.
Reply 18
Same thing happened to me last year TS. What I did was ring up and they told me I could pay £250 then (they sent me a receipt through the post) and pay the rest at reception when I got it. Went very smoothly and there was no messing about on move-in day.
Reply 19
yay I've just got an interest-free overdraft of 1500 quid from Barclays. That should be enough for 3 months because I really doubt that I will get a student loan this September..

Latest

Trending

Trending