Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    just wonderin coz im thinking of taking 1 but are they beneficial or not. coz my parents are nagging saying that it will be 1 year wasted out of my life. i think this is ******** but wot do u guys think (soz bout the lang)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmz)
    just wonderin coz im thinking of taking 1 but are they beneficial or not. coz my parents are nagging saying that it will be 1 year wasted out of my life. i think this is ******** but wot do u guys think (soz bout the lang)

I didn't but I wish I had. All the people who have taken gap years seem a lot more confident - and besides , when am I going to get the opportunity to travel now? So I'd say go for it! Besides, unis quite like people to do gap years now or so it seems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    I didn't but I wish I had. All the people who have taken gap years seem a lot more confident - and besides , when am I going to get the opportunity to travel now? So I'd say go for it! Besides, unis quite like people to do gap years now or so it seems.

yeah i agree its not like ive much choice really coz ive got crap grades lol but at least with not taking a gap year ure a year ahead (if ya know wot i mean)

ReputationRep:
    hmm... i definetely want to do a gap year, especially if I can get some placement in a different country (teaching or working with children or job even!).

I would say there a good idea, devolps your independance massivly (well I hope so), and a friend of mine went to teach English in China and came back to study Law at Durham, and he said it was massivly beneficial.

However, when top up fees come through, 2006 will be the first year affected, which would be my starting uni year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmz)

I want to take a gap year when I'm older. It's an amazing oppurtunity and experience. Many people say it's the best year of their lives.
    They develp independence, freedom and get the chance to travel which sounds like fun.

I can't wait until I'm 18....

ReputationRep:
    A gap year is only beneficial if you actually do something constructive with it (like get a good job for a year, or travel). Some of my friends are having gap years, one has even sat around since leaving school without a job, wishing she had come to uni straight away.

I'm glad that I came straight to uni, i think having a gap year would personally have been a bit of a waste of time for me, especially since by the time i came to applying last year, I was really really excited about the whole thing - waiting a year extra would have probably riuned the excitement.

However overall, its what you want to do - if you show your parents that it will be productive then i'm sure they'll support you. You may be more confident by the time you come to uni, and develop some more skill. But don't just take one for the sake of a 'year off'. Its up to you, but make sure you're doing something you enjoy!!!

ReputationRep:
    I'm on a gap year.

My advice is only take a gap year if you have something planned. If you haven't got anything planned and just plan to sit at home then it's going to look really bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    I'm on a gap year.

My advice is only take a gap year if you have something planned. If you haven't got anything planned and just plan to sit at home then it's going to look really bad.
    I took 3 years lol - have been working but am going to uni in 2004!

ReputationRep:
    i know people that have come back too "matured" from their gap years and don't enjoy uni life so much but most people i know absolutely loved their experiences. It just depends on what you're going to do with you time.I get a year in spain/lLatin America or Portugal/Brazil during my 3rd year anyway so i wasn't fussed about a gap year. The only thing i rejret is that i'm quite behind on my language skills than people that went on the gap year. I'm still glad i didn't have a whole year out but i wished i did more travelling in the summer holldiays.

ReputationRep:
    I had a Gap year and I don't regret it at all. It wasn't as structured as it could have been, but I worked for most of it in a decent (if mind-numbing) job, spent the winter working and attempting to ski in Switzerland and then went to Mexico in the summer. It's done wonders for my confidence and independence, and I didn't "forget how to work" as so many of my friends feared they would if they took one. I'm sure I'd have done alright at uni if I hadn't had one, but I think I'm enjoying it a lot more now that I have.

ReputationRep:
    any1 else going to take a gap year

ReputationRep:
    I am currently on my gap year. Have been spending the time since finishing my A levels working my backside off and I finish my temping job in 2 weeks time. I then have a couple of weeks b4 leaving for a 7 month placement to Ghana on Jan 13th.
    I was worried that I'd regret it whne all my friends went off to uni but I didn't at all. I haven't had time to miss them as I've been so busy and I've visited them all so now I'm really excited about uni too!!
    I can't wait!!
    xxxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by La_la_la)
    I am currently on my gap year. Have been spending the time since finishing my A levels working my backside off and I finish my temping job in 2 weeks time. I then have a couple of weeks b4 leaving for a 7 month placement to Ghana on Jan 13th.
    I was worried that I'd regret it whne all my friends went off to uni but I didn't at all. I haven't had time to miss them as I've been so busy and I've visited them all so now I'm really excited about uni too!!
    I can't wait!!
    xxxx
    yeah i keep thinkin i'll regret it and end up wiv a dead end job all my life.

ReputationRep:
    I'm taking one at the moment, so I really think they're worthwhile. I've got a job (I'm actually at work now...whoops!) and I'm planning to save some money for uni. I also think this is valuable work experience, that I wouldn't have gotten if i hadn't of decided to take a year out.

I just didn't feel ready to go off to Uni, so I withdrew my 2003 place, and now that I've visited friends at their uni's I know what to expect and I'm looking forward to it

ReputationRep:
    I've got a job, i'm doing it at the moment (well, not really doing it )

It's so boring and frustrating. I don't care if it looks good or not. If i had any better offers i'd leave this job so quickly.

ReputationRep:
    i am definitely taking a gap year next year to teach in africa. i visited portsmouth uni last week (where i wanna go) and i kinds hesitated thinking everyone's gonna have moved on to uni and i'll be with all people a year younger but it's true-when am i ever gonna have this oppurtunity again? and also, if you do it at this age, you're more likely to get financial help from trusts and stuff coz, well, they like younger people doing stuff i spose dearyxxx

ReputationRep:
    I was gonna take a gap year, but then i went to visit my friends at uni and it just looks sooooo much fun i can't wait to go!!! so i'm gonna do my travelling at the end of uni, when i have more time (years) and earning potential.

ReputationRep:
    I'm taking what I consider a gap year...well no, what my parents consider a gap year.
    My sister took a gap year working at a bank and then didn't want to give up having lots of money so my gap year consists of me getting AS levels in French, Spanish and Sociology whilst earning some money as well, you don't have to work quite as hard as you did the year before as you have your qualifications and these are just add ons. It also looks impressive on your UCAS statement I believe as it shows that you want to reinforce what you have and that your willing to try new things and your not in a rush to a get a degree.
    I also decided to take this gap year as my birthday is on the 28th August so I'd be like one of the youngest and I didn't feel confident to leave just yet.
    It's a good option to look at though, personally I wish I were at University right now.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.