The Student Room Group

Recommend a good German grammar book?

I'm looking to teach myself both basic and perhaps a little more advanced German grammar - can anyone recommend any good guide books for this? Preferably something set up for self-teaching rather than as a course companion. I'm not a complete beginner at German (IB HL German) but my grammar is questionable at the best of times and I'd like to finally get it sorted and have a strong grounding.
Reply 2
ah, perfect! That is exactly what I was looking for - thank you!
Reply 3
Hammer is good. I also have "The German Handbook" by Paul Webster.
Reply 4
For something that's quite lightweight, Collins do Easy Learning books on vocab, conjugations and grammar for each of the popular languages - German as well as French and Spanish. I've bought all three for German, they're about £7 each but they're really good with all the tables, example sentences for each point like conjunctions etc...
Reply 5
aktion grammatik. 'nuff said.
Reply 6
The Collins one? If it's the first time you've studied a foreign language, I would not get this book though; it uses a lot of technical terms etc which could confuse some.
Reply 7
not sure if they have the german equivilant but look for schaum's outline to grammar.
ive got the french 1 and its v.useful
I've been using 'English Grammar for Students of German' - it explains each point in simple English, gives English examples and then explains how it works in German and gives German examples [which are the same as the English ones, only is German]. Of course, you might have bought a book by now!
The Hammer books and English Grammar for Students of German are both great - although the second title is probably redundant if you have bought the Hammer books.
I always found Essential German Grammar to be fine for me, although one of the contributors is the same as the author of the Hammer book, so it's a small field really.
Reply 11
I've found Essential German Grammar to be extremely useful this year and would certainly recommend it for those who have little knowledge of German grammar. I also have Hammer, and found it was more useful to have read Essential German Grammar on any given topic and then refer to Hammer afterwards for the points which weren't mentioned in EGG.:smile:
Reply 12
I've strruggled with German for several years. The scales fell off my eyes when I got hold of 'German Grammar' by Paul Webster ('Red, Black Gold' series). Its logical, its simple and best of all it gives rules. Rules is what you need when learning this fiendish language, something that allows the brain to latch onto the right word without always having to think it through..........rules like 'when a word is made into the diminuitive by adding -chen to the end, the gender always becomes neuter'. So Webster is definitely my recommendation.
i am not sure what level your on but i recently bought the CGP GCSE German book. Its really useful and some bits are funny! written for all type of learners (auditory,visual ect.). really recommend has a c-d in it so you can do listening exercises!

hope that helped :smile:
Hammer Grammar is all I need :smile:
Reply 15
Zeitgeist is a brilliant German workbook.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending