Turn on thread page Beta

no such thing as a 'safe' drug watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    why do people think that it is ok to do drugs like pot as they say it is a safe drug. There is no such thing!!!1

ReputationRep:
    ive got more chance of dieing when walking across the road than smoking pot...need to put perspective on it all

ReputationRep:
    Most drugs arent safe. Its because its fun, people drink to relax, smooke to look cool, drink coca cola or coffee to keep them awake, smoke to pot to get stoned and look cool. its the smae as any other drug

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by love_4_ducks)
    why do people think that it is ok to do drugs like pot as they say it is a safe drug. There is no such thing!!!1
    boviously no drug is 100% safe, but the same goes for medical drugs too, and any other walk of life for that matter,(like MattG points out)

nothing is safe, but it IS all relative - isn't it obvious thta pot is safER than coke or E?

ReputationRep:
    Pot is relatively harmless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by love_4_ducks)
    there is no such thing as scuh either

sorry just being annoying but you are very right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Linda)
    Pot is relatively harmless.
    This is basicly wrong. Compared to cigarettes, marihuana is more harmfull, however, since marihuana is typically consumed less offen than cigarettes, the damage is also less. With an equal consumption, marihuana is however more harmfull than cigarettes (It contain higher concentrations of cancerogenic substances, more tar etc etc ). This of course depend on the quality and how pure the substance is, but generally both cause quite substantial damage and trigger cancer. In defense of marihuana, it is not equally addictive as nicotin (Nicotin have among the strongest physical addictiveness of all drugs) yet this is only a comparision, and it means in no way that marihuana is not addictive. Also, the active substance in cannabis is known to trigger several psychologicall diseases among those who have the prerequisite for it. As an example, cannabis trigger scizofrenia. Cannabis is also known to disturb the hormon cycle of wommen ( This is way more serious than it sounds).

Furthermore, even if pure nicotin may be more harmfull than pure THC( I do not know if it is, and the information on this field is quite limited) Id say its not a good idea to consume either one of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonatan)
    This is basicly wrong. Compared to cigarettes, marihuana is more harmfull, however, since marihuana is typically consumed less offen than cigarettes, the damage is also less. With an equal consumption, marihuana is however more harmfull than cigarettes (It contain higher concentrations of cancerogenic substances, more tar etc etc ). This of course depend on the quality and how pure the substance is, but generally both cause quite substantial damage and trigger cancer. In defense of marihuana, it is not equally addictive as nicotin (Nicotin have among the strongest physical addictiveness of all drugs) yet this is only a comparision, and it means in no way that marihuana is not addictive. Also, the active substance in cannabis is known to trigger several psychologicall diseases among those who have the prerequisite for it. As an example, cannabis trigger scizofrenia. Cannabis is also known to disturb the hormon cycle of wommen ( This is way more serious than it sounds).

Furthermore, even if pure nicotin may be more harmfull than pure THC( I do not know if it is, and the information on this field is quite limited) Id say its not a good idea to consume either one of them.
    Yes you are right that cannabis can cause ill health. However, this can also be said for many legal drugs - alcohol springs to mind. Many thousands of people die every year from the effects of consuming alcohol and the consequences of people's actions whilst under the influence.

You have to put all this into perspective. If I had to do one or the other, I would rather use cannabis than drink alcohol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NikNak)
    Yes you are right that cannabis can cause ill health. However, this can also be said for many legal drugs - alcohol springs to mind. Many thousands of people die every year from the effects of consuming alcohol and the consequences of people's actions whilst under the influence.

You have to put all this into perspective. If I had to do one or the other, I would rather use cannabis than drink alcohol.
    What concentrations? I can guarantee you that if you consumed the same amounts of cannabis as alcohol, then cannabis would be way worse...

Furthermore, in sufficently small concentrations alcohol is actually good for you ( These are far lower concentrations than those needed to get you drunk).

Im not going to say whether cannabis should be legalised or not (I had a dicussion about that a few weeks ago, and those arguments simply woant end). All Im saying is that cannabis is way more harmfull than what most people beleive. My advice is not to abuse drugs at all, as they are all quite harmfull to your central nerve system. Now, of course, you woant die if you drink a glass of whine or coffee, but just dont go about getting hi on pot every second month, in the beleif that it is harmless.

Btw: Had cigarettes been invented today, theres no way they would be legal...

ReputationRep:
    btw- its the same with alcohol, which is why its banned in some cultures e.g. Saudi Arabia

How often do you smoke pot then if evey 2nd month is bad for you.

ReputationRep:
    What concentrations? I can guarantee you that if you consumed the same amounts of cannabis as alcohol, then cannabis would be way worse...

Furthermore, in sufficently small concentrations alcohol is actually good for you ( These are far lower concentrations than those needed to get you drunk).

Im not going to say whether cannabis should be legalised or not (I had a dicussion about that a few weeks ago, and those arguments simply woant end). All Im saying is that cannabis is way more harmfull than what most people beleive. My advice is not to abuse drugs at all, as they are all quite harmfull to your central nerve system. Now, of course, you woant die if you drink a glass of whine or coffee, but just dont go about getting hi on pot every second month, in the beleif that it is harmless.

The fact is they are not used in the same concentrations. People go out every weekend and get completely drunk - just visit your local A&E on a friday night and you will see what I mean by Alcohol being a dangerous drug. How many people are killed each year by drink driving. How many people die each year of sclerosis of the liver?

Yes Cannabis can cause health issues but no more than any other drug (such as alcohol) and I don't see you protesting to get alcohol made illegal. Get a life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NikNak)
    The fact is they are not used in the same concentrations. People go out every weekend and get completely drunk - just visit your local A&E on a friday night and you will see what I mean by Alcohol being a dangerous drug. How many people are killed each year by drink driving. How many people die each year of sclerosis of the liver?

Yes Cannabis can cause health issues but no more than any other drug (such as alcohol) and I don't see you protesting to get alcohol made illegal. Get a life.
    Id appreciate it if you read my posts before you answered to them. I am not saying that cannabis shoudl be illegal and alcohol should not. Im just saying that cannabis is way more harmful than most people beleive... When it comes to what drugs should be legal or not, frankly, I dont give a damn... Im not using any of them anyways... Some people have quite good arguments for legalising cannabis, other say we shoudl prohibit alcohol instead. Either view has its strengths and weaknesses. Furthermore, that more people die from alcohol abuse doesnt mean that cannabis is a safe drug, it merely means that an abuse of alcohol is dangerous as well.

About that "get a life" part its not even worth e comment...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JSM)
    btw- its the same with alcohol, which is why its banned in some cultures e.g. Saudi Arabia

How often do you smoke pot then if evey 2nd month is bad for you.
    I do not smoke cannabis, I do not try to get myself drunk. I do drink whine or beer occasionally, but not in order to get drunk ( A few "friends" of mine got me drunk some time ago, but thats another story...)

ReputationRep:
    A few "friends" of mine got me drunk some time ago, but thats another story...
    Do tell!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Linda)
    Do tell!
    Basicly we was at this trip to a cabin of a friend of ours, and we had a barbeque. They insisted to buy me a bottle of whine, and I thought "well why not?". Unexperienced with alcohol as I was at that time I simply drank some whine to the dinner, they kept refilling my glass, and I just kept drinking til half the bottle was delt with. At that time, it didnt seem to be such a big deal to drink the rest as well. So to the cheers of my dear "friends" I finished a bottle of red whine in a little less than an hour.

Considdering that I was about 60kg at the time, and that it was the first time I drank more than one glass of whine on the same occasion, I was quite tipsy. I remember most of it thoygh, and I didnt throw up ( I wasnt that drunk, just to the level where you keep on talking regardless if others are interested or not. Hmmmmm, considdering that I do that when Im sober, I wounder what it was like to listen to me back then...)

ReputationRep:
    Basicly we was at this trip to a cabin of a friend of ours, and we had a barbeque. They insisted to buy me a bottle of whine, and I thought "well why not?". Unexperienced with alcohol as I was at that time I simply drank some whine to the dinner, they kept refilling my glass, and I just kept drinking til half the bottle was delt with. At that time, it didnt seem to be such a big deal to drink the rest as well. So to the cheers of my dear "friends" I finished a bottle of red whine in a little less than an hour.

Considdering that I was about 60kg at the time, and that it was the first time I drank more than one glass of whine on the same occasion, I was quite tipsy. I remember most of it thoygh, and I didnt throw up ( I wasnt that drunk, just to the level where you keep on talking regardless if others are interested or not. Hmmmmm, considdering that I do that when Im sober, I wounder what it was like to listen to me back then...)
    wine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by icy)
    wine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by icy)
    wine
    Thish whine tashted preddy god...

ReputationRep:
    whats long multicoloured and smells of cannabis?

the dole queue

ReputationRep:
    Thish whine tashted preddy god...
    Swedes...

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.