The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

caz
when u eat pizza i have to smell ur damn grease

besides pot is a plant, if u wanna call it a drug u have to accept that everything is a drug since all food from plants are also, well, plants
in fact there is not one recorded death from marijuana intake in the history of the world
drugs come in many forms; in fact caffeine is a drug
dont let laws limit ur perspective--or society

oh, same old same old superficial justification.

that is absolute crap. as for one recorded death from cannabis - THAT IS NOT THE POINT. The point is the progression from pot to harder stuff - one day pot won't be enough and you move further up the spectrum. EVERYbody i know who smokes puff now does cocaine and ecstasy regularly.

not everything is about the instant - yeah, i'm sure passive tobacco/cannabis smoking might bother some people. i'm talking about long-term dependency going beyond your teenage years. it really is sad seeing a group of 25-30 year olds dropping ecstacy.

and when you write your rambling posts that go on forever and ever, might you be stoned?
Reply 41
There's nothing wrong with pills, they don't harm intelligent people (hehee) i don't know anyone who does coke. Progressive, god that usual superficial argument, if some one is likely to start pills or coke, they're probably just about as likely to do it if they never came across ganja... they have a choice, and they chose to. I'm only seriously against very few drugs.
Spc_K
There's nothing wrong with pills, they don't harm intelligent people (hehee) i don't know anyone who does coke. Progressive, god that usual superficial argument, if some one is likely to start pills or coke, they're probably just about as likely to do it if they never came across ganja... they have a choice, and they chose to. I'm only seriously against very few drugs.

i can't see how progressive is superficial. who started straight away with coke or heroin? i'm only going from life experience with a pretty heavy drug culture so i know i can't talk for everyone here.

and you're right - pills don't harm intelligent people. coz intelligent people don't do 'em!!
Reply 43
Bo!Selecta
and you're right - pills don't harm intelligent people. coz intelligent people don't do 'em!!

Would you believe me if i told you i knew you were going to say that? Yes i did really, but i suppose what i actually mean is that people who aren't fools won't die... or are at least very much less likely to die... and there's a less significant (percentage wise) loss in braincells.

With progressive i was just imitating/mocking your typical answer to caz's typical argument which i think was a tounge in cheek. The fact is it's not like you do guana and are going to obviously go other stuff.

My argument is against education, they pretty much used to / still do tell you drugs are bad, this and that and do kinda try and scare you, so i believe when most people realise, generally through ganja, that actually you've been told some seriously heavy amounts of sh1t, then they eventually figure hey, how do we know they weren't lying about other stuff too?? Some people do realise where to stop, others don't. But most people don't start other stuff because they feel that they need something more, it's not like one can be just a fiend full stop, any drug, more, this isn't enough, give me everything, fiend. Most people actually decide yea, i'll try that or this, and then do so. And if they like it they may do it again...heh.

So many people go on about coolness and crap, who goes on about how cool it is too drink? It's a stupid idea, people would just be like what are you on about? (exception: the people who keep a tally -usually exaggerated- on how much they drink... why? Even worse are the ones who are pissed and try to count up how much, how the hell could you get it right if you really drank 20 pints? And why are you talking to me instead of behind a bush relieving yourself? And who's the w4nker who asked him how much he drank anyway?) there's always some people who do anything because of some kind of twisted "need to be cool mentality" but they standout and tend to get isolated because they aren't really in the spirit of things, they are not being a part of some much greater goodness, the flow if you will. (which relates largely to the tiger of goodness, and partly to the evil bird)
Spc_K
Would you believe me if i told you i knew you were going to say that?

What i said may have been predictable - but does that make my argument false? also, i am only basing what i say on my own experience.

you seem very smug in your patronisation of what i think is a very serious subject and my opinion. it is simple - you advocate drugs, i am anti-drugs.

are you really saying that 12+ year olds should be educated that drugs are harmless and fun without being told of the side effects (which can be serious and even fatal)...don't you think kids have enough pressure on them these days without feeling obliged to participate in the drug world by being told there's virtually no risk of harm???

drugs are used as a form of escapism, which is fine while you're young - but eventually you have to ask yourself what it is that you are finding hard to face. especially if you want to maintain relationships or have a family - and keep them.
Reply 45
These discussions are always interesting.

The way I see it (if you ignore the effect of the type of person on the effects) is all drugs, foods, drinks, anything really you can consume will be harmful at the wrong intake levels. What makes drugs particularly significant is that at small levels (e.g. milligrams), they can show significant effects. Comparing nicotine to THC quantitatively is quite difficult, as the argument isn't exactly scientific. They both cause harm. One is legal, due almost entirely to it's history and very little to do with the harm it can cause. Most of the side-effects of both drug use is from impurities in the form they are obtained, not the effects of the chemicals them self. Either drug used in moderation would be most likely sustainable and have minimal effect on longevity - as with alcohol.

The problem most of the time is that moderation is not practically feasible. The illegality of THC in most countries prevents accurate regulation of concentration and impurities. The social bias towards the cigarrete rather than nicotine patches/injections ensures that the impurities are always present. From this I'm trying to say - most of the harm that occurs from THC and nicotine use has little to do with the drugs, but to do with society and the barriers to moderation as well as the influence of impurities. Alcohol suffers less from these issues because of it's history. All are potentially bad, and useful in specific physiological states at appropriate quantities.
Reply 46
Bo!Selecta
oh, same old same old superficial justification.

that is absolute crap. as for one recorded death from cannabis - THAT IS NOT THE POINT. The point is the progression from pot to harder stuff - one day pot won't be enough and you move further up the spectrum. EVERYbody i know who smokes puff now does cocaine and ecstasy regularly.

not everything is about the instant - yeah, i'm sure passive tobacco/cannabis smoking might bother some people. i'm talking about long-term dependency going beyond your teenage years. it really is sad seeing a group of 25-30 year olds dropping ecstacy.

and when you write your rambling posts that go on forever and ever, might you be stoned?

i agree, peopel think that pot kis safe so they take it and soon end up on harder drugs like crack etc
love_4_ducks
why do people think that it is ok to do drugs like pot as they say it is a safe drug. There is no such thing!!!1

hi my name is danny,
i agree about drugs, i don't think it is a good idea people doing drugs.
i suffer from asthma and i find it really hard to stay in a pub long or it is hard to hang around with people when they are smoking.

thanks danny
Reply 48
lonslow_the_man
hi my name is danny,
i agree about drugs, i don't think it is a good idea people doing drugs.
i suffer from asthma and i find it really hard to stay in a pub long or it is hard to hang around with people when they are smoking.

thanks danny

i have to move as well when my mates are smoking. you'd think i'd be use to it since i know alot of smokers.
If u think about it, there is insulin (which by terms is a drug) which can save lives, and cannabis has been known for it's medical uses too...(not that I smoke it).
Bo!Selecta
are you really saying that 12+ year olds should be educated that drugs are harmless and fun without being told of the side effects (which can be serious and even fatal)...don't you think kids have enough pressure on them these days without feeling obliged to participate in the drug world by being told there's virtually no risk of harm???

drugs are used as a form of escapism, which is fine while you're young - but eventually you have to ask yourself what it is that you are finding hard to face. especially if you want to maintain relationships or have a family - and keep them.

Children should be realisticly educated on the effects of drugs. I used to get books that said things like effects of E include: dizziness, increased heart rate, nausea etc - this is bollocks! These books actually gfive false and exagerated information to make the bad affects seem like they vastly outweigh the good effects where as in reality, in most cases, the opposite is true.

Drugs are a form of escapism, but so is everything. with drugs you're just taking the direct route. I dont do drugs anymore but can honestly say that you cannot actually get a feeling that comes close to that of pills
Reply 51
Spc_K

Spc_K

I happen to know a lot of people at the Norwegian defense minestery's reasearch institute for neurological toxins. Let just say that aftr seing the pictures of nerve cells samples from drug clean peaple compared to long term abusers of exctasy I am damn sursprised that the latter can even manage to talk...

Basicly a nerve cell has a tree-like structure. It has branches going out in all directions and conecting to other nerve cells. Exctasy literarely strips the nerve cells of these branches. The difference is horrific. Basicly, the long term damage of exctasy include all kinds of mental degeneration. The worst thing is that you woant really notice cus it happens gradually.

Furthermore, cannabis disturb the hormon system. Anyone with the slightest knowledge about human biology should realise that that is not a good thing...
JSM
btw- its the same with alcohol, which is why its banned in some cultures e.g. Saudi Arabia

How often do you smoke pot then if evey 2nd month is bad for you.

No that's no the reason. The reason is religious, not medical
J
Reply 53
It'sPhil...
Children should be realisticly educated on the effects of drugs. I used to get books that said things like effects of E include: dizziness, increased heart rate, nausea etc - this is bollocks! These books actually gfive false and exagerated information to make the bad affects seem like they vastly outweigh the good effects where as in reality, in most cases, the opposite is true.

Drugs are a form of escapism, but so is everything. with drugs you're just taking the direct route. I dont do drugs anymore but can honestly say that you cannot actually get a feeling that comes close to that of pills

The truth is however that most people do not have the slghtest clue about the harmful effects. Take Extasy as an example. It disables the boddies ability to detect and counteract an increase in body temperature. This is what cause the most cases of deaths due to extasy use. After spending a few hours in a packed party under the influence of extasy, the body temperature can rise above 42 celsius and then the enzymes of the body cease to work and you die. Furthermore, the long term effects of extasy are far more serious than the acute ones. Extasy literarrely destroy the central nerva system. Not from one dose, and not after a 100 doeses, but little by little. There is no cut off dose where the drug is harmless or any way to stop in time. The drug damages the nerve system little by little, every time it is consumed. Once you stop the damage ceases, but the damage which has already been done woant be repaired.
Jonatan
The truth is however that most people do not have the slghtest clue about the harmful effects. Take Extasy as an example. It disables the boddies ability to detect and counteract an increase in body temperature. This is what cause the most cases of deaths due to extasy use. After spending a few hours in a packed party under the influence of extasy, the body temperature can rise above 42 celsius and then the enzymes of the body cease to work and you die. Furthermore, the long term effects of extasy are far more serious than the acute ones. Extasy literarrely destroy the central nerva system. Not from one dose, and not after a 100 doeses, but little by little. There is no cut off dose where the drug is harmless or any way to stop in time. The drug damages the nerve system little by little, every time it is consumed. Once you stop the damage ceases, but the damage which has already been done woant be repaired.

yeah youve sort of shown my point. I dont deny that you can die from taking pills, but the chances are so small especially if youre sensible about it that they are basically not worth thinking about. Everytime someone drinks they could OD, but they dont think about it - When you walk along the road a car could run you over.

The long term effects are unknown and are slight in relation to the positive effects. I think the only way you can understand is to see for yourself how amazing it is but i dont think that will ever happen, and in my opinion thats your loss
Reply 55
It'sPhil...
yeah youve sort of shown my point. I dont deny that you can die from taking pills, but the chances are so small especially if youre sensible about it that they are basically not worth thinking about. Everytime someone drinks they could OD, but they dont think about it - When you walk along the road a car could run you over.

The long term effects are unknown and are slight in relation to the positive effects. I think the only way you can understand is to see for yourself how amazing it is but i dont think that will ever happen, and in my opinion thats your loss

The long term effects are quite damaging, one knows that much. The question is how much damage is done, and also why. In the case of extasy its pretty clear that it cause a major degeneration of nerve cells, and it impairs yoru mental health.
Reply 56
Jonatan
The long term effects are quite damaging, one knows that much. The question is how much damage is done, and also why. In the case of extasy its pretty clear that it cause a major degeneration of nerve cells, and it impairs yoru mental health.

and it can kill u
Reply 57
love_4_ducks
and it can kill u

at least you go out with style

Latest