The Student Room Group

Calling ALL IB'ers...Your subject combinations!

Scroll to see replies

snooopp
Choose the subjects you actually (will) enjoy, because if you don't, you'll be in misery for the next 2 years.

CAS is a compulsory component of IB. You have to do it - CAS does NOT give you any points whatsoever - the core points come from TOK and EE.

IMO, taking two languages is already difficult, let alone three at higher :eek: !

But a word of warning, I hate to say this, but taking a group 6 subject can SOMETIMES be considered 'soft' by some universities (of course, unless you are taking that subject at university level).

However, I don't think the 'soft' bit is entirely true, seeing that group 6 requires a lot of effort into coursework and projects etc. zzzz :eek3:

PS. I take psych SL myself and it is quite easy.

Thank you! Oh I didn't know CAS didn't contribute any points :s-smilie:.. so you just do it to complete the diploma then?

Yeah I thought it might be difficult doing three languages at HL but they're my strong point, I do two languages at GCSE now and it is a total breeze for me.. I'm not bragging or anything, it's just the thing I'm good at. I know HL IB would be a lot harder than the GCSE course but I think I'd be able to get through it.. Although I think it would be a shame to not do an art considering theatre and art are both interests of mine and I love doing them, even if unis do think it's 'soft' :/
Reply 181
teddypicker1
Thank you! Oh I didn't know CAS didn't contribute any points :s-smilie:.. so you just do it to complete the diploma then?

Yeah I thought it might be difficult doing three languages at HL but they're my strong point, I do two languages at GCSE now and it is a total breeze for me.. I'm not bragging or anything, it's just the thing I'm good at. I know HL IB would be a lot harder than the GCSE course but I think I'd be able to get through it.. Although I think it would be a shame to not do an art considering theatre and art are both interests of mine and I love doing them, even if unis do think it's 'soft' :/

Yep, you just do it to complete the diploma (otherwise you'll be getting certificates instead of the diploma...)

Well if you are good at languages, then why not go for it - although I'm not sure if you are going for B or A (Hopefully B - cos 3 languages at A HL? not a good idea).

I have several friends doing Art HL atm and they all said they enjoyed the course very much - albeit it can be stressful sometimes and they have to stay afterschool until evening. Most importantly do the subjects you enjoy!! :rolleyes:
English A1 SL
Indonesian B HL
Business and Management SL
Physics HL
Chemistry SL
Math HL

EE: History

:biggrin:
First year reporting in

Physics HL :biggrin:
Math HL :cool:
Chem HL :biggrin:
English A1 SL :smile:
Geography SL :yep:
Spanish ab initio SL :wink:
ToK :rolleyes:

Really enjoying the course so far.
I've been told my choice of highers is a death sentence, but seeing as I want to go into engineering (not to mention i love them all) I had to take them.

ToK is a load of BS, but it's fun as hell to just debate something for an hour.
Reply 184
Mathematics SL
Biology HL
Chemistry SL
English HL
History HL
Chinese SL
I'm a May 2007 Candidate. My subjects were:

Physics HL
Chemistry HL
Math HL
Economics (Anticipated) SL
English SL
Japanese Ab-Initio SL

Original post by LaxGoalie34
First year reporting in

Physics HL :biggrin:
Math HL :cool:
Chem HL :biggrin:
English A1 SL :smile:
Geography SL :yep:
Spanish ab initio SL :wink:
ToK :rolleyes:

Really enjoying the course so far.
I've been told my choice of highers is a death sentence, but seeing as I want to go into engineering (not to mention i love them all) I had to take them.

ToK is a load of BS, but it's fun as hell to just debate something for an hour.

They're just pansies xD
I took those for engineering gear-up too :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 186
Hello all
By the way this is my first ever post on TSR ^^

I'm currently in year 10 but I'm already starting to look at what I want to do at 6th form (or college) and then at Uni.

My school offers the IB and a few of my friends in year 12 have just started it. It looks really interesting but the idea of having to do Maths and English sort of puts me off.

I'm thinking of taking:
HL - Roman and Greek Studies (aka Classics - I know it's not a widely offered course for IB but I've heard from someone that my school offers it - I need to query it with the HoD) or Chemistry.
HL - English
HL - Art
SL - Maths Studies (I hate maths)
SL - German (I'm currently doing the GCSE ab initio)
SL - Chemistry (or Geography if I do Chemistry as HL)

I'm predicted straights As (and a few A*s) at GCSE - English Lit., English Lang., Maths, all three sciences, RS, German, Classical Civ., Geography, and Art.

I'm looking to study Classics of some sort (hopefully CAAH) at Uni

What do you guys think about my plans? Any advice?

Thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by Agdsten
Hello all
By the way this is my first ever post on TSR ^^

I'm currently in year 10 but I'm already starting to look at what I want to do at 6th form (or college) and then at Uni.

My school offers the IB and a few of my friends in year 12 have just started it. It looks really interesting but the idea of having to do Maths and English sort of puts me off.

I'm thinking of taking:
HL - Roman and Greek Studies (aka Classics - I know it's not a widely offered course for IB but I've heard from someone that my school offers it - I need to query it with the HoD) or Chemistry.
HL - English
HL - Art
SL - Maths Studies (I hate maths)
SL - German (I'm currently doing the GCSE ab initio)
SL - Chemistry (or Geography if I do Chemistry as HL)

I'm predicted straights As (and a few A*s) at GCSE - English Lit., English Lang., Maths, all three sciences, RS, German, Classical Civ., Geography, and Art.

I'm looking to study Classics of some sort (hopefully CAAH) at Uni

What do you guys think about my plans? Any advice?

Thanks in advance :smile:

Could you not take Latin or Greek HL? If you dislike the prospect of having to take English (although it's a compatible subject for your prospective degree subject), why would you take it HL?
Reply 188
Original post by ragnar_jonsson
Could you not take Latin or Greek HL? If you dislike the prospect of having to take English (although it's a compatible subject for your prospective degree subject), why would you take it HL?

Can't really do Latin or Greek as my school doesn't offer Greek at all, and Latin is only available up to GCSE level... when we chose our options I picked Classical Civ rather than Latin because I found the syllabus a lot more interesting.

I have considered self-teaching Latin, or moving to a different school or college so that I could study Latin ab initio. I've discussed the possibilities with my mum and we've concluded that we cant really afford to transfer elsewhere (due to commuting costs, etc). I'm very at home in my current school and fear moving would do more harm than good as I don't deal with change well.

Taking English depends on how I do in my GCSEs and how my older friends find it. I guess I'd swap it to SL and do Chem or Geog at HL.
Original post by Agdsten
Can't really do Latin or Greek as my school doesn't offer Greek at all, and Latin is only available up to GCSE level... when we chose our options I picked Classical Civ rather than Latin because I found the syllabus a lot more interesting.

I have considered self-teaching Latin, or moving to a different school or college so that I could study Latin ab initio. I've discussed the possibilities with my mum and we've concluded that we cant really afford to transfer elsewhere (due to commuting costs, etc). I'm very at home in my current school and fear moving would do more harm than good as I don't deal with change well.

Taking English depends on how I do in my GCSEs and how my older friends find it. I guess I'd swap it to SL and do Chem or Geog at HL.

I recommend keeping English HL if you're interested in doing Classics. Have you considered taking History HL or a language HL? Chemistry/Geography is fairly useless for your degree choice. Most universities would want you to have taken Latin or Greek to HL (but I'm not sure how your Classics HL course would play into that). I would also consider taking Latin GCSE to show them that you are dedicated, and that you only decided not to take Latin/Greek because it was not available. :smile: You should be fine, just explicitly get your reference to mention that you were not able to take a classical language at your school.

University Example Entry Requirements:

UCL - Classics BA
"36 points with a score of 17 points in three higher level subjects to include grade 6 in Greek or Latin"

Manchester - Classical Studies/Classics BA
"Typical A level offer: Grades ABB-BBB, not including Gen Studs." (Note: Latin/Greek not required)

Oxford:

"Q3. I haven't done any work in the original languages: what are my options?

No problem at all. We recognise that not every school can offer classical language teaching and we are proud that our whole range of classical degrees at Oxford, both linguistic and non-linguistic, is available to the best applicants, regardless of whether or not they have had the opportunity to study Greek and Latin before university. We provide intensive tuition in Latin and/or Greek to suit all levels of prior experience. See the table of language requirements, which shows that you can apply for any of our classical degrees (Literae Humaniores II is a version of our main Classics degree, which has been specially designed for applicants in your position)."
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 190
I recommend keeping English HL if you're interested in doing Classics. Have you considered taking History HL or a language HL? Chemistry/Geography is fairly useless for your degree choice. Most universities would want you to have taken Latin or Greek to HL (but I'm not sure how your Classics HL course would play into that). I would also consider taking Latin GCSE to show them that you are dedicated, and that you only decided not to take Latin/Greek because it was not available. :smile: You should be fine, just explicitly get your reference to mention that you were not able to take a classical language at your school.

Thanks for pulling up those examples from universities for me.
As I don't really want to study "straight" Classics, many unis don't require qualifications in the ancient languages. Indeed, Oxford offers 5 or so different variants of the subject, many of them not asking for prior knowledge. I would truly love to study at Oxford but we all know that isn't the easiest thing in the world.

I could argue that Chemistry and Geography are both important due to the Archaeology side of things. Both subjects could prove useful with many aspects of the course... I shall spare you from the details.

I might bug Head of Classics to offer some ab initio classes for 6th form... Don't know how it will turn out though as our last Latin teacher is due to retire next year. I have also repeatedly asked him to take our class to an Open Day/Workshop kind of thing at Oxford University. I presume if we went on that trip the department staff could offer me advice.

Many of my friends are telling me I'm way too young to be planning so far ahead but I disagree. I would be awfully upset if I got to Year 13 then realised I'd taken stupid subjects.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 191
History HL
English HL (and EE)
French B HL
Japanese B SL
Chemistry SL
Maths Studies SL
Reply 192
English HL
Biology HL
History HL
Maths SL
French SL
Chemistry SL

Original post by Agdsten
Thanks for pulling up those examples from universities for me.
As I don't really want to study "straight" Classics, many unis don't require qualifications in the ancient languages. Indeed, Oxford offers 5 or so different variants of the subject, many of them not asking for prior knowledge. I would truly love to study at Oxford but we all know that isn't the easiest thing in the world.

I could argue that Chemistry and Geography are both important due to the Archaeology side of things. Both subjects could prove useful with many aspects of the course... I shall spare you from the details.

I might bug Head of Classics to offer some ab initio classes for 6th form... Don't know how it will turn out though as our last Latin teacher is due to retire next year. I have also repeatedly asked him to take our class to an Open Day/Workshop kind of thing at Oxford University. I presume if we went on that trip the department staff could offer me advice.

Many of my friends are telling me I'm way too young to be planning so far ahead but I disagree. I would be awfully upset if I got to Year 13 then realised I'd taken stupid subjects.

Oh! If you are more interested in the Archaeological aspects, then that is much more understandable :smile: (Sorry about that!)

Then your subjects are much more appropriate :smile:
Reply 194
Oh! If you are more interested in the Archaeological aspects, then that is much more understandable :smile: (Sorry about that!)

Then your subjects are much more appropriate :smile:

Okay. Thanks for your words of advice :smile: (Don't apologise!)

Good luck with everything.
Reply 195
My courses are:
HL Mathematics :biggrin:
HL English A1 :smile:
HL History :biggrin:
HL Spanish B :biggrin:
SL Bulgarian A1 :smile:
SL Chemistry :smile:

EE - History written in Spanish :biggrin:
TOK - :ahhhhh:
Original post by amk933
My courses are:
HL Mathematics :biggrin:
HL English A1 :smile:
HL History :biggrin:
HL Spanish B :biggrin:
SL Bulgarian A1 :smile:
SL Chemistry :smile:

EE - History written in Spanish :biggrin:
TOK - :ahhhhh:

Wow, you're writing your History EE in Spanish, despite only being in Spanish HL? :eek:
HL Biology :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
HL Geography :biggrin:
HL English A1 :biggrin:
SL Maths :biggrin:
SL Chemistry :smile:/:|
SL Italian Ab Inition :frown:
Reply 198
Wow, you're writing your History EE in Spanish, despite only being in Spanish HL? :eek:

What do you mean by despite only being in HL Spanish?:s-smilie:

In my school the average for FLs is like 6.50 in Spanish and 6.75 in French and on the mocks that we do every month for Spanish I have never scored less than 93-4 (IB Grade) which is a 7 and it is only the second month. But I have studied A LOT of Spanish for the American standards plus I am preping for the SAT II Spanish. Just easy for me...I barely study for it and I totally love it because my grammar is already at a higher level than the Spanish HL requires it to be. Vocab comes with reading and I do read orginal text of Llosa, Allende...Spanish HL definitely is my easiest course. I wish I could sit the exam tomorrow and get done with it. :rolleyes:
Well...I am currently in my first year of IB and basically, I'm only seeking some advice to see if these are the right subject choices:

Spanish A1 (HL)
English B (HL)
History (HL)
Business & Management (HL)
Physics (SL)
Maths (SL)

EE essay: Haven't decided yet, but thinking on doing it in either Physics or Maths.

I have heard from some people that B&M is one of those "weak" subjects, and that usually, unis don't consider it that relevant....It's true or not? In case is true, should I change it for something like Psychology (HL) or Visual Arts (HL)?

Any advice would be appreciated!
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending