Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was well hard..!!! anyone else?

ReputationRep:
    AAWW, try not to worry. I did it in january last year (am now in A2 year), and did a bit bad in my 1st attempt, as i got a C for BUS1

I resat it in June and managed to pull it up to an A!! without even re - revising for it!! Therefore, i really really do recommend resitting if u havent perform as well as ud hoped.

So there is still hope even if u did find it difficult, its not ur last chance.

...and also, u may have done really well in BUS2 and BUS3, which will pull ur marks up further!

ReputationRep:
    O.o ----> ignore my last post :rolleyes: *doh

(but if theres anybody else out there in AS year...PLZ TAKE NOTE!!) :p:

ReputationRep:
    yea i agree, it was impossible to do in 1 hour too!

ReputationRep:
    lol it was hard. and its my last go... it was my first resit in it. lol

i got an A last year and i got a D in BUS1, so i must have done well in BUS 2 N BUS3, but i wanted to pull BUS1 up to give me a buffer this year.

ReputationRep:
    I think I'm going to cry when it comes to the results! I didn't know what 1c was all about!!!

ReputationRep:
    Which was 1c? I thought Bus1 was alright... it was the case study I had problems with.

Stupid maths questions... I knew all the formulae but had no idea how to apply it. This happen to anyone else?

ReputationRep:
    1c/ was the differnece between profit figures and anual net cash flow figures

ReputationRep:
    W00t Its Only Worth 15% However Bus2 + Bus3 Are Work 20% Each Of The Final Grade!

ReputationRep:
    Today I did the Business studies Unit 1. From what I recall from the paper...

[B](b)
    Calculate the increase in profits made by a typical store if average spending on customers is £8.00 (assuming annual fixed cost/contribution not changed).

Fixed cost=180000
    Contribution=£1.20
    Number sold=200000

Profit=TR-TC

TR=8.00*200000
    TR=1600000
    -
    TC=180000+240000(£1.20*200000)
    TC=420000

TR-TC=1600000-420000
    Profit=1180000

I was puzzled with my answer, did anyone get similar?

(C) WHsmith losing profit blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah,
    Give reason for difference between profits and net cash flow?

I started talking about how heavy promotion/competition ate up the profits, net is calculated after gross, and factors as those that fixed/variable cost is involved in profit and so on.

Another question I was baffled about!

(D) Marketing measure to increase profit?
    I talked about, marketing strategies, market analysis, market research.

Another question I wrote !£”$!”£$ about!

(D) how might £3billion needed to finance its plan?
    I started talking about sources of finance-internal/external, time scale, the size, and status of Kodak and gearing.

Any comparisons anyone?

ReputationRep:
    I started talking about sources of finance-internal/external, time scale, the size, and status of Kodak and gearing.

that question wasn't on the BUS1 exam was it? not for AQA business studies unit 1 for AS Level anyway was it?

I took the paper and it weren't on mine.

Scott

ReputationRep:
    also for the calculation question it said that everything remained the same (or something like that but i know this for definate) that meant that you needed to work out 20% of the £8.00 for the contribution cost and work out the sum using £1.60 instead of £1.20. I can't remember what i got in the end but im 99% sure i was right

There you go

Scott

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lias)
    Today I did the Business studies Unit 1. From what I recall from the paper...

[B](b)
    Calculate the increase in profits made by a typical store if average spending on customers is £8.00 (assuming annual fixed cost/contribution not changed).

Fixed cost=180000
    Contribution=£1.20
    Number sold=200000

Profit=TR-TC

TR=8.00*200000
    TR=1600000
    -
    TC=180000+240000(£1.20*200000)
    TC=420000

TR-TC=1600000-420000
    Profit=1180000

I was puzzled with my answer, did anyone get similar?

I did not get this question so I skipped it. :confused:

(C) WHsmith losing profit blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah,
    Give reason for difference between profits and net cash flow?

I started talking about how heavy promotion/competition ate up the profits, net is calculated after gross, and factors as those that fixed/variable cost is involved in profit and so on.

I said how money from profits was tied up in unsold stock, as the stock didnt sell as much cash flow suffered. Also talked about how profit is basically intangiable while cash is what you actually hold.

Another question I was baffled about!

(D) Marketing measure to increase profit?
    I talked about, marketing strategies, market analysis, market research.

I Used Ansoffs matrix, so basically product development,market penetration,market development and diversification and just explained all of them.
    Another question I wrote !£”$!”£$ about!

I talked about Business angels,venture capitalists,retained profits, bank loan and overdrafts and discused the pros and cons of each.

Any comparisons anyone?
    there was another question

ReputationRep:
    I did that 25% of £8 at first but then I think I changed it... I'm dreading this!

I know for sure I've lost 6 marks from quesiton 1c!!!

ReputationRep:
    There was also a question on product portfolio analysis could benefit kodak mangement. I said about how Boston Matrix could indentify Dogs which could be scrapped or problem childs which could be turned around etc.

Also I talked about Product lifecycle and discussed how even though a product is in decline it can still be a profitable time as advertising can be stopped thus reducing fixed costs like SMASH instant potato did.

ReputationRep:
    How did you do with that question in BUS2 or was it BUS3 about... Ling taking opportunities rather than threads?

ReputationRep:
    Didn't do BUS2 OR BUS3, but yes your sarcasm is noted

Take a chill pill though mate, lifes too short, Dont worry be happy .

Ill stop pissing you of now

SJ

ReputationRep:
    **** i missed out all the kodak questions ive ****ed my exam up :'( :'( wot can i do can i resit this any time? i'm so pissed off with myself!

Any Advice please

ReputationRep:
    ScottyBowwow,you can resit the unit again. I sat Unit 1, (AS) last June for my first sitting, (as I did not do so well) so I retook Unit 1 business today a year later! So yes, you can do the Unit again… I am sure you done well on the first section worth 25marks!

Damn I forgot about the 20% of £8.00, I am pissed of now!
    Never mind, I fail, I fail there is nothing I can do!

The Kodak questions were something like this:

(a)Define a Profit Centre? (1 or 2marks)

^ Straight forward question

(b) Something about Kodak’s difficulty of price elastic demand? (6marks)

^ I could not think of more than one point to get the 6marks!

(C) Analyse way how a product portfolio analysis for the Kodak management? (7-8marks)

^I started talking about Boston matrix and its pro’s/cons for the management and product life cycle and the effect on Kodak

(D) How might £3billion needed to finance its plan? (9/10marks)

^ Sources of finance-internal/external, time scale, the size, and status of Kodak and gearing. Time was running out, so I started writing in bullet points!!!

ReputationRep:
    cheers mate them questions weren't too hard either i am so gutted!

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.