Turn on thread page Beta

EDEXCEL AS Chemistry 1,2 and 3B revision thread. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully this thread is a good idea. I post a c1, c2 or c3b question and someone else responds depending on whether they're doing that module or not.

Hopefully we can cover most topics in this thread by tomorrow.

Here's the first question. Try and type it out like this.

Unit: C1
    Question: what is the chemical equation for the reaction between chlorine and water?

ReputationRep:
    2Cl2 + 2H20 ====> 4HCl + O2

ReputationRep:
    question;what is the significance of the membrane cell is the electrolysis of brine?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam_boy)
    2Cl2 + 2H20 ====> 4HCl + O2
    I thought it was this;
    Cl2 + H2O => HOCl + HCl

(Original post by Widowmaker)
    I thought it was this;
    Cl2 + H2O => HOCl + HCl
    c'est correct

ReputationRep:
    hey guys wut reactions with the ( alkanes, alkenes, halogenoalkanes and alcohols) do u need to know

peace

wacko_demon

(Original post by wacko_demon)
    hey guys wut reactions with the ( alkanes, alkenes, halogenoalkanes and alcohols) do u need to know

peace

wacko_demon

there are quite a few... check the wbateman or your syllabus for the list.

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was this;
    Cl2 + H2O => HOCl + HCl

yh fanx 4 dat, im glad i get it wrong now instead of in da exam

ReputationRep:
    aright

thanks blood

wacko_demon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wacko_demon)

peace

wacko_demon
    off the top of my head.

alkanes
    - with oxygen
    - with halogens

alkenes
    - with hydrogen
    - with halogens
    - with hydrogen halides
    - with potassium manganate solution

halogenoalkanes
    - with KOH(aq)
    - with ethanolic KOH solution
    - with ethanolic KCN solution
    - with ammonia

alcohols
    - with acidified potassium dichromate(VI) solution
    - with dehydrating agents
    - with halogenating agents

ReputationRep:
    does someone want to explain to me why silicon has a really high boiling point and phrosporus doesnt? even though they are next to each other..
    something about silicon being macro molecular and phorsporus being simple molecular comes to mind... but its 4 marks ._.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam_boy)
    question;what is the significance of the membrane cell is the electrolysis of brine?
    It separates the cell compartments during the electrolysis. I.e. it allows sodium ions to pass from the anode to the cathode compartment but does not allow the passage of hydroxide or chloride ions, thus preventing the production of sodium chlorate(I), since the the mixing of hydroxide ions and chlorine with sodium ions would produce unwanted sodium chlorate(I).

ReputationRep:
    It separates the cell compartments during the electrolysis. I.e. it allows sodium ions to pass from the anode to the cathode compartment but does not allow the passage of hydroxide or chloride ions, thus preventing the production of sodium chlorate(I), since the the mixing of hydroxide ions and chlorine with sodium ions would produce unwanted sodium chlorate(I).
    And prevents hydrogen gas and chlorine gas from reacting to form HCl gas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarforaz)
    does someone want to explain to me why silicon has a really high boiling point and phrosporus doesnt? even though they are next to each other..
    something about silicon being macro molecular and phorsporus being simple molecular comes to mind... but its 4 marks ._.
    Si is a giant covalent structure and thus has many very strong covalent bonds throughout its structure. These bonds require high energy to break and this is why Si has the highest melting point in period 3. Phosphorus is simple molecular and has very weak intramolecular forces; van der Waals which require less energy to overcome and are therefore much easier to break.

ReputationRep:
    This is a 5 mark question. So I need all the help I can get with this question, cos I only got 1 mark even though I thought I might get 3 or more marks for this question
    Thanks in advance.

State the relative thermal stability of potassium nitrate and calcium nitrate and explain how it is related to the sizes and charges of the ions involved.

I got a mark for saying that Ca has a higher charge (+2) than K(+1)
    but that's all I got correct.

ReputationRep:
    Describe what u would see in this reaction:

Cl2 + 2I- ===> I2 + 2Cl-

This is a 2 mark question

I put a dark brown solution and I got a mark for that, i just don't know what the other mark is for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heidi)
    Describe what u would see in this reaction:

Cl2 + 2I- ===> I2 + 2Cl-

This is a 2 mark question

I put a dark brown solution and I got a mark for that, i just don't know what the other mark is for.
    black (or slate grey) precipitate forms. This is iodine.

ReputationRep:
    Potassium Nitrate has much higher thermal stability than calcium nitrate.

Group II nitrates become more thermally stable down the group. WHY?: the smaller metal ion has a higher charge density therefore a higher polarising power compared to the nitrate ion. The nitrate ions has a large, easily polarisable electron cloud. Calcium ion easily polarises the large anion, attracting the electrons, this distorts the shape of the anion, the lattice is easier to breakup, this encourages decomposition.

Group I nitrates have a higher thermal stability because the potassium ion is much larger than the calcium, therefore much less polarising.

You can shorten this rather easily to fit into the answer space.

ReputationRep:
    State the relative thermal stability of potassium nitrate and calcium nitrate and explain how it is related to the sizes and charges of the ions involved.
    - Potassium nitrate is more thermally stable than calcium nitrate.
    - The calcium ion has a nuclear charge of +2 whereas the potassium ion has a nuclear charge of +1.
    - The cations both exist in the same period so the calcium ion has a smaller ionic radius than the potassium ion since it attracts electrons towards itself due to its greater charge.
    - The Ca2+ ion therefore has a greater polarising power than the K+ cation.
    - Therefore, the calcium ion is able to distort the electron cloud of the nitrate ion more effectively leading to easier decomposition, since less energy is required to completely break the bond.

ReputationRep:
    - Potassium nitrate is more thermally stable than calcium nitrate.
    - The calcium ion has a nuclear charge of +2 whereas the potassium ion has a nuclear charge of +1.
    - The cations both exist in the same period so the calcium ion has a smaller ionic radius than the potassium ion since it attracts electrons towards itself due to its greater charge.
    - The Ca2+ ion therefore has a greater polarising power than the K+ cation.
    - Therefore, the calcium ion is able to distort the electron cloud of the nitrate ion more effectively leading to easier decomposition, since less energy is required to completely break the bond.
    Much more efficient way of answering. :top:

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 8, 2005

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.