Turn on thread page Beta

Cold Showers - why? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    i prefer warm showers. it's about the only thing that can relax me and wake me up everyday for school.

ReputationRep:
    benefits:
    1. cool down after a workout
    2. makes you warmer when you step out the shower (a welcome change)
    3. wakes you up and is much more refreshing

costs:
    THE PAIN!

just dead with it! do something really intense, sprint up your road, then when you get in, do 20 pushups and punch something as fast as you can for 15 seconds, then step in and you'll hardly notice that it's cold. also if you taker the shower head off and start with your legs then get used to that it makes it easier. sometimes I enjoy just turning it on right in my face first thing in the morning. shocks you awake!

ReputationRep:
    i'm too much of a wimp to have a cold showr... i screamed when i turned the shower on and there was no hot water!

ReputationRep:
    try having a shower with the dishwasher on. one second it's burning hot the next it's ice cold. fun fun fun

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1w)
    try having a shower with the dishwasher on. one second it's burning hot the next it's ice cold. fun fun fun
    ouch!

ReputationRep:
    Some people have them because it gets them going, if you get me.

ReputationRep:
    recently ive started putting the shower on as cold as possible for 30-60 seconds at the end of a normal temperature shower. The shock of the cold ****s up your breathing it owns. Dousing yourself with buckets of ice water is so hardcore, i want to get into that

ReputationRep:
    i do it b4 i have to get into a cold pool, and it also makes averything constrict, so can be useful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spider)
    So what exactly is the deal with having cold showers? I come out of them in pretty much the exact same state as I went in.

Is it just a phrase or something?
    They wake me up and leave me feeling refreshed and happy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rock_tenth)
    recently ive started putting the shower on as cold as possible for 30-60 seconds at the end of a normal temperature shower. The shock of the cold ****s up your breathing it owns. Dousing yourself with buckets of ice water is so hardcore, i want to get into that
    I know what you mean there .. me and a few people decided to go swimming in the sea at midnight in spring (cold) and it was amazing.. the the first minute or so you breathe really fast then you calm down and get used to it and feel refreshed.. its a great experience

ReputationRep:
    Yeah its funny when you have a shower while the washing machine/dishwasher is on. The water is nice and warm and then bam, freezing cold, and then warm and then cold...he he.

I actually had to take an involuntary cold shower while I was in Milan, no-one was in home and I had to get ready to go somewhere and was all soaped up, and then the hot water cut out. I actually got out and started walking round to find out if it was just that terminal, or the boiler, turns out, it was an electric one, so I was screwed.

It was pissing down outside, was freezing cold, and I had to take a cold shower. Nice :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Nah Not in Britain !

Cold showers y risk gettin a cold !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naelse)
    shrivellage
    i think its because in the erection, its caused by the engorgement of blood in the penis. cold weather, temperatures and showers make the capilleries constrict and less blood to the extremities, so should calm an erection

mines is big first thing in the morning but goes right down in a cold shower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pete77)
    Nah Not in Britain !

Cold showers y risk gettin a cold !
    colds are indeed caused by cold water, yes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littlegnome)
    mines is big first thing in the morning but goes right down in a cold shower
    Too Much Infrormation

ReputationRep:
    *shivers* its bad enough with the weather being cold in june. let alone forcing myself into a cold shower.... ill stick to my nice warm ones... :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naelse)
    tones?
    Heh... right...

People probably do it either to cool themselves down or from some mad science thing they've read. How about it increases testosterone which promotes muscle growth? Nah.

ReputationRep:
    Cold showers, as mentioned are very helpful after exercise.
    If you ever see the rugby sevens world cup or something, you see the teams in porta-bins at the side filled with ice - trust me...this hurts! (p.s. dont try it without plenty of cold water, however untrue it sounds you can actually get burns from ice)
    Also, they dont help circulation, because unless you have been drinking something such as brandy, all the surface capillaries close up, so your skin becomes deoxygenated.
    Also, frequent exposure to cold water causes increased build up of fat within the body, as it believes it is insufficienly protected to your natural environment - look at cross channel swimmers, they are often very "robust".
    But the whole improves muscle tone thing is sorta true...when you push yourself your muscle burn is due to muscle damage aswell as lactic acid, so by cooling them down quicker you reduce the amount of damage done, and your bodies compensatory muscle growth will have a greater effect.
    I find though...after rugby its not to bad, normally because ur out there with your legs covered in freezing cold mud anyway.
    and as far as coping with ze hornito little spiderino....i dont think there are too many clinical studies on that (and if there are, i cant understand how they got funded...so maybe you should start your own little science research piece - do it for your country and your gendre)
    although...it may help you that making love, from personaly experience, was impossible in cold water (as if thats not embarrasing to say!)

ReputationRep:
    Its also a saying like instead of telling someone to calm down/cool down they just say 'go take a cold shower'

ReputationRep:
    I think I have the hottest showers possible, but towards the end, I have to cool it down a little. Otherwise your own sweat is just dripping off of you, but you don't notice it since you're in the shower.

I love HOT showers

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 9, 2005
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.