Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    PLEASE HELP! i really want to study psychology at uni, but dunno wat a lvevels i need to take in order to do this! PLase help if u have any ideas!!! thanks so much!xxxxxxxxxxx

ReputationRep:
    Most universities don't actually have a preference, but a lot of them still like you to have a scientific background. You don't need to have psychology at A level, but universities will sometimes see it as a science subject. It also shows enthusiasm... You enjoy the A level and want to study the subject further.
    All universities want you to have achieved at least C in GCSE maths (sometimes higher), and usually a C in GCSE English as well.
    In other words, choose what you like, bearing the science thing in mind!

ReputationRep:
    hm...depending on the university some ask for chemistry and/or maths at A level. Most accept GCSE maths grade though (at manchester I think it was A at GCSE, or B at As)

ReputationRep:
    if you're gonna take a BSc, then they're quite likely to require a science but a BA care less about a scientific background. it depends on the uni. dearyxxx

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys, thats relli helpful. Onli prob is im not a gr8 maths/science person! I mean, i aim to get B maths at gcse and B in biology, B in chem, c in physics and A or A* in english lang and lit.Is this still ok if i wanna do psych at uni? In your opinions? Also, i was thinking of taking psychology, english launguage, philosophy at A level and human biology at AS. Wat u think??? XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXX

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by catrinka)
    Thanks guys, thats relli helpful. Onli prob is im not a gr8 maths/science person! I mean, i aim to get B maths at gcse and B in biology, B in chem, c in physics and A or A* in english lang and lit.Is this still ok if i wanna do psych at uni? In your opinions? Also, i was thinking of taking psychology, english launguage, philosophy at A level and human biology at AS. Wat u think??? XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXX
    That sounds like quite a good plan, although be careful taking both psychology and philiosophy, as some uni's (esp. London) only like the traditional subjects, n they dont consider these to be so. If i were you, i'd check the prospectuses of the uni's that you are considering and see if they require any particular subjects and if there are any subjects which may hinder your chances of getting on to the course you want. xxxx

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Well I'm applying for Psychology and I'm doing Psychology, Maths and Biology at A2. I also have Chemistry at AS. I've got some offers so far so those subjects don't seem to have caused me any problems. I knwo one of the unis I have got an offer from (Birmingham) likes you to have atleast one traditional science subject and I think Warwick makes you a lower offer if you have 2 of more natural science subjetcs. But yeah, if its an MA your doing and the uni doesn't study Psychology as a science any subjects should be ok. Those, such as Birmingham who do a Bsc and teach it as a science often like you to have an "appreciation of Psychology as science" whether you show this through your A/AS level subject choices or you make it clear that you do in your personal statement. Hope this helps a little.........

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing psychology at Nottingham at the moment.

If you're applying for straight psychology, most places don't mind if you have a science or an arts background - I get the choice between a BSc or a BA in my second year. Obviously if you're applying for psychology and cognitive neuroscience it's better to have a science background and for psychology and philosophy it's better to have an arts background. If you wanted to apply to somewhere like Oxbridge which only really offers experimental psychology (as far as I'm aware) you need at least two science subjects. Most of the people I've spoken to on my course didn't do A-level biology or maths, it is possible to get in without them!

For A-level I did English language, I.T, biology and general studies with French at AS. Doing biology has been a huge help (one of my modules is biological psychology - action potentials and transmitter substances) and so human biology is a good idea - even if it's only at AS level. Taking maths is a good idea too because we have to do a lot of statistics work this year, but I know universities like Leicester have less emphasis on maths for their psychology degrees. Most of the universities I applied for wanted GCSE maths - at least grade B. English would help with writing the essays and lengthy lab reports, but I don't know if the universities themselves consider it more highly.

My advice would be to look around at places you may want to apply to and see what they want, but don't make choices that will restrict you to only one or two universities.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.