Turn on thread page Beta

A logical question (!?) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I've been told that I will most likley be asked a logic question at my Law interview. I've practicised a few..problem is I'm not sure if I'm solving them correctly. So here's 2 examples if anyone wants to have a go.. just to see if you got the same as I did..

If I returned to the waiting room and my coat had been taken and I then took another one, got home and actually discovered it was mine had I commited a crime?

If the interview erpulled out a gun and aimed it at me, thinking it was loaded but, in fact, was full of blanks and fired it at me with the intention to kill had he commited a crime?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle)
    Hey, I've been told that I will most likley be asked a logic question at my Law interview. I've practicised a few..problem is I'm not sure if I'm solving them correctly. So here's 2 examples if anyone wants to have a go.. just to see if you got the same as I did..

If I returned to the waiting room and my coat had been taken and I then took another one, got home and actually discovered it was mine had I commited a crime?

If the interview erpulled out a gun and aimed it at me, thinking it was loaded but, in fact, was full of blanks and fired it at me with the intention to kill had he commited a crime?
    1. Consciously yes, Technically No
    2. Consciously yes, Technically Yes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle)

1. No, no crime has being commited.

2. Yes, intention to kill, but criminal failure due to stupidty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle)
    ?

Errr, attempted murder, violent and threatening behaviour, unlawful use of a weapon....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by byb3)
    1. Consciously yes, Technically No
    2. Consciously yes, Technically Yes
    How did u know the pass for the mr hughes site BTW?

ReputationRep:
    those don't seem so much logic as knowledge of the law.

The second one is attempted murder, no?

But I dunno if there is such a thing as attempted theft, so, no, the first isn't one IMVHAIO..

What did you get?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llama boy)

But I dunno if there is such a thing as attempted theft, so, no, the first isn't one IMVHAIO..

What did you get?
    I got those out of a interview questions book...hmm.. confusing..

Are you sure there is no such thing as attempted theft!?.. I guess the first one is morrally wrong but not a crime. Got the same as everyone for the secound one..

ReputationRep:

What did you get?
    Well, I dont know what its lik in Britain, but over in scandinavia, I think you cantechnically be accused of atempted theft (Though Id doubt youd get a criminal record for that one... )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonatan)
    Well, I dont know what its lik in Britain, but over in scandinavia, I think you cantechnically be accused of atempted theft (Though Id doubt youd get a criminal record for that one... )
    You will never be able to persecute him. You are not a mind reader therefore u can't say he was intending to steal that coat which belonged to him. So no proof=no persecution

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    You will never be able to persecute him. You are not a mind reader therefore u can't say he was intending to steal that coat which belonged to him. So no proof=no persecution
    ...that makes sense.. nice one!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle)
    no probs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle)
    I got those out of a interview questions book...hmm.. confusing..

Are you sure there is no such thing as attempted theft!?.. I guess the first one is morrally wrong but not a crime. Got the same as everyone for the secound one..
    honestly don't know... i've just never heard of attempted theft, lol.

Morally, it is obviously different, I just assumed that lawyers would only be interested in the legal aspects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle)
    got any more ques? they are really interesting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    The question was not if he could be prosecuted, but if it was a crime. It is a crime, yet he will most likely "get away with it".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    so then how could you prove that the interviewer thought the gun was live?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonatan)
    The question was not if he could be prosecuted, but if it was a crime. It is a crime, yet he will most likely "get away with it".
    Yes but a crime=if can be prosecuted or not.

logical no?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Yes but a crime=if can be prosecuted or not.

logical no?
    no, a crime is when you break the law.

ReputationRep:
    Oh no!!.. now I'm confused again!..lol

ReputationRep:
    no, a crime is when you break the law.
    and when u break law=can be prosecuted

ReputationRep:
    Ok.. so I guess there are different answers depending on the definition of crime.. and of law (which lawyers can't decide on)..

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.