A logical question (!?) Watch

This discussion is closed.
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
How are morally unacceptable laws void. Just because your morals indicate something, it might clash with others morals. And what do you justify as morals and where do you draw the line. 'It is morally unacceptable for me to let my sister live because she bismirched the family honour' - honour killings?

COs (conscientous objecters) during WWI, it was dealt with well. Send them in anyway (jailing was bad) as medics. But where do their morals go, they patch up a bloke he goes out and kills another bloke.

It was more orders to kill the Jews, laws tend to prohibit things not to force people to do things.
actually there was cases reported where COs were fixed on a post and stuck in the no mans land. As u can imagine there were no more cases in that rigiment again
JSM
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
actually there was cases reported where COs were fixed on a post and stuck in the no mans land. As u can imagine there were no more cases in that rigiment again
now thats just nasty, but effective. Its also a good test of your morals, are you willing to lay down your life in belief of them. They obviously weren't.
Bo!Selecta
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
The thing is u need to be able to think outside the box, and see things like if there is other circumstances surrounding the death. I bet this is like a red herring for people who can't do imaginations.
the law questions are not meant to catch you out but to see if your mind works in the way expected of lawyers. it is not your place to speculate so much on the circumstances surrounding the questions but the points of law themselves.

for my interview - i was asked something like 'was the secretary of state reasonable to search, without a warrant, a person's house thought to be a terrorist threat' etc etc. the whole point of this was not the threat of terrorism, the criminal liability or anything like that. as acting judge, the most important things was how to define 'reasonable' - who is able to define this and what does it mean?

i was also asked at length about habeas corpus and what were my rights if my interviewer locked me in the room (which i thought was very bizarre)...
GH
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Bo!Selecta)

i was also asked at length about habeas corpus and what were my rights if my interviewer locked me in the room (which i thought was very bizarre)...
Go on what did u say?
Tobias
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Elle)
I got those out of a interview questions book...hmm.. confusing..

Are you sure there is no such thing as attempted theft!?.. I guess the first one is morrally wrong but not a crime. Got the same as everyone for the secound one..

Which interview book is that?
Bo!Selecta
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
Go on what did u say?
um - you know when you've been in a really surreal experience and you are never sure whether it happened or not???? that's what it felt like and to this day i try and repress the memory.

i think the point my interviewer was trying to make was that habeas corpus is a petition filed by a person who objects to their own/someone else's detention/imprisonment. i think i rattled on about Human Rights, jumping out the window and my family coming looking for me!! to be honest, as a roaring historian, he was a bit out of sorts with the subject and we went on to talk about court cases etc etc etc!

but, hopefully, i didn't get too flustered and gave my opinions - you are right though - they look for common sense and ability to express beliefs and opinions.
GH
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
um - you know when you've been in a really surreal experience and you are never sure whether it happened or not???? that's what it felt like and to this day i try and repress the memory.

i think the point my interviewer was trying to make was that habeas corpus is a petition filed by a person who objects to their own/someone else's detention/imprisonment. i think i rattled on about Human Rights, jumping out the window and my family coming looking for me!! to be honest, as a roaring historian, he was a bit out of sorts with the subject and we went on to talk about court cases etc etc etc!

but, hopefully, i didn't get too flustered and gave my opinions - you are right though - they look for common sense and ability to express beliefs and opinions.
interesting
Elle
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
(Original post by Tobias)
Which interview book is that?
I think it's Degrees 2003 (sorry i photocopied the page so I can't be sure) under the Law Degrees section there is a list of possible interview questions.
Elle
Rep:
?

Your very well informed Bo! Thanks for all your help
Just read up on the Hitler thing.. something to do with Natural Law and Positivism. It's pretty interesting
GH
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Elle)
I think it's Degrees 2003 (sorry i photocopied the page so I can't be sure) under the Law Degrees section there is a list of possible interview questions.
common elle, more questions

*pants in anticapation
Elle
Rep:
?
(Original post by 2776)
common elle, more questions

*pants in anticapation
Lol!! Seriously.. you should consider Law or Jurisprudence!! You have the enthusiasm so you'll half way there

The only ones I can find are pretty similar to the ones we discussed before. Like this one:
X tries to kill A but murders B, her twin sister -- Murder?"

If anyone has any other feel free to contribute!
figgetyfig
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
OK, here's a very generalised question which was asked at the mock interview st catharines did on open day...

"do lawyers have to be good actors?"
GH
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Elle)
Lol!! Seriously.. you should consider Law or Jurisprudence!! You have the enthusiasm so you'll half way there

The only ones I can find are pretty similar to the ones we discussed before. Like this one:

If anyone has any other feel free to contribute!
The ALP hath judged and a verdict of murder has been agreed.
Elle
Rep:
?
(Original post by figgetyfig)
OK, here's a very generalised question which was asked at the mock interview st catharines did on open day...

"do lawyers have to be good actors?"
Ooo.. what was your reponse?

I would say no as they are not "acting".. they have to base their arguments on facts. Although they do need good communication skills.
Bo!Selecta
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Elle)

yup - transferred malice/correspondence principle applies. regardless of victim, actus reus and mens rea present so still murder...
GH
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Elle)

I would say no as they are not "acting".. they have to base their arguments on facts. Although they do need good communication skills.
They need to be proficient at conviencing the jury of their case. Nuff said
figgetyfig
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Elle)

Well I was just watching, I'm not a law student (I'm applying for engineering, the mock interview was aimed at the open day guests in general, they interviewed a postgrad.) But the girl from my school who is applying for law wasnt sure how to answer.

I suppose you have to suspend disbelief. You have to convince YOURSELF that what you are standing for is the truth, if you are to stand any chance of convincing the rest of the courtroom. whether it actually is or not.
Elle
Rep:
?
(Original post by figgetyfig)
Well I was just watching, I'm not a law student (I'm applying for engineering, the mock interview was aimed at the open day guests in general, they interviewed a postgrad.) But the girl from my school who is applying for law wasnt sure how to answer.

I suppose you have to suspend disbelief. You have to convince YOURSELF that what you are standing for is the truth, if you are to stand any chance of convincing the rest of the courtroom. whether it actually is or not.
Good point.. that's the part of Law I don't like..
emom100
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
thats the aspect that ultimately put me off law, for instance i could never stand up in court and defend ian huntly
Bo!Selecta
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by emom100)
thats the aspect that ultimately put me off law, for instance i could never stand up in court and defend ian huntly
ew, no way! and getting people like that off on technicalities (like the appropriateness of a judge's summary, directing the jury too much/not enough or whatever) makes me cringe.

i can't understand people who do it - surely it can't be just for the money - they must convince themselves that what they are doing is right. i also can't stand these people who campaign for the rights of paedophiles or murderers or rapists when the rights of the victims are so neglected.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (192)
27.79%
No (499)
72.21%

Watched Threads