Turn on thread page Beta

A logical question (!?) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle)
    Hey, I've been told that I will most likley be asked a logic question at my Law interview. I've practicised a few..problem is I'm not sure if I'm solving them correctly. So here's 2 examples if anyone wants to have a go.. just to see if you got the same as I did..

If I returned to the waiting room and my coat had been taken and I then took another one, got home and actually discovered it was mine had I commited a crime?

If the interview erpulled out a gun and aimed it at me, thinking it was loaded but, in fact, was full of blanks and fired it at me with the intention to kill had he commited a crime?

1) No you did not commit a crime, since the closest crime to that would be theft. However, when you "took" the coat, there was no intent to permanently deprive the other owner his coat dishonestly. It was a pure case of mistaken identity. However, if upon returning home and you found your coat but still decided to keep the coat, then you are commiting a crime of theft.

2) Yes, he has committed a crime, since it was his "intention" to kill (mens rea) when pulled out the gun and pulled the trigger (actus rea). However because you survived the "ordeal" he would be charged with attempted murder instead of murder, where you would have to die to fulfill that.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I just taking a shot at this

Mul

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle)
    Hey, I've been told that I will most likley be asked a logic question at my Law interview. I've practicised a few..problem is I'm not sure if I'm solving them correctly. So here's 2 examples if anyone wants to have a go.. just to see if you got the same as I did..

If I returned to the waiting room and my coat had been taken and I then took another one, got home and actually discovered it was mine had I commited a crime?

If the interview erpulled out a gun and aimed it at me, thinking it was loaded but, in fact, was full of blanks and fired it at me with the intention to kill had he commited a crime?
    1st one. Techinically you have commited a crime. You took the coat in the belief that it wasn't yours. Thats like taking $5 off my desk that I was going to give you anway. So even if it was your coat, you thought you were taking someone elses, and with todays laws you'd be likely to spend a few close nights with Bill at the palace if someone decided to put you up on charges.

2nd one. Easy. Conspiracy to commit murder, failure to do so owing to utter stupidity. So you couldn't charge them with much more than intent. Yet if they wanted you dead bad enough, I'd be ducking the first few chair swings if I were you.

ReputationRep:
    Just want to say thanks to everyone who helped me out on this.. had suprisingly similar questions to a few I posted at my interview!! So THANKYOU!! x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle)
    Just want to say thanks to everyone who helped me out on this.. had suprisingly similar questions to a few I posted at my interview!! So THANKYOU!! x
    How did interview go?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle)
    How did everyone else find the test? Was the general feeling that it was hard or what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    How did interview go?
    Not great! They really grilled me..
    The test wasn't too bad though.. the first part was mostly general knowledge and your ability to argue a case, the 2nd part was logic questions. People thought it was easier than they had expected.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle)
    Not great! They really grilled me..
    The test wasn't too bad though.. the first part was mostly general knowledge and your ability to argue a case, the secound part was logic questions.
    Go on elaborate...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Go on elaborate...
    On what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle)
    On what?
    on the interview...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    on the interview...
    Oh well I had two- the first one was general and the secound academic. In the 2nd one the fellow asked me moral questions and I had to argue my point of view.. she didn't seem to be too impressed with me views though!

Have you got any interviews coming up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle)
    Oh well I had two- the first one was general and the secound academic. In the 2nd one the fellow asked me moral questions and I had to argue my point of view.. she didn't seem to be too impressed with me views though!

Have you got any interviews coming up?
    um in medicine. But dont know yet. Apparently they ask you really hard questions in science, and you have to think on the sopt. Sounds quite hard.

So anyway what were the questions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    um in medicine. But dont know yet. Apparently they ask you really hard questions in science, and you have to think on the sopt. Sounds quite hard.

So anyway what were the questions?
    I'll post them on here later.. because there are still Law interviews going on and the current students say that they use the same test.

They weren't too hard though.. there was one very similar to the stealing coat scenerio.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle)
    I'll post them on here later.. because there are still Law interviews going on and the current students say that they use the same test.

They weren't too hard though.. there was one very similar to the stealing coat scenerio.
    lol, used any of my arguments? Were they impressed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    lol, used any of my arguments? Were they impressed?
    Well I did say that it would be hard to prove (thanks for all your help by the way!).. she looked quite indifferent to what I said so I can't really tell

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle)
    Well I did say that it would be hard to prove (thanks for all your help by the way!).. she looked quite indifferent to what I said so I can't really tell
    lol, thats one of their favourite tactics. They try to freak you out. I know some guy come into a room to find the 3 interviewers lying on the ground. What would you do in thast situation? Also I know another person who was asked a constant flow of questions by 3 of them all at once. What would you do? And another person who was told they ahd been rejected on teh spot by the interviewer. What would you do inn those situation? I'll tell you what my mates did after you tell me what you would do in those situation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    lol, thats one of their favourite tactics. They try to freak you out. I know some guy come into a room to find the 3 interviewers lying on the ground. What would you do in thast situation? Also I know another person who was asked a constant flow of questions by 3 of them all at once. What would you do? And another person who was told they ahd been rejected on teh spot by the interviewer. What would you do inn those situation? I'll tell you what my mates did after you tell me what you would do in those situation.
    1) I'd ask if I was in the right room and if they said "yes" then I would ask why they were on the floor.
    2) I'd say that they would have to give me a chance to answer each question seperatley.
    3) If that was against there policy- I'd say so.. If not then I'd probably ask why and try and challenge that.. or I'd just walk out

Did that really happen to your mate? What did he/she do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle)
    1) I'd ask if I was in the right room and if they said "yes" then I would ask why they were on the floor.
    2) I'd say that they would have to give me a chance to answer each question seperatley.
    3) If that was against there policy- I'd say so.. If not then I'd probably ask why and try and challenge that.. or I'd just walk out

Did that really happen to your mate? What did he/she do?
    Yes all ahappened to my mates, funny what they did, just make sure you dont get caught out:

1) He lay on the floor as well with the interviewers, in between them actually.
    2)Yes, thats what he did as well.
    3) He challenged the decision, by saying, can you tell me what was wrong etc and how I can improve...etc

3) your decision to walk out was the fail point. Lawyers need to deal with dissapointments etc Remember noone can say whether to fail you or not on the spot. Its a test.

1) He actually got the place! Its something to do with coping in novel situations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Yes all ahappened to my mates, funny what they did, just make sure you dont get caught out:

1) He lay on the floor as well with the interviewers, in between them actually.
    2)Yes, thats what he did as well.
    3) He challenged the decision, by saying, can you tell me what was wrong etc and how I can improve...etc

3) your decision to walk out was the fail point. Lawyers need to deal with dissapointments etc Remember noone can say whether to fail you or not on the spot. Its a test.

1) He actually got the place! Its something to do with coping in novel situations.
    Wow.. my interviewers now seem really tame compared to that! lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle)
    Wow.. my interviewers now seem really tame compared to that! lol
    Yes, well obiviously different places do different things. And I think they did it because my mates wrote something like "i can cope in novel situations etc " so they basicalyy wanted to test him and see if he can cope.

Dont worry I'm sure you did well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Yes, well obiviously different places do different things. And I think they did it because my mates wrote something like "i can cope in novel situations etc " so they basicalyy wanted to test him and see if he can cope.

Dont worry I'm sure you did well.
    Lol. Thanks for your support.. I'll guess I'll find out in 3 weeks :eek:

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.