hi,
few days left til skl starts -_-
I'm starting my gcse year lol
and I've chosen Graphics//

is anyone doing it >? or did?

what is it like ??
what do you do in class??
lots of drawing - designing?

i know it will depend on the school, but on the whole, what's graphics lessons like ??[/
B]

I did it, along with Textiles, which also had the same teacher. Both were like a free period in which you chatted, 'made' your project and when the exam came around we realised we'd done no learning.

Failed it surprisingly :biggrin:

But not saying yours will be like that- just a new teacher who couldn't teach the class.
Reply 2
Have you not done any of it in your first three years of secondary school?

Anyway, I did graphics for GCSE (AQA) and in our school we either had to design a clock or a board game (I chose the game). This was for the coursework and most of the lessons were focussed on that because you kind of learn the theory stuff whilst doing the coursework. We had to produce a big portfolio thing with research on board games and whatever theme you chose, rough design ideas, progressing onto final drawings of what the game will be like and how you're going to make it. You then make it and record what you did and take photo's etc. My folder was really quite big, there's actually a lot to keep record of and design (In my case it was the game and the box it came in). We used graphics computer programs for the graphics on the box and on the games/ clocks, but you will need a bit of practical skills as well to actually make your product.

On the theory side, we looked at mass production, the effects of different colours, company logos (designing a logo was a big part of the exam - we were given a theme a few weeks before to research images and do a few vague designs, then given what we actually had to design in the exam), and of course, technical drawing. There is obviously more but I did the GCSE a whole year ago now :P:

Though of course this could all be very different to your school and exam board.
Reply 3
basically its a subject which requires a lot of work and effort if you want a good grade, its mostly coursework and it helps if you are good at art :smile:
Reply 4
I took it at GCSE and loved it! To be honest the first few weeks were quite boring as we just looked at theory stuff and how to draw cubes etc technically. Although obviosuly it helps to be arty its not essential as im not the greatest person at art and I managed to get an A!

Then for our coursework we had to do a corporate identity for a shop (ie, letterhead, business card, logo etc) and then two 3D objects - I did a shoebox and a bag. If your creative its great fun and alot of it is done on the computer, although you do need to be prepared for quite alot of work - my course was 60% coursework.

Also our lessons were very realxed so it was great for chatting to my friends etc! :smile:
Reply 5
DONT DO IT.
Reply 6
roshi
DONT DO IT.

Why not? Did you have a bad experience at your school? I did it and thought it was great!
Reply 7
Honestly? It's like.. the worst ever.
Reply 8
i did it at GCSE i came out with a C in the exam which to be fair for someone rubbish at drawing like me wasnt bad, our lessons were fun as we had a good teacher however our school put little effort into the exam stuff so when the exam came we all were confused cause it was really hard but you put the right amount of work in and you can come out with a deacent grade in it.
Reply 9
I chose Graphics for GCSE.. and I didn't love it. Some things were fun, but other times I found the lessons boring and a waste of time - especially when it came to coursework. But, I did have a crappy teacher, so that probably affected it.

In the first year, we barely practised any skills. We were given a couple of projects here and there, but we never got to finish them and they were never marked. We started our coursework in February/March of the first year, and completed that around Decemeber of the second year. Then for the rest of the second year you just start learning what you need for the exam.
Reply 10
oh god...bad memories......still remember when everyone in our class was rushing to finish the product...we practically stayed everyday after school till evening trying to finish the project. we did edexcel, by the way.
i got a B with minimal effort. no, you don't have to be able to draw.. i can't draw at all! you've just got to be able to get your "ideas" across. i'm not arty and creative at all and i found it pretty easy really.. bit annoying when it comes to your coursework project but as long as you keep on top of the work it's fine.
I got my A* in Graphics, but it meant having to put a lot of work in. The folder work was pretty terrible, especially if you handdraw it, I had to do about 60 sheets in total. Sometimes I just wanted the coursework to end, it took so many sessions after school to finish to the right standard, and its awful when you're told you have to redo things that have taken you hours to do previously, and it did distract me from doing other work when it came close to my GCSE exams; where I should have been doing science revision but got stuck sticking endless pictures and writing about them for sheets. The good thing is about graphics, is that it is relatively easy if you listen and make sure you actually do your work in every lesson, rather than mess about, you'll have more time at home to do other things. Also, we spent little time doing theory work, though I found the exam pretty easy, the exam is the thing that bumped most of the students in my class' grade up :smile:
Reply 13
Navi_Fairy
I got my A* in Graphics, but it meant having to put a lot of work in. The folder work was pretty terrible, especially if you handdraw it, I had to do about 60 sheets in total. Sometimes I just wanted the coursework to end, it took so many sessions after school to finish to the right standard, and its awful when you're told you have to redo things that have taken you hours to do previously, and it did distract me from doing other work when it came close to my GCSE exams; where I should have been doing science revision but got stuck sticking endless pictures and writing about them for sheets. The good thing is about graphics, is that it is relatively easy if you listen and make sure you actually do your work in every lesson, rather than mess about, you'll have more time at home to do other things. Also, we spent little time doing theory work, though I found the exam pretty easy, the exam is the thing that bumped most of the students in my class' grade up :smile:

Reply 14
graphics is rubbish save yourself
Thank you, very helpful:smile:
its **** asf im doin it rn n i have bare **** 2 do leik fak ur nan whu da*** is asked 2 du dat shite leik im rn doin logo development n it suqs ass senior teachers r demanding our asses 2 du baare shite leik i have baare odder subs 2 du calm da*** dan ye dodgy wancas
Personally, i love it. I’m in year 11. In my school, it’s mainly computer based, but that will probably vary. We do stuff like artist research pages and creating digital art, then we print it off and it all goes into a folder. There’s also lot of writing/analysing stuff, it’s kinda a lot of effort so if you’re not willing to put in the time then it might not be worth it. My teacher lowkey sucks but i still love the subject. Good luck :smile:

Latest