Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have already sent my application , over two months ago, so it doesnt really matter, but I wondered if there is really that much of a deal in which way you write your personal statement. Of course, I do not say it is not important, but considdering that you apply for 6 different collages, are they not going to have different opinions regarding what kind of personal statement they considder a "good" one? Also, I wounder how much they can afford to make a descission based upon the personal statement, specially when it comes to subjects such as Maths or Physics. After all, I bet Richard Feynman would write a slightly "unconventional" one...

ReputationRep:
    You're just saying this because you PS sucked. Mine on the other hand, was good. Then again, who's the rejected one of the two of us? (rhetorical question, don't answer).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Linda)
    You're just saying this because you PS sucked. Mine on the other hand, was good. Then again, who's the rejected one of the two of us? (rhetorical question, don't answer).
    I sense some anger there Linda lol

ReputationRep:
    jonatan, what's with the new sig everyday?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Linda)
    Well, your offer for durham was way better than my offer for Bath. This may of course be due to the fact that we applied for completely different courses, but whatever....

Personally, If I was a tutor, I would know that talented physics students would write personal statements similar to mine (No Im not bragging at all here, no no...). I guess it all boils down to the fact that different people have different opinions, so just go write it so that you think it is good, and then thsoe tutors which agree with you are gonna give you a good offer...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NikNak)
    I sense some anger there Linda lol
    LOL, not really. It's just that he insists that his PS was good, which it wasn't. I told him. Other people told him. But it probably doesn't matter that much for physics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Linda)
    LOL, not really. It's just that he insists that his PS was good, which it wasn't. I told him. Other people told him. But it probably doesn't matter that much for physics.
    Just for the record: Haakon said it was good at first, then when you were telling me how bad it was he said it was terrible (remember ? ). Quite honestly I dont care that much, I thought it was good, and I sent it. If some tutor thinks its bad, then screw him/her, Ive got plenty of offers anyways....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by icy)
    jonatan, what's with the new sig everyday?
    Why ? Does it bother you ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonatan)
    Just for the record: Haakon said it was good at first, then when you were telling me how bad it was he said it was terrible (remember ? ). Quite honestly I dont care that much, I thought it was good, and I sent it. If some tutor thinks its bad, then screw him/her, Ive got plenty of offers anyways....
    Haakon thought it was of poor quality all along, he just didn't want to say anything...(Oki, I admit this doesn't sound much like Haakon, but still, why would he change his mind?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonatan)
    Why ? Does it bother you ?
    just curious
    but yeah, it's annoying. it's too large

ReputationRep:
    Jonatan, your personal statement was not good. It definetly didn't contain the things a tutor would look for. It could easily have been worse, like if you hadn't changed that sentence that didn't make sense at all, but it could also have been a lot better. The offers you got just prove that universities aren't that conserned about your ps. They probably use it mainly if they have 2 candidates with similar abilities applying for one space. But you might have received easier offers if your ps had been better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haakon)
    Jonatan, your personal statement was not good. It definetly didn't contain the things a tutor would look for. It could easily have been worse, like if you hadn't changed that sentence that didn't make sense at all, but it could also have been a lot better. The offers you got just prove that universities aren't that conserned about your ps. They probably use it mainly if they have 2 candidates with similar abilities applying for one space. But you might have received easier offers if your ps had been better.
    welcome to the site

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haakon)
    Riiiight, and you are such an expert all suddenly... Look, I wrote it in order to give them an impression of how I am. If it sucked, then so be it. My predicted grades were good, and I had a good reference from a physics teatcher. The only Collage where it would really matter is cambridge , and they have interviews anyways...

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.