The Student Room Group

A Reading List for English Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
evantej
That is a fair point, but it was not the only reason. I feel most students of literature exist inside a vacuum of ignorance, where European literature, and most literary theory is allowed to go unnoticed.

Why advocate Chaucer instead of Boccaccio, when the former used the latter's ideas and work heavily? There are lots more examples, and of course it works both ways, especially when work becomes more contemporary.

Because Chaucer is an English writer, so within a course that focuses on English literature, it's only natural to read Boccaccio only before the background of what Chaucer made of Il Filostrato, or whatever. I do believe it's important to read both, of course, but I don't think there's anything wrong with letting Chaucer take precedence unless you're actually doing a course in comparative literature / European literature.
Reply 121
hobnob
Hmm, Goethe isn't a Romantic, actually - well, to be fair, he dabbled in just about anything and he lived to be quite old, so he probably did have a Romantic(ish) phase at some point, but Faust definitely wouldn't representative of that...
Oh, and part of me twitches at seeing all of the English Renaissance reduced to just Hamlet, but I suppose that sort of reaction was intended.:p:

The irony is I just realised I forgot Milton; in which case I would probably remove Shakespeare for him! :p:

I tried to place them historically rather than by any particular artistic movement so I do admit there are significant issues with two or three of the categories, but it is the price I pay for only having four choices!

Personally, I do not rate the English Renaissance too highly (I believe I had Marlowe's Doctor Faustus and Spenser's The Faerie Queene listed before removing them from the final four), and I tried my best to remain objective - I did not include Middleton and Rowley's The Changeling, which I positively love! Also, I would personally not pigeon-hole Kafka to one novella either. It is quite easy to get through his entire works in a few days. The inclusion of Dostoevsky, James and Kipling instead of say Dickins, Tolstoy or any number other Victorians (Bronte, Conrad, Eliot, Hardy or Stevenson...) is also questionable.

The only categories which I think I did well were classics and theory. :o:
Reply 122
evantej
The irony is I just realised I forgot Milton; in which case I would probably remove Shakespeare for him! :p:

I tried to place them historically rather than by any particular artistic movement so I do admit there are significant issues with two or three of the categories, but it is the price I pay for only having four choices!

Personally, I do not rate the English Renaissance too highly (I believe I had Marlowe's Doctor Faustus and Spenser's The Faerie Queene listed before removing them from the final four), and I tried my best to remain objective - I did not include Middleton and Rowley's The Changeling, which I positively love! Also, I would personally not pigeon-hole Kafka to one novella either. It is quite easy to get through his entire works in a few days. The inclusion of Dostoevsky, James and Kipling instead of say Dickins, Tolstoy or any number other Victorians (Bronte, Conrad, Eliot, Hardy or Stevenson...) is also questionable.

The only categories which I think I did well were classics and theory. :o:

I suppose so - I just immediately swooped down on the stuff I knew a bit about.:p:
You could probably add a few texts to the classics category, though, like Ovid's Metamorphoses or Seneca's Thyestes, which are probably more directly useful for English students to have read than the Gilgamesh epic (unless I'm very wrong and it did have a major influence on English writers).
Reply 123
evantej
Why advocate Chaucer instead of Boccaccio, when the former used the latter's ideas and work heavily? There are lots more examples, and of course it works both ways, especially when work becomes more contemporary.

hobnob answered this for me.

It's certainly an interesting discussion, anyway.
Reply 124
35mm_
So do I, for some reason. I think if you truly did love 1984, and have some form of critical analysis for it, you should put it in, and not refrain from doing so just because you'll seem "predictable".

If you truly loved "1984", you would probably refer to it by its true title "Nineteen Eighty Four".
Reply 125
Superbad
If you truly loved "1984", you would probably refer to it by its true title "Nineteen Eighty Four".

Well, if we're going to play the pedantry game: actually the book's title is Nineteen Eighty-Four, with a hyphen.
Reply 126
Superbad

What an excellent first post.
Im looking for poems/ poem writers who wrote a lot about sociological aspects, such as gender, race torubles, war, class divide

anyone got any ideas?
more or less every poet.
Gender = feminist poets. Male dominance can be tracked in poetry all through time.
Race = again, through time. Class from Chaucer onwards. War: every poet more or less.

Just take a poet and read!
Reply 129
gunners r us
Im looking for poems/ poem writers who wrote a lot about sociological aspects, such as gender, race torubles, war, class divide

anyone got any ideas?

Those themes are huge. You could pick at random from almost any major C20th poet and find something relevant.
Reply 130
Here are some excellent American reads:

Kate Chopin's The Awakening
Zora Neale Hurston's Their Eyes Were Watching God (Excellent Harlem Renaissance writer)
Wallace Stevens' Collected Poems and Adagia
Emerald
Blah.

Calling your attention to this thread as I was talking to you about it.

(It's excellent btw, MSB.)
Reply 132
MSB
Prospective applicants often ask on here for recommendations of what books they should be reading. I have produced this list, with the help of some others (most notably hobnob), to hopefully answer this more thoroughly than other replies such questions are likely to receive, or have received hitherto. Whilst I've done my best to give a good coverage of important periods and movements, the list is not to be looked at as prescriptive, but rather a list of suggestions. It certainly isn't perfect.

One may, for instance, point out that there is a sixty year gulf between the most recent text on the list and the present day, in which much important literature has been produced, but I would reply that there is a six hundred year gap between the first and second items on the list, with other similar gaps elsewhere, and so any neglect of the latter half of the twentieth century does not seem quite so terrible after all. (Furthermore, most applicants tend to be rather well versed on the period, mainly by virtue of having lived in it.)

Hey OP are there any recommended reading lists going around for English language applicants??!!! :woo:

the TSR english language applicants community is indeed a minority!
Reply 133
Even though I am supposedly doing it, I have no idea about English Language.
Reply 134
MSB
Even though I am supposedly doing it, I have no idea about English Language.

are you doing it for your degree???!

if so what books did you talk about in your PS?
He's doing Lit and Lang at Oxford, where Language is sort of a token in the title!
Reply 136
artcrazy
Hey OP are there any recommended reading lists going around for English language applicants??!!! :woo:

the TSR english language applicants community is indeed a minority!

I would look at a linguistics reading list and see how it might fit with the course offering at your uni. Cambridge provides this reading list:
http://www.mml.cam.ac.uk/ling/courses/pgrad/rlmphil.html.

In my college course I took the following courses as part of my English, BA:
English Grammar: Understanding English Grammar by Kolln
Phonetics & Phonology: English Phonetics & Phonology: An Intro by CARR
Aspects of the English Language: Language: Its Structure & Use by Finegan
Sociolinguistics: Intro to Sociolinguistics by Wardhaugh

Of course, you can read the works of Saussure, Chomsky, Labov, Bernstein, as well as others.

Hope this helps.
Reply 137
k1tsun3
I would look at a linguistics reading list and see how it might fit with the course offering at your uni. Cambridge provides this reading list:
http://www.mml.cam.ac.uk/ling/courses/pgrad/rlmphil.html.

In my college course I took the following courses as part of my English, BA:
English Grammar: Understanding English Grammar by Kolln
Phonetics & Phonology: English Phonetics & Phonology: An Intro by CARR
Aspects of the English Language: Language: Its Structure & Use by Finegan
Sociolinguistics: Intro to Sociolinguistics by Wardhaugh

Of course, you can read the works of Saussure, Chomsky, Labov, Bernstein, as well as others.

Hope this helps.

hey thank you soo much! i actually purchased 'chomsky for beginners' yesterday! and he was also in london this week! i think all the other books ive seen are very hardcore in terms of content and i didn't understand it at all!:woo: :eek3: but david crystals 'rediscover grammar' has been quite acessible!:yes:
Reply 138
Six thousand views is quite exciting.
Whoa, that is immense. Congrats!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending