Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I really want to apply for English at Cambridge but I'ts so competitive i'm really not sure if there is any point in trying. I mean, I'm pretty sure I can pull of the grades and I've done a lot of extra curricular stuff but I don't know what is expected of such a competetive course. Has anybody had an interview their yet for English/ or know anything about what they ask you at Interview. I'm just not sure if i've read enough and know as many authors as I should, I've still got till next Autumn to apply but im totally confused as to what I should do. Any help pleeeeeeease would be so incredibly gratefuly appreciated

ReputationRep:
    go for it. just remember that 3 out of 4 cambridge applicants get rejected, so make sure you pick some other unis that you'd be really happy going to. and if you DO get in to cambridge, that's great, but if you don't, at least you tried.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kalandraka)
    I really want to apply for English at Cambridge but I'ts so competitive i'm really not sure if there is any point in trying. I mean, I'm pretty sure I can pull of the grades and I've done a lot of extra curricular stuff but I don't know what is expected of such a competetive course. Has anybody had an interview their yet for English/ or know anything about what they ask you at Interview. I'm just not sure if i've read enough and know as many authors as I should, I've still got till next Autumn to apply but im totally confused as to what I should do. Any help pleeeeeeease would be so incredibly gratefuly appreciated
    English. Something I struggle with. Can anyone tell me (no offence intended) - what is the point of studying English?

ReputationRep:
    I thought the deadline was october 15th... Are you applying for this year or next year ?

I applied for natural sciences (Physics)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonatan)

I applied for natural sciences (Physics)
    Good man.

ReputationRep:
    I'm apllying for next year. I guess then point of english is that it is fundementally about communication of one person to another, how emotions feeling and life is portaryed and shared between others. Although science can help society and such, int he same way, without literature what would inspire us and develop us and enable us to concieve new ideas and reach a higher state of understanding? The study of english is to study all that there is in life and to ask questions and pose answers to them, to encourage one another and fuel ourselves even more in order to procure feeling and a sense of being.

This may seem meaningless and a fruitless pursuit at first, but the pleasure to learn and explore, to discover and assimilate the works of others is one of the most satisfying and amazing things you can feel. If life then is not about this pleasure and this celebration of the human mind, then what is it about?

English may seem like a hopeless concept to some, but for what its worth, it's purely and simply lovely (once you get past its complexities that is!)lol.

ReputationRep:
    sorry about my spelling sometimes! whoops! its my keyboard....honest...

ReputationRep:
    Damn you and your good english that enables you to argue so well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toffee)
    Damn you and your good english that enables you to argue so well.
    Lol. well it does have its advantages when writing essays. Or Ess-YAYs as i lovingly call them. (ignore me, im strange lol)

ReputationRep:
    Lol. well it does have its advantages when writing essays. Or Ess-YAYs as i lovingly call them. (ignore me, im strange lol)
    Ess-YAYs. Cool.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.