The Student Room Group
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen

Scroll to see replies

It's kinda cold in winter... I typically wore 7 layers to walk to uni! We got about 3 weeks of solid snow cos it didn't get warm enough to melt it before teh next lot arrived! That was around February...
However, we get very little rain!!! And it's not that windy, so from early Spring it's pretty reasonable :biggrin: Summer is lovely - one year it was warmer in Deen that in the Meditteranean (sp?) and it's frequently warmer than London. Plenty of opportunities to use the beach, bikini-style :tongue:
And we get (nearly) the most hours of sunshine in the UK! In the summer it barely gets dark - I've walked home at 3am in near daylight before.

Clothes wise, I'd pack plenty of hoodies and a decent winter coat, plus hat & gloves. And some decent shoes that can cope with snow.
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen
Becca-Sarah
However, we get very little rain!!! And it's not that windy,

I'd have to disagree with you on that one, I'd agree that this year has been a little strange weather wise, but I've lived here for 21 years and I'd say that it's the wind here that makes it so cold because of the sea, so on the news it'll say 2 degrees but because of the wind chill it'll feel like -5.

And as for rain, well this summer has been like living in a rain forrest, yeah it was warm for about a whole month but the rained a lot, we don't flood or aything but it's always drizzly and wet.

I say bring warm clothes, it's not likely to heat up again properly until spring now, save some space in your suitcases for extra jumpers and a brolly :smile: You might get the odd hour of warmth but it's all down hill from here I'm afraid.

I don't want to put you off, this summer has been lovely but you have to come prepared in Aberdeen, we can have all 4 seasons in one day and it seems that our weather is becoming more like places like new york where they have extremes, really hot summers and really cold winters and you'll be coming up just in time for winter.
Heather_Duncan
I'd have to disagree with you on that one, I'd agree that this year has been a little strange weather wise, but I've lived here for 21 years and I'd say that it's the wind here that makes it so cold because of the sea, so on the news it'll say 2 degrees but because of the wind chill it'll feel like -5.

Fair enough, I've only been there for the abnormal weather year :smile:
It's not as cold as everyone makes it out to be.
smellslikemarmite
It's not as cold as everyone makes it out to be.

No but it definately rains a fair bit and it can be pretty windy, and when it's windy and raining at the same time (which is quite often the case) it's pretty miserable. Whether it's hot or not in my opinion depends on whether it's windy or not at this time of year.

I think because I lived out in the country, on a hill for 10 years I got the snow worse, I remember not being able to open the front door for snow and having to melt snow on the range for water when the pipes froze, I suppose in the city it's not quite as bad and doesn't feel so cold because you'll have central heating and things to come home to.
Reply 6
Heather_Duncan
No but it definitely rains a fair bit and it can be pretty windy, and when it's windy and raining at the same time (which is quite often the case) it's pretty miserable. Whether it's hot or not in my opinion depends on whether it's windy or not at this time of year.

I think because I lived out in the country, on a hill for 10 years I got the snow worse, I remember not being able to open the front door for snow and having to melt snow on the range for water when the pipes froze, I suppose in the city it's not quite as bad and doesn't feel so cold because you'll have central heating and things to come home to.

It's not cold at all for me... I have lived in my house for 14 months now and the central heating has never been on. It's never cold enough!

During the day it rarely drops below freezing. I never wear jackets really cos I find it too warm for them most of the time! But saying that... ask anyone who knows me. I am a freak of nature and always really warm :p:
Take a water-proof! If the rain there is anything like it is here at the minute you'll need it!!!
Keeno89
It's not cold at all for me... I have lived in my house for 14 months now and the central heating has never been on. It's never cold enough!

During the day it rarely drops below freezing. I never wear jackets really cos I find it too warm for them most of the time! But saying that... ask anyone who knows me. I am a freak of nature and always really warm :p:

I have lived in the town now for 2 years and I thought that it was just warmer in the city because I have central heating and double glazing and a properly insulated house but it's possible that it's just been getting warmer, living out the road was unbearable, I challenge you to feel warm in february in the middle of nowhere with no central heating or double glazing hehe!

Again, you're right, it only drops below zero around February but the wind makes it feel much colder, I suppose because I've been here all my life I only remember what I've had most of if that makes sense?
Does it snow during december?
PrincessAriadne
Does it snow during december?

Not too much, actually. Look to February for the snow, it's a mix of rain and good solid sunshine in December. It's odd.
Entangled
Not too much, actually. Look to February for the snow, it's a mix of rain and good solid sunshine in December. It's odd.

oh :frown: I always imagined it would be white christmas up in Scotland. Is tit cold during december?
Reply 12
Heather_Duncan
I have lived in the town now for 2 years and I thought that it was just warmer in the city because I have central heating and double glazing and a properly insulated house but it's possible that it's just been getting warmer, living out the road was unbearable, I challenge you to feel warm in february in the middle of nowhere with no central heating or double glazing hehe!

Again, you're right, it only drops below zero around February but the wind makes it feel much colder, I suppose because I've been here all my life I only remember what I've had most of if that makes sense?

Yeah you're probably right. If you live in a hill or unsheltered place the weather will be worse. More rain/wind etc.

We don't have double glazing either. The only time I get cold in my house is cos I leave my window open during the night so can be chilly when I wake up... but frankly I like that!

Again the wind chill can make it cold. but I prefer being cold to being warm. So I may be totally biased here!
PrincessAriadne
Is tit cold during december?

Perhaps. I wouldn't know.

But on a serious note, it tends to be cold. Flips between rain and bone dry though - it tends to be more frosty than snowy in December.
:eek3: Am so excited about starting Uni!!
PrincessAriadne
Am so excited about starting Uni!!

not the only one!!! what you studying??
Laura_f_1990
not the only one!!! what you studying??

history - you?
PrincessAriadne
history - you?

genetics =]
Laura_f_1990
genetics =]

what other two subjects d'you think you'll pick?
cold and wet i bet