The Student Room Group

Oxford Music Students and Applicants

For all you budding musos (and current musos. I know some of you are out there, lurking in the shadows :ninja: ) who are in Years 11, 12 or 13 and want to find out more about Oxford's Music course!

Please refer to the following for information about the course at Oxford:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Music_at_Oxford_University

http://www.music.ox.ac.uk/

http://www.music.ox.ac.uk/admissions/admissions_main.html

http://www.music.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergradstudies/admissions-criteria.html

http://www.music.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergradstudies/undergrad-faqs.html

Feel free to ask any questions that aren't answered in the above on this thread!

:musicus:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Great thread, good idea! :smile:
Lol, I was expecting this to be a question and was going to refer the OP to you...then it was you!! :biggrin:
:biggrin:

We never used to have a courses forum but now we do, so I thought we needed our own thread :yeah:
Reply 4
The_Lonely_Goatherd
:biggrin:

We never used to have a courses forum but now we do, so I thought we needed our own thread :yeah:

It's looking a bit quiet around here, TLG... so I thought I'd pop in and offer a random factoid...

Balliol secretly takes musos, if they're applying to be the organ scholar...

Who knew!?
cpchem
It's looking a bit quiet around here, TLG... so I thought I'd pop in and offer a random factoid...

Balliol secretly takes musos, if they're applying to be the organ scholar...

Who knew!?

Really?! Is this a new thing?! Or just one of the best kept secrets in Oxford? :eek:
Reply 6
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Really?! Is this a new thing?! Or just one of the best kept secrets in Oxford? :eek:

I was chatting to our admissions sec the other day, and it came up (as he was sorting out the organ scholar auditions/interviews for this week) - we've not had a muso since we stopped regularly taking them, but apparently one has applied this year!
cpchem
I was chatting to our admissions sec the other day, and it came up (as he was sorting out the organ scholar auditions/interviews for this week) - we've not had a muso since we stopped regularly taking them, but apparently one has applied this year!

There's no Balliol Music tutor though! :eek3:
Reply 8
The list would disagree...
cpchem
The list would disagree...

He was never doing Balliol before. The Faculty must be shifting people round a bit :ninja:
Reply 10
The_Lonely_Goatherd
He was never doing Balliol before. The Faculty must be shifting people round a bit :ninja:

Well, given that we've not actually had a muso for years, he's probably just on the list as a theoretical tutor as much as anything.
Reply 11
Hi I am applying for undergrad music 2010. I want to choose either st johns or st annes. Can anyone tell me about the music environment at both colleges pls? are those professors very traditional or interested in new music? I am a college student, is it a disadvantage?
Thanks
C32316
Hi I am applying for undergrad music 2010. I want to choose either st johns or st annes. Can anyone tell me about the music environment at both colleges pls? are those professors very traditional or interested in new music? I am a college student, is it a disadvantage?
Thanks

Helloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :hello:

Firstly, being a college (I presume you mean a state school?) student is no disadvantage whatsoever:

1) There are more state school pupils at Oxford than there are private school pupils
2) More state school applicants get offers than their private school counterparts
3) I'm from a comp :woo:

(There are stats to back up those first two)

Oh gosh, this is a hard one tutor-wise:

St. John's: Martin Stokes, who is absolutely amazing :love: He's an ethnomusicologist, which means he is into world and popular musics (specifically Turkish music). He's also an organist. He's a lovely guy, very open-minded and very cool :cool:

St. Anne's: Martyn Harry and my lovely ex-tutor Alex Buckle. Martyn used to be into radio production or something like that. He's a composer and so knows lots about new music. Alex Buckle is a medievalist but she's pretty cool too and also quite open-minded :yep:

As for musical environment: I think the two colleges have a joint orchestra. I imagine St. John's would have a lot more money for music stuff than St. Anne's but St. Anne's seem to have a really good sense of community within their music soc (don't know the people in my year at St. John's). St. John's has a pretty amazing organ in their chapel, if that appeal to you :smile:
Haeron
I started an independent essay for this TODAY D:

Ooooh oooh oooh! On what?!?!?! :teeth:
Reply 14
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Ooooh oooh oooh! On what?!?!?! :teeth:

'The Goals of Analysis' - basically why we analyse, and discussing certain methods.

Secret: I'm basically just quoting Nicholas Cook, but adding in a very few of my own ideas :awesome:
Haeron
'The Goals of Analysis' - basically why we analyse, and discussing certain methods.

Secret: I'm basically just quoting Nicholas Cook, but adding in a very few of my own ideas

Interesting! I'm sure Larry Dreyfus could have a lot of fun with a topic like that, so make sure you understand everything you're quoting! :yes:
Reply 16
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Interesting! I'm sure Larry Dreyfus could have a lot of fun with a topic like that, so make sure you understand everything you're quoting! :yes:

I think you just instilled in me the greatest amount of fear I have possibly ever felt D:
Haeron
I think you just instilled in me the greatest amount of fear I have possibly ever felt D:

Nothing to be scared about as such. I don't know how Larry Dreyfus goes about interviewing people but just remember that your submitted work can be discussed/challenged in the interview and so you must only write stuff you're comfortable talking about. A whole interview of mine was on a Berlioz essay I'd sent in. Lots of Oxford tutors will be very familiar with Nick Cook's work, so just be careful :yes:
scottishviolinplayer
Hi...I am new...

Have also applied to music, but no offers as yet, thinking that is because they all involve interviews...

Have applied to

Oxford...

:hello:

Which college? :smile:
Nymphonia
I already have AAA as I'm applying from my gap yeaar no. 2

I have applied for

Oxford (Exeter College)...

:hello:

Woo for Exeter College. Elizabeth Eva Leach is awesome :awesome:

Quick Reply

Latest