The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Strongly support it; the state has no right to tell people they cannot choose to die - it's the individuals decision and not the governments.
If someone really wants to end their life then they should be allowed too. Other people can't experience life from the ill person's point of view so they shouldn't have a say in it.
Reply 3
Only in the case of terminal illness/severe depression. Otherwise you would have people killing themselves because their omelet had no salt - that wouldn't be good.

Totally agree that the religious argument is useless, but there are plenty of other arguments against it that stand.
Feral Beast
Do you believe that people have the right to end their own lives?

I believe they absolutely do on request. A person has the right to their own life, and should dictate when it should end.

I find it infuriating that religious opinion has such power in such fundamental issues.

agree, people should have the right to end their own life if they want to, it their choice and shouldn't be told that they can't end their life
Yup
But I believe only if they have a terminal disease or in a lot of pain.
Reply 6
I think drawing a distinction between terminal and non-terminal people is rather pointless, because if someone isn't in masses of pain/terminal and weak, they're going to be able to commit suicide by themselves anyway. The reason people want assisted is for those who physically can't do it themselves.
Si
Its not a decision that can be made by the government, right?
Reply 8
“They tell us that suicide is the greatest piece of cowardice... that suicide is wrong; when it is quite obvious that there is nothing in the world to which every man has a more unassailable title than to his own life and person." - Schopenhauer

That quote basically sums up my opinions on the right to die.
Reply 9
Euthanasia is not the same a suicide.

If people decide to take their own lives, it is up to them and I don't see how one can prevent them if they wish to die, although I would hope that as compassionate human beings, we might be able to take the time to convince them that life is worth living, despite their present despair.

However, posters contributing to this thread are saying that people have the right to die without considering that euthanasia involves someone else doing the killing.

We need to ask ourselves: Does one who wants to die have the right to expect someone else to carry out the deed?

I believe that once we think about it in its correct context, opinions might change for some posters.
yawn
Euthanasia is not the same a suicide.

If people decide to take their own lives, it is up to them and I don't see how one can prevent them if they wish to die, although I would hope that as compassionate human beings, we might be able to take the time to convince them that life is worth living, despite their present despair.

However, posters contributing to this thread are saying that people have the right to die without considering that euthanasia involves someone else doing the killing.

We need to ask ourselves: Does one who wants to die have the right to expect someone else to carry out the deed?

I believe that once we think about it in its correct context, opinions might change for some posters.

I think everybody realises what euthanasia is ...
Reply 11
numb3rb0y
I think drawing a distinction between terminal and non-terminal people is rather pointless, because if someone isn't in masses of pain/terminal and weak, they're going to be able to commit suicide by themselves anyway. The reason people want assisted is for those who physically can't do it themselves.

In principle I agree with you, but for a lot of people the doctor confirmation is an important part of ensuring that the person isn't being forced to make this decision by someone else, or is otherwise being misinformed or pressurised.
Reply 12
yawn

Maybe not expect, but at least know that if someone is willing to help them die, that they won't be doing so illegally as is currently the case.
Reply 13
ive just got a book about this for ethics
arguing for and against
soo confusing
Feral Beast

I believe they absolutely do on request. A person has the right to their own life, and should dictate when it should end.

I find it infuriating that religious opinion has such power in such fundamental issues.

Couldn't agree more.
Reply 15
CandyFlipper
I think everybody realises what euthanasia is ...

With the exception of myself...at least up until the time I posted...no one mentioned that taking the life of another is different to one having the right to take one's own life.

Therefore, it was encumbent upon someone to stress this fact and I accepted responsibility for doing so. :smile:
Reply 16
suneilr
Maybe not expect, but at least know that if someone is willing to help them die, that they won't be doing so illegally as is currently the case.

I think personally, that placing the burden for taking one's own life on another stinks, to be perfectly honest.

Regardless of whether it is illegal (as it is now) or becomes legalised in the future, it will still stink.
Of course people should have the right to die. If I had an incurable illness that was causing me immense amounts of pain and ruining my life terminal or not I'd be on the next plane to Switzerland, I'd be a hypocrite to deny to others what I'd support for myself.
Reply 18
Feral Beast

I agree that people should be allowed to end their own lives on request (and that religion shouldn't even come into it).... but only if they have no children under 18- if you had a child, aren't you under an obligation to care for it until its old enough to look after itself? Removing all responsibility of your child is, well, irresponsible..
Reply 19
yawn
I think personally, that placing the burden for taking one's own life on another stinks, to be perfectly honest.

Regardless of whether it is illegal (as it is now) or becomes legalised in the future, it will still stink.

Really? Is that why there are people who are willing to do this even knowing that it's illegal? Sometimes helping someone else to die can be the greatest act of mercy for them.

Latest

Trending

Trending