M1 today question 3, 2 strings one tension? Watch

This discussion is closed.
also1412
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Hey mates has any one taken M1 this afternoon and noticed question 3 was a ambiguous one. on the first bit of the question it said to find the tension, (not tensions in the context), but obviously there are two strings and, well, i personally think there can be two outcomes,

1. tension of the left string = tension of the vertical one;
2. tensions are different, and tension of the vertical one = weight of the ball

however, if 2 was ture, the next bit gave 4 marks for calculating the weight of the ball, and in that case we could quote the answer from first bit and score 4 marks? that kinda impossible.

maybe i made a mistake in the very beginning, any idea professors?
ljfrugn
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
It was one string. The bead was threaded onto it.
aless_moretti
Report 13 years ago
What was your final answer for that question? Did you just add the two tensions you had found and that would be the answer for the one string? hmm
How did you find the rest of the paper?
m0dm0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Which Exam board is this?
ljfrugn
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Edexcel. The paper seemed scarily easy, past experience with exams tells me that when I've found something easy I haven't done very well in it. The tension in the string came out as 7.5N overall I think.
Chris87
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by ljfrugn)
Edexcel. The paper seemed scarily easy, past experience with exams tells me that when I've found something easy I haven't done very well in it. The tension in the string came out as 7.5N overall I think.
Yes I got that as the tension as well.
Skyblue Pink
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by ljfrugn)
It was one string. The bead was threaded onto it.
Yeah i agree- Q said a string, therefore the tensions are equal but I can't remember what they worked out at. Seriously, how does everyone else seem to remember every single answer that they wrote? I'm like that in other subjects, but numbers just don't seem to stick- ah well at least it stops me over analysing my probably shocking performance.
morpheus
Report 13 years ago
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/t118581.html
=Keith=
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Hmm... i never even though of that.. ne ways.. i got the tension thing... i think paper was good.. but .. i really got stuck in that last question.. (i j notation)... the part which was 6 marks.. i duno if i will get even method marks... n e ways tmrw.. is chemustry (edexcel).. best of luck everyone
also1412
apart from this question, others are damn easy i admit~

i wrote 7.5N for the first bit no doubt, what about the second bit? is there anyone can post a diagram on here i am not old enough to do so~ >< ~
andyd_y02
Report 13 years ago
i got 7.5N tension in the string, the tension being the same in the "left string" and "vertical string" cos they were all one string. so i thought the weight was equal to the tenision in the "vertical string" ie 7.5 plus the vertical component of the tension in the "left string" ie Tsin(whatever the angle was i cant remember) so the weight was 12N...anyone agree/disagree? i went back to it for ages cos i got confused to be honest
also1412
(Original post by andyd_y02)
i got 7.5N tension in the string, the tension being the same in the "left string" and "vertical string" cos they were all one string. so i thought the weight was equal to the tenision in the "vertical string" ie 7.5 plus the vertical component of the tension in the "left string" ie Tsin(whatever the angle was i cant remember) so the weight was 12N...anyone agree/disagree? i went back to it for ages cos i got confused to be honest
12N
the angle was sinθ=0.6 cosθ=0.8, it was a 3,4,5 triangle...

i got the same answer as you did mate. but, yeah, we think in the same way. is there any1 got different opinions?
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (182)
80.53%
Leave (44)
19.47%

Watched Threads