At what age do free repeat prescriptions stop?

Watch
Brouhaha
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
I know that as a student you don't normally get free prescriptions. But on the sheet it says it's free if someone is "16, 17 or 18 and in full-time education". By that definition, does it mean an 18 yr old in their 1st year of uni gets prescriptions free until their birthday? I'm a little confused.
Nelliephant
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I've got free prescriptions this summer and I'm going off to uni next month, so I guess so!

Also you can get free prescriptions as a student if you don't have very much in savings.
hannah_dru
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I got free prescriptions until I was 19. Its quite hard to still get them after that even if you don't have much as savings as they are quite picky.
Abigail8727
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
You need to fill in a HC1 form which entitles people on a low income to free prescriptions, dental treatment, NHS supports, wigs, sight tests and glasses. You can pick up a form from the dentist, optician or gp surgery.

There's a specific section for students, make sure you fill it in and send a copy of your student loan schedule.

You're also entitled to free prescriptions for life is you have a long term illness that requires regular medication, such as diabetes or epilepsy. You fill in a different form for this and your gp has to sign it to confirm you need regular medication.
Hattie.
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
19 I think..?
melting_snow
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
You can get them up to the day before your 19th birthday if you're in full time education. If you choose to go straight into work when you finish school, then obviously you have to pay for your prescriptions. You can, if you're over 18 and still in education (though I don't know if it counts if you're at uni) get a HC1 form (like the above person mentioned) to entitle you to free prescriptions
Kevin J
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
You get them free for as long as you are a student. You have to fill out a form.
rachelb8906
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
yes,you get free prescriptions if youre 18 and in full time education.

so you can continue to get free prescriptions until the day before your 19th birthday.

i think its appauling that Uni students dont get free prescriptions.

its the same for eye tests and things, and i think its wrong.
melting_snow
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Kevin J)
You get them free for as long as you are a student. You have to fill out a form.

So can university students get free prescriptions?
Kevin J
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by melting_snow)
Yes. You will need to feel out a form, go see a pharmacy.
munkie
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Until they're 19, yes.

After 19 if they demonstrate they're on a low income.
melting_snow
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Kevin J)
Thanks muchly - was hoping we could get them. I get a lot of medication in a month, it adds up!
melting_snow
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by munkie)
Until they're 19, yes.

After 19 if they demonstrate they're on a low income.

So it doesn't go on my parents' income? It goes on mine? Sorry, I get confused when it comes to stuff like this!
I will probably get the lowest amount of loan (my dad's income is quite high) and the lowest amount of bursary, so I'm hoping I will be entitled to free prescriptions. If not, it's bye bye meds... *eyeroll*
munkie
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
So it doesn't go on my parents' income? It goes on mine? Sorry, I get confused when it comes to stuff like this!
I will probably get the lowest amount of loan (my dad's income is quite high) and the lowest amount of bursary, so I'm hoping I will be entitled to free prescriptions. If not, it's bye bye meds... *eyeroll*
No it's on your own income. Many students would qualify, because they're not earning. The only real disqualifier is if you have more than £8k in savings.

When I stopped being entitled to free prescriptions I just got a PPC (pre-payment certificate) which is about £30 and lets you get as many prescriptions as you need for 3 months. Also my GP is nice and gives me about 2 or 3 inhalers at a time for 1 prescription charge.
Titch89
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
A 12 month PPC is around £100 per year, which may work out cheaper than the 3 month one.

Only if your income is low enough. I get mine due to something about long term disability. Don't require (usually) that much medication, but it does come in useful.
Explorer Dora
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
The HC1 form is a low-income form, not just for students. I've found that if you fill it out with your student address, you can get around the parental income thing.

Definately worth doing if you need a lot of prescriptions
Brouhaha
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Wicked, thanks a lot for your help everyone. Guess I'll just continue to get free prescriptions till my 19th birthday next summer, then I'll fill in a HC1 form ready for my 2nd year. I severely doubt I'll have over 8k in savings! I thought it was very unfair that students don't get free prescriptions so I'm glad there's a way round it. Thank you!
xXMessedUpXx
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Its free if "are 16-18 and in full-time education"

Means the *******s screwed me over through as i remeber getting a prescription in my first year before my 19th and having to pay as uni was higher education and not covered, GRRRR
Titch89
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
But university is full-time education. Well, if you're on a full time course it is.
sandettielightvessel
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Titch89)
A 12 month PPC is around £100 per year, which may work out cheaper than the 3 month one.
Or head north, a 12 month PPC in Scotland is about £38.

(In actual fact, is there anything which says you can't use a PPC bought in Scotland, in England?).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (21)
30%
No (49)
70%

Watched Threads