Turn on thread page Beta

Aqa Maths Non Calculator watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    for the last question with the 3 people passing, I put 0.9.
    Did anyone do question 13 about finding what p+q was and finding the coordinate A?

ReputationRep:
    HARDEST EVER PAPER!!!! I didn't understand the sin graphs or the simultaneous equation. I even know of someone who cried because it was soo hard, (unbelievable).

Even the clever kids found it hard so i expect the grade boundaries to be low for it. But the chances are the calculator paper will be easier to compensate, so they dnt have 2 make the boundaries 2 low.

Maths is ewwwy!

ReputationRep:
    I did intermediate... and that was soo difficult. I guessed the locus question... messed up the pie chart, did the cylinder thing wrong (I put 2000 instead of 20,000), and got weird decimal answers for some equations. I was like yeah I should get a B no problem but now I'm not even sure I got a C...

ReputationRep:
    lol, what was this jack question? I don;t remember it, someone give me a recap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kenada)
    lol, what was this jack question? I don;t remember it, someone give me a recap.
    All I remember is Sam and red and white counters with numbers on

ReputationRep:
    Bugger, I think I may have missed a page, lmao I'll make it up with the next paper

Edit: None of my mates remember it so maybe your schools don;t do modular or sumthin??

ReputationRep:
    I really hate this GCSE with a passion

I've been at College a whole year now, i.e. I should be moving on to A2 levels next year. But if I fail this GCSE again it'll probably be tagged onto my A2 timetable.

It really is a lose-lose situation.

If I fail Module 5 big time the B's and C's from the other modules (Some being coursework) won't matter, an E will probably bring everything down to a D grade. I can resit this module in November, but if I can't crack it this time then I'm not sure how I will be able to pull a miracle the next time!

If I took the full linear papers in November (I doubt this will happen, if it is even an option!) I would have to learn everything in 2 months, which is impossible!

Sometimes I get the feeling these Module 5 papers are basically 'the last 3 pages of a linear paper' turned into a whole exam! (If you get what I mean). I've always struggled at Shape, Space, Angles, etc and this paper is pretty much full of the things...It can be taught over and over again but you simply cannot tell what they will ask on the day.

ReputationRep:
    When I did it, it was only 25% for a pass in it for AQA.

ReputationRep:
    Are there a billion million in a trillion?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hakkashinhwauk)
    When I did it, it was only 25% for a pass in it for AQA.
    I think you need somethhing like 10 out of 70 for a C, lol.

ReputationRep:
    Did the intermediate and found it easy.

The pie chart was just basically 360 / 60, from which you get 6. Then you multiplied 6 by 18, 6 by 10, 6 by 24 and 6 by 12, which gave you 108, 60, 120 and 72 (which all add to up 360).

I know I've messed up the loci though .

ReputationRep:
    Apparently, lots of schools have complained (as you'd expect) and the exam board have lowered the grade boundaries. Thats what I've heard

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hearthethunder)
    Are there a billion million in a trillion?
    1 000 000 = million
    1 000 000 000 = billion
    1 000 000 000 000 = trillion

1 billion million = 1 000 000 000 000 000

No, there are a million million in a trillion. 1 billion million is one million billion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soulsussed)
    Apparently, lots of schools have complained (as you'd expect) and the exam board have lowered the grade boundaries. Thats what I've heard
    It was always going to be hard, come on - it was a higher tier paper.

ReputationRep:
    427 is not 47/110.
    yeah it is.
    (0.42727272727 x 1000)-(0.42727x10)=423
    423/990=141/330=47/110
    Sorry you're right. I was tired, misread 47/110 as 47/100 >_<

It was always going to be hard, come on - it was a higher tier paper.
    Agree with you there.

They design it so everybody who's capable of getting A* pretty much finishes. Those who can only get an A can do most of it, B a bit less etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    Agree with you there.

They design it so everybody who's capable of getting A* pretty much finishes. Those who can only get an A can do most of it, B a bit less etc etc.[/QUOTE]

Exactly - in fact, with edexcel at least the higher tier paper is secificaly like that.

ReputationRep:
    all fair points, but what most of the complaints are coming from, is that the paper was so_much_harder than last yrs higher tier paper. I found last yrs higher tier paper a breeze and we used it for our mock and i got something like 50/70 and that was 5 months before the real exam was due to be taken. Yesterdays paper was a lot harder than any past papers ive done

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Originally Posted by kenada
    lol, what was this jack question? I don;t remember it, someone give me a recap.[/QUOTE]

I THINK (cnt remeber much now though) it was the question about a boy who is given a test. He has 30 marks to start off with and for every mark he gt right he got 4 marks and for every mark he gt wrong he lost 1 mark.

The questions which followed were about writing expressions for it.

I couldn't do it thou. Wen i com 2 think of it, i cdnt do half the paper :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I THINK (cnt remeber much now though) it was the question about a boy who is given a test. He has 30 marks to start off with and for every mark he gt right he got 4 marks and for every mark he gt wrong he lost 1 mark.

I couldn't do it thou. Wen i com 2 think of it, i cdnt do half the paper
    1) Expression for how many he gets wrong:

If he as 30 questions and gets X right, he gets 30-X wrong.

2) Expression for how many points he gets.

He starts with 25 points:

points = 25

He gets 4 for every question right:

points = 25 + 4x

He gets -1 for every question wrong:

points = 25 + 4x + -1(30-x)

expand and cancels to

points = 5x - 5 (i think if I remember correctly)

3) He gets 80 points, how many did he get right

point = 5x - 5
    80 = 5x - 5

80 + 5 = 5x

5x = 85

x = 17.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=flipflop2]
    (Original post by Originally Posted by kenada
    lol, what was this jack question? I don;t remember it, someone give me a recap.[/QUOTE
    )

I couldn't do it thou. Wen i com 2 think of it, i cdnt do half the paper :confused:
    For that question:

Jack does a test. It has 30 questions.

He starts with 25 marks.

For every question he gets right, he gains 4 marks.

For every question he gets wrong he loses 1 mark.

(a) Jack gets x questions right. Write an expression for the questions he got wrong.

Answer = 30-x

(b) NOT SURE but something like 'write an expression for total marks, rememebr you start with 25'

25 + 4x - 1(30-x)
    25 + 4x - 30 + x

Answer = -5 + 5x

(c) Jack got 80 marks. How many question did he get correct?

80 = -5 + 5x
    85 = 5x

Answer: x = 17

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Buckingham
    Open Evening Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.