Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    Erm - to be fair, did you not do the same thing witht he whole NG tube, trying to trump Manchester? 'Cos to be honest, given what you've accused Renal of, that's how your post now reads... (it didn't before!)
    No, I was just saying what I did yesterday, in response to Dave talking about his day. I can't exactly say I was trying to make it sound glamourous and fun, or trying to "beat" anyone else.

I could talk about my Breaking Bad News session instead if you feel that would be more equal, but I wasn't trying to trump anyone - you've all probably done more than me already, being on more clinically oriented courses, I just object to the superiority complex that manifests itself occasionally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    No, I was just saying what I did yesterday, in response to Dave talking about his day. I can't exactly say I was trying to make it sound glamourous and fun, or trying to "beat" anyone else.

I could talk about my Breaking Bad News session instead if you feel that would be more equal, but I wasn't trying to trump anyone - you've all probably done more than me already, being on more clinically oriented courses, I just object to the superiority complex that manifests itself occasionally.
    I honestly think you are being over sensitive. Admittedly I know Renal IRL, but I really didn't take his comment as one-up-man-ship... Knowing Renal (with a huge clue in the old sticks name), I'm sure he has experienced the catheter on more than one occasion ...

ReputationRep:
    I honestly think you are being over sensitive. Admittedly I know Renal IRL, but I really didn't take his comment as one-up-man-ship... Knowing Renal (with a huge clue in the old sticks name), I'm sure he has experienced the catheter on more than one occasion ...
    probably during a drinking session knowing barts :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saffie)
    probably during a drinking session knowing barts :rolleyes:
    I was thinking more the Tx...

ReputationRep:
    "You think that's nasty? You should try x/y/z/whatever the latest thing is that we're doing, because we're at Barts and are so much greater than you!"
    Don't be daft, i've never catherterised anyone and I'm putting it off as long as possible.

ReputationRep:
    LOL! Never catheterised, just decatheterised, which is much easier - suck out a little saline (oooh errr!) and down it comes!!!!!
    Decath is not easy - it burns like a mother****er

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    Don't be daft, i've never catherterised anyone and I'm putting it off as long as possible.
    Ditto - one of the guys on my firm is insanely keen on practical skills and was all "I really want to try catheterising and everything when we get to the DGH's" despite the fact we've not had the proper sessions on it yet... :eek: I'm in favour of mastering one thing at a time, although I think we have to be able to do it by the end of stage 1. Unfortunately our ward is notoriously difficult for phlebotomy and cannulas, so even practising that is hard!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    Ditto.
    Well actually, i've just never been in the right place at the right time, i'd do it if I was but I dont want to go hunting for someone to abuse.

Ditto - one of the guys on my firm is insanely keen on practical skills and was all "I really want to try catheterising and everything when we get to the DGH's" despite the fact we've not had the proper sessions on it yet... :eek: I'm in favour of mastering one thing at a time, although I think we have to be able to do it by the end of stage 1. Unfortunately our ward is notoriously difficult for phlebotomy and cannulas, so even practising that is hard!
    i'm more of a practical shirker myself.
    Specially bloods.

Thats not to say i can't do most of it, I can. But you get to the stage when you realise you need to be selfish. Screw the hospital, if they don't have enough phlebs thats their problem. There's more to my education then doing (literally) 10 bloods every morning and the tonne of paper/computer work that goes with them.

ReputationRep:
    We have Electronic Patient Records at the hospital I'm at at the moment. Quite fab, you can order any test you want from a drop down menu, and it pronts all your labels out too... cuts down paper work a lot.

Bad side of it all, is EPR is what made the Gov decide The Spine was a good idea to implement...

ReputationRep:
    The spine? ****ing Christopher Reeve's spine more like!

ReputationRep:

Then you are alone...this one upmanship is really getting on my nerves now...being over sensetive? WHO... I think you should get a grip and undertstand that the world...1 dosnt owe you a favour...2 dosnt revolve around you Lets move on and talk about something that rreally matters and is interesting to the rest of us.....stuff BARTS

ReputationRep:
    Whoah, where is the love people?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goldenapples)

Then you are alone...this one upmanship is really getting on my nerves now...being over sensetive? WHO... I think you should get a grip and undertstand that the world...1 dosnt owe you a favour...2 dosnt revolve around you Lets move on and talk about something that rreally matters and is interesting to the rest of us.....stuff BARTS
    no she isnt alone. There isn't any one-upmanship that i've noticed and i generally follow Fluffy around here.
    And Barts rules, deal with it.

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand why competitiveness is bandied round like it's a bad term. It's hardly like the fact that Fluffy, Renal, or anyone has done something you haven't is going to affect you in any way (unless you happen to be on their firm). And even if it does bother you, you only have yourself to blame for not putting in the hours that Fluffy especially seems to put in.

Clinical medicine is a competitive world by it's very nature, and unless you push yourself forward you won't learn things.

Maybe people can get on other people's nerves for their stubborness, competitiveness and oneupmanship, but who among us can admit to never sharing some or all of these traits (I know I sure as hell can't)

I will say that the Brats in the London do have a rather overinflated opinion of their med school (but then who doesn't like to think that their med school is better than all the others) and are a bit over-precious about people even mentioning QMUL in their presence

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by j00ni)
    I don't understand why competitiveness is bandied round like it's a bad term. It's hardly like the fact that Fluffy, Renal, or anyone has done something you haven't is going to affect you in any way (unless you happen to be on their firm). And even if it does bother you, you only have yourself to blame for not putting in the hours that Fluffy especially seems to put in.

Clinical medicine is a competitive world by it's very nature, and unless you push yourself forward you won't learn things.

Maybe people can get on other people's nerves for their stubborness, competitiveness and oneupmanship, but who among us can admit to never sharing some or all of these traits (I know I sure as hell can't)

I will say that the Brats in the London do have a rather overinflated opinion of their med school (but then who doesn't like to think that their med school is better than all the others) and are a bit over-precious about people even mentioning QMUL in their presence
    *coughs*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    *coughs*
    Yeah but we know it's true

:p: :p:

ReputationRep:
    We have Electronic Patient Records at the hospital I'm at at the moment. Quite fab, you can order any test you want from a drop down menu, and it pronts all your labels out too... cuts down paper work a lot.

Bad side of it all, is EPR is what made the Gov decide The Spine was a good idea to implement...
    We have about 4 different computer programmes for records - don't know if EPR is one of them, but I don't see why they can't all be eventually combined. But then it would crash. Repeatedly. We have some clever little printouts for bloods, with stickers down the side, saves writing in tiny letters on a curved surface at least!

(Original post by j00ni)
    This is mainly what I meant - I'm always astounded by Fluffy's work drive, and that's not a problem at all; also the fact that their course is more clinically oriented means that at this stage, they have done more. Maybe it's because Cambridge medics tend to be rather apologetic about everything when it comes to our course (even though I do think it's great).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by j00ni)
    speaking from my 7 weeks experience....... BL's medicine course is by no means perfect and I don't know anyone here who would suggest it is. We just enjoy yelling 'barts' in public places. (If you're just talking about Fluffy and Renal on here then don't generalise it to all of us!)

We all jokingly join in with the 'we are no way QM!', but my room is next to a QMers, I might live with the medics but I'm on the QM campus...
    It's not something that cuts to the bone when people call it QM med school, but nobody here would call it that, so its quite ignorant to call it that.

ReputationRep:
    I would agree that most people think that there medical school is great although not everyone

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 4, 2009

University open days

• University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.