i am...not in a good mood.
Sorry mate, only a joke.

And a bad one at that.
Sarky
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
The Isle of Wight is a lovely place... Everyone here hates it too. At least you can't get sent there whilst you're at uni.

Good luck with that form Jamie.
Jamie
Report 12 years ago
ack, you guys will experience this soon enough.

why did we pick medicine? i mean in what other profession do you have so incredibly little control over your own life?

if i'd have realised it would be like this, i would have done medicine with the army scholarships. but for some silly reason i thought i'd be tied down for 5 years that way. never realised just how tied down you are this way.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I don't want to do ANY of the SSCs on the list
Elles
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
I don't want to do ANY of the SSCs on the list
Is self arranging an option?

They evidently cancelled my first choice, booo. So I have a slightly random anthropology/history of medicine one!
randdom
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
History of medicine things rock!
Fluffy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Needle holders... Do they have a more 'medicy' name? I want to get some to practice my suture technique, and didn't want to look a plank by going into John Bell and Croyden and asking for a 'needle holder', if they're actually called something else! Ebay draws a blank searching under needle holder...
j00ni
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Could be called surgical forceps, though needle holders is more common ime (to avoid confusion with other forceps i suppose). More 'medicy' names are usually in direct reference to the specific design of needle holder
Jamie
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Fluffy)
Needle holders... Do they have a more 'medicy' name? I want to get some to practice my suture technique, and didn't want to look a plank by going into John Bell and Croyden and asking for a 'needle holder', if they're actually called something else! Ebay draws a blank searching under needle holder...
get a pair of needle holders, pair of artery forceps, some tooth forceps, non-tooth forceps, and scissors.

thats your lot.
jam
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Ta muchley!

Need to get some bananas or chickens too - can't see my other half being overly impressed with our consultants suggestion of practice suturing up your sofa!
Revenged
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I did a history of medicine SSM once upon a time... and it was bloody awful... You do nothing in all the "lessons" except learn how to reference and how to reference and how to reference and how to reference and how to reference... and then have to do *cram* a 6 thosand word essay whilst other people have SSMs were all they have to do is turn up, smile and draw a poster... Grr...

My SSM this year is absolutely fantastic though... Actually get to do something I want to do rather than being made to do my 3rd choice...
Renal
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
SSM choice?

What's that then?
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Elles)
Is self arranging an option?

They evidently cancelled my first choice, booo. So I have a slightly random anthropology/history of medicine one!
It is, but I'm not really sure what I'd be interested in that I'd be allowed to do - my major interest is sexual health/psychosexual issues-kinda stuff and that's more of a 2nd year subject; there's no provision whatsoever for it this year. I think the forensic medicine one could be cool but a) loads of people will want it and b) I fear it will be more histology/cytology than cool stuff.
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
HoM is really interesting! I keep meaning to visit our archives, and having just watched "Casualty 1906", I'm going to make a concerted effort to!
Elles
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
We had a few provided for this year that seem vaguely related: Teenage health (including sexual health, teenage pregnancy and parenthood) & Neonatalogy (more tenuous!)
If you're really interested in it you could try & self arrange... we had to decide ours a while back, otherwise i might have gone for a self arranged one.

On another my-medical-school-being-ridiculously-organised note :p: we're having the choosing for 5th year groups soon i.e. which order we do: Paeds; Obs, Gynae & GUM; A&E, Ortho & Musculoskel; Psych; Neuro/ENT & Opthal; Geriatrics, Palliative, Dermatology, Public Health & GP.

Perhaps I'm over-thinking way too much & should just decide based on who else is in the group (I'm bang in the middle of the ballot which is quite handy) but thought i'd ask people who have done some specialties: do you think there's any benefit to choosing a certain order?
I thought maybe Psych near the end once I've gone some more experience because i'm slightly scared about it. Any words of wisdom?
Ataloss
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Elles)

On another my-medical-school-being-ridiculously-organised note :p: we're having the choosing for 5th year groups soon i.e. which order we do: Paeds; Obs, Gynae & GUM; A&E, Ortho & Musculoskel; Psych; Neuro/ENT & Opthal; Geriatrics, Palliative, Dermatology, Public Health & GP.

Perhaps I'm over-thinking way too much & should just decide based on who else is in the group (I'm bang in the middle of the ballot which is quite handy) but thought i'd ask people who have done some specialties: do you think there's any benefit to choosing a certain order?
I thought maybe Psych near the end once I've gone some more experience because i'm slightly scared about it. Any words of wisdom?
No words of wisdom - but I honestly don't think it matters which order you do the specialities.

Psych isn't all that bad really and in any case just think in GUM you'll face horny teenagers who can't keep it in their pants, in A&E drunks who are far more likely to hit you, confused old grannies in geriatrics can hurt when they bite and scratch you.

So perhaps the only word of wisdom I have is - do to Public Health first - at least then you'll have learnt where all the nutters and violent patients are and in which speciality your most likely to get attacked/injured in.

Good luck.
Jamie
Report 12 years ago
i'd say finish with obs, gynaes and GUM. they are the most finite areas, so will be easiest pre-finals
Revenged
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Fluffy)
HoM is really interesting! I keep meaning to visit our archives,
Maybe it is 'interesting' in theory... but the SSM for it was rubbish... Every week I was asked about my research I did and I just had to wing it because it never happened... i left it all to christmas holidays... in the christmas holidays I found out the welcome library closes for two weeks and that you couldn't even take out the books out of the library!... I had to spend 4 days in the library and hide my books so noone could find them... and if you wanted something photocopied you had to fill out a form and wait four hours for them to do it... It was such a major hassle... and I hated having to go to the library reading books... and considering some of my friends got away with making a poster - I felt cheated with my choice of SSM...

But on the other hand... My other SSM was a coplete doss one and I did really **** in it... I dunno if it's better to do well at something you hated every minute of or do badly at something but do no work for it... Ah well, at least my SSM is good this year...
Renal
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Renal)
SSM choice?

What's that then?
Of all the posts I make, this one gets anonymously negged? :confused:
Sarky
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Someone i know just passed her finals its so weird seeing her as a doctor now! We heard them all doing their OSCE's yesterday whilst we were in lectures..that bell sound will have me waking up in my sleep in terror!
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (16)
31.37%
No - I got the required grades (28)
54.9%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (7)
13.73%

Watched Threads