TSR Med Students' Society (TSR Meds) Watch

This discussion is closed.
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by goodLife)
How does that analogy link to being breast fed though?
the effect of being breast fed on future morbidity pales in comparison to other factors later in life.
just like it doesn't matter if you do something 'dangerous' like driving without a seatbelt if you are playing with a hand grenade whilst you do it. the effect of the 'no seatbelt' is rather little in terms of risk comapred to the hand grenade...
Sarky
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by saturn)
Hey you, help us out with this formula feeding thing, whats your opinion? Your the most qualified. Sorry if I sound demanding, I shouldn't really be here

As for the cure ..you could pretend your ill and ask for an extended deadline, or somehow try and enjoy the work.
Sheesh what happened to please?:rolleyes:
saturn
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Fluffy)
And with my own teeth!

I don't have a medical degree...

Back to the question in hand - the others have said it all really, way way to many confounding variables to do a study with any great deal of statistical significance, you could try adding in a z score for measurement uncertainty, but even then, I think that it would be a struggle to prove that formula feed is better than breast in term of CHD - certainly in a 'typical' Western population.

Other health implications of pushing formula over breast might be death rates in the developing world. Making formula using less than hygenic water is already a major childhood killer...

Do you have a link to the 'evidence' you describe?

For instance, a quick scan of pubmed based on metaanalysis of RCTs shows that breastfeeding may provide a degree of long-term protection against the development of type 2 diabete (guestimated at 39% lower incidence based on 7 studies involving 76,744 subjects)... Again, you could not say does, and decent studies recognise this.

One thing you will learn at med school is how to evaluate data, and the hiararchy of evidence... I'm sure you alreasy know the importance of Internet source, and the fact that any loon can set up a website making any number of claims... I'm thinking of starting one stating that eating to much Cadbury's Smash turns you in to a metal alien - and I have evidence...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACmLGSjUN3s

Don't make it true
Ok cheers, if you have time this is what I found lol

I think this is what you have mentioned:
http://www.lifescan.com/diabetes/news/20061121elin022/

This is the scary stuff, cancer, heart disease and loads more.
http://www.promom.org/101/

Heart disease
http://www.chiropracticresearch.org/...fed_babies.htm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3711677.stm

Evidence against/ruling out breast feeding (though its probably not v valid)
http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/...urcetype=HWCIT

http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/abstr...urcetype=HWCIT

The pro mum site seems way over the top but it does give links to the studies.
Fluffy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
And would you trust any of those sites, save for the BMJ?

As for the BMJ paper, would you trust a study where n=331, and all from the same geographical area?
Saffie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
woOoo i got A's in both parts of "FunMed"!!! not sure about the marks yet but YAY!! :party: :dancing:

ahem.
Fluffy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Cool as! Congrats!
Saffie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Fluffy)
Cool as! Congrats!
thank you!
Sunofnight
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Formula feeding produces higher risk of disease uh, I wouldn't trust them studies but then again if so many of this research and these studies find that there is a link there must be, it can't just be quincidence. Unless there are just as many studies which don't find a link and don't get published.

It is actually the BMJ whch is not finding many links.
Jamie
Report 11 years ago
the bmj is a journal, not a research establishment
Sunofnight
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Jamie)
the bmj is a journal, not a research establishment
oh well where do they get the research from?
Jamie
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Sunofnight)
oh well where do they get the research from?
researchers do research, they then send in their results in the form of a paper to a journal. liek the bmj. the bmj looks it over, decides whether its valid, and then publishes it.

its all rather mercenary.
j00ni
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Hmmm it seems i drastically underestimated how long it would take me to sort out all my references for this report
Daveo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by j00ni)
Hmmm it seems i drastically underestimated how long it would take me to sort out all my references for this report
Handed mine in today, all 5500 words
not gloating, honest
Jamie
Report 11 years ago
I've got to do an A0 poster of my whole elective by tomorrow. just can't be bothered!!!!
Wangers
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Just because its posted in a journal dosnt mean it's gospal. It is then looked at by people working in the same area - peer review. Then from that there is a kind of criticism and defense session. Once its been through all that there will be a general consensus as to the validity of the work and wether has any notable implications. You would be surprised how through criticism can be, even veiled behind scientific terminology.

If you actually want to understand the process, the Andrew Wakefield study about MMR is a good one to look at. A lot of the documentation around it will explain the process and why it was so flawed.
joyabbott
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Jamie)
I've got to do an A0 poster of my whole elective by tomorrow. just can't be bothered!!!!

A collage of holiday snaps?
j00ni
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Daveo)
Handed mine in today, all 5500 words
not gloating, honest
I only managed 4500 in the end, though that took 32 references to collate ffs.

Ack, still need to sort out my project option for next week. Oh well, at least there's no work to this weekend
Jamie
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by joyabbott)
A collage of holiday snaps?
i wish. a stupid thing about aims, objectives, and experiences. really silly. plus i don't havea creative bone in my body. not one that works anyway.

hate posters. always have.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Fill the spaces with pretty coloured squiggles and get extra marks for presentation.
randdom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
and if you do boarders around the bits that you stick on in a contrasting colour then they will be so amazed by the pretty colours that they will give you a good mark ( i wish is happend like that i have to do one this time next year for my elective )
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Buckingham
    Open Evening Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (11)
37.93%
No (18)
62.07%

Watched Threads