This discussion is closed.
Fluffy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by randdom)
Do you mean that they get kicked out :eek3:
Yup - can't be trusted to sign in honestly/you sign in fraudlently for someone else then you can't be trusted with patient records, drugs charts, TTAs etc... It's seen as a major fitness to practice issue...
Daveo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Only some of our things are compulsary. Mainly PBL and friday afternoon lectures.
randdom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Daveo)
Only some of our things are compulsary. Mainly PBL and friday afternoon lectures.
We have to have 80% attendance any less than that and we automatically fail
randdom
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Fluffy)
Yup - can't be trusted to sign in honestly/you sign in fraudlently for someone else then you can't be trusted with patient records, drugs charts, TTAs etc... It's seen as a major fitness to practice issue...
how often does that happen?
Revenged
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Philosoraptor)
In UCL are certain compulsory and non-compulsory, or all compulsory? etc
don't read too much into my ranting... we have embryology and histology computer sessions that you can do at home anyway so there is not much point in staying for 2 hours if you aren't going to get anything out of it... and no you don't have to go any lectures... but it isn't school... it may sound brilliant but in the long term the problem is that we don't get checked up at all basically... i have a couple of friends that are really messed up at the moment because they have missed so much... and no one has even noticed... it does leave you with the impression that people high up don't really seem to care... and this is the main problem with the course is if you don't actively seek help from people then you tend to go unnoticed... and this is a real problem imo...

in the end of the day, it is within you interests to turn up... and considering how little help you get at uni and the amount we are bombarded with - it is really in your interests to turn up...
Philosoraptor
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Ah ok yes I agree. But then there are some lessons/lecturers where you know that you could teach yourself just as well!
Revenged
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
you mean you won't bother to turn up for a lecture and yet you'd bother to teach yourself... lol... madness... i'm the complete opposite... if i didn't go to the lecture then i'd make an active effort to put off that lecture i've missed indefinitely...
Daveo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
If only we had the freedom to choose to go to what we get most out of. Unfortunately I'm forced to attend PBL just to sit there for a couple of hours doodling - I get little out of it but I must attend.
I get most out of the random teaching sessions given by doctors encountered on the wards. I don't go seeking these sessions as often as I should but perhaps if I didnt have to spend my time dotting i's and crossing t's.
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
how often does that happen?
We were told that there were 3 last year...
randdom
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
We were told that there were 3 last year...
thats a lot of people I know of a few people who have been up in front of a disciplinary committee but none that have been kicked up.
Philosoraptor
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Revenged)
you mean you won't bother to turn up for a lecture and yet you'd bother to teach yourself... lol... madness... i'm the complete opposite... if i didn't go to the lecture then i'd make an active effort to put off that lecture i've missed indefinitely...
Ideally I'll attend all lectures. But if I start finding one lecturer useless, I'll just teach myself the thing rather than sit there aimlessly.
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I've only ever missed one lecture since the first year - that was a few weeks ago and was so I could give a lecture (a clinical demonstration) to the current first years. It rocked! Getting quite in to all aspects of academic medicine...
Philosoraptor
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Hehe, finally mature student isn't an oxymoron!
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Cheeky bugger! I'm not mature!
randdom
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I've only ever missed one lecture since the first year - that was a few weeks ago and was so I could give a lecture (a clinical demonstration) to the current first years. It rocked! Getting quite in to all aspects of academic medicine...
That sounds interesting what was it on?
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
That sounds interesting what was it on?
Coeliac disease - presented a patient and then went through a ppt of signs/symptoms, diagnosis and treatment. Was really fun
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
For undergrad, nobody cared if you were in lectures or not, as long as you passed at the end of the year. The joy of the supervision system is it's usually fairly easy to pick out someone who's clearly not keeping up. I went to most of them, but missed a fair few for illness/hangover/hatred of subject. Practicals had an 80% attendance requirement though.

Nowadays, it's still no biggie if you don't go to lectures, though they're generally much more useful. Seminars etc are sign in, as are some ward bits and bobs, but some firms care a lot more about the existence of their students than others.

I'm not sure I actually know of disciplinary cases about signing in for other people, but it's certainly much naughtier to get someone to sign you in when you weren't there than it is to just not go and face the music later.
Renal
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Cheeky bugger! I'm not mature!
Just old.
Ribbons
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
We only sign in for practicals...and dissection. But I always though that since it requires your signature, you couldn't really get someone to sign you in (I do realise people still may do that...and who knows if they sit there and compare your signature eh?)
We have 7 one day clinical attachments every fortnight, and need to get a log book signed at the end of the day- every attachment must be attended and signed for. I *think* its the same for later years too, but I don't know..

Speaking of clinical attachments, Ive got child health tomorrow I'm looking forward to it!
Revenged
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I have a question about the MTAS form... We had a 10 mins talk from the clinical president about this form today... He was telling us that we should prepare for this form now (wtf?)... i have no idea what he was talking about... he told a story of a friend who spent every tuesday and friday during pre-clinical years seeing neuroscience operations and kept a portfolio of everything he had seen... and then suggested that this was the reason he got a surgical post...

naturally, i didn't believe a single word of this nonsense and i'd rather die than be a surgeon... but when i was in dissection, i started talking to one of the demonstrators - i didn't actually learn anything but he did tell me a few interesting things... he was a retired surgeon and he told me that his son failed his surgeons exams and was left unemployable and so had to re-train himself as a GP... what was that about?

so because these two things happened today... it got me thinking a bit about the future and stuff... i don't know anything about the form and i'm not going to do anything about it at this stage... but i was just wondering does it matter what BSc i've picked... and does it matter if you don't do lab work for your BSc dissertation... may be a stupid question but I don't want to do my BSc and then to think that I've made a mistake two years down the line... cheers...
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (16)
19.75%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (35)
43.21%
Nope, not that interesting (30)
37.04%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise